Sponsored

I "think" Ford secretly allows Ceratec.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, going back to the thread's subject: Does Ford openly (or officially) allow the use of Ceratec now??? I hope I never have to use that crap, but if Ford guarantees not voiding the engine warranty with it, I'd be less skeptical to use it... if it comes to that (hopefully not). My 2019 owner's manual clearly says not to use any oil additives, and lists no exceptions. Unless there was a TSB, SSM, etc., stating the contrary, I'd do it only if it's driving me nuts. Ha ha. Also not addressed is if there are any potential consequences for using it with every oil change (which for me are every 5K miles).
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Hey gang, going back to the thread's subject: Does Ford openly (or officially) allow the use of Ceratec now??? I hope I never have to use that crap, but if Ford guarantees not voiding the engine warranty with it, I'd be less skeptical to use it... if it comes to that (hopefully not). My 2019 owner's manual clearly says not to use any oil additives, and lists no exceptions. Unless there was a TSB, SSM, etc., stating the contrary, I'd do it only if it's driving me nuts. Ha ha. Also not addressed is if there are any potential consequences for using it with every oil change (which for me are every 5K miles).
No.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Once you add ceratec to oil (I only can say about new oil, or nearly new), it will transform oil into a caramel/Frappuccino/whatever look right away. It will be very catchy if someone drains oil soon after. It will not be visible at the oil dipstick though.

If you want to prototype it - add ceratec to a jug of new oil and then shake it really well. You'll see what I mean. This is how I add ceratec to oil during oil change by the way. I want ceratec to be pre-mixed and start circulation right away.

When ceratec/oil mix gets old and I can say of mileage like 5k miles - it would look just like normal used oil - dark/black/not transparent.
I concur, I've never noticed on a dipstick or when draining when the OLM goes off. Only other way to tell it's in there is by how smooth the engine sounds.

shadowblack_badger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Evening folks. I have a 2017 GT 6spd. I purchased the car earlier this year and I only drive it maybe once a week for 20-30 miles at a time. Not a daily due to my employer providing a vehicle. I have the Mustang because I am an enthusiast. I had my first oil change since buying the car about a week ago at 42,000 miles at my local Ford dealer. Went for a 50 mile drive right after the service and once home I heard the “BBQ” tick. It was a younger guy who changed the oil and he seemed very quick... too I noted he had a bit of trouble driving a stick. So I feel like maybe he didn’t pre-fill the oil filter and was just ready to complete the job... a very novice job done. I’ve put roughly 4,000 (purchased with 38,000-42,000 current) miles on the car since buying it and have NEVER had a tick since having the most recent oil change. Ordered a bottle of Ceratec (20002) and poured it in. Cranked the car, heard ONE faded tick, and nothing since. Went for a burn...and it has never ran so good. Ran as good of not noticeably better than went I first test drove it. Came home, turned the car off, let it sit for 30-45 min, returned and re-started the car....flawless start and smooth idle. I’m impressed and hope this stuff continues to work (knock on wood). I believe oil cavitation is a culprit. Great forum. Glad to be a member.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I changed the oil on my Bullitt with 1,128 miles on the clock a few days ago, and after about 60 miles on 3 drives, I'm happy to report engine is one of the quietest Coytes I've heard, so at least for now, no need for any crap on my oil. Ha ha. Hope it stays that way, but I'm not claiming victory yet. Many folks report the tick at the second oil change, so I'll find out in 5K miles.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Ha ha. Hope it stays that way, but I'm not claiming victory yet. Many folks report the tick at the second oil change, so I'll find out in 5K miles.
It won't, my 2019 GT and 2020 GT both didn't tick for a while, and then one day they started. I really suspect Ford adds something in the factory fill to quiet it from new.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
my 2019 GT and 2020 GT both didn't tick for a while, and then one day they started.
At how many miles did each engine start ticking? And which oil, and OCIs, were you using? Thx.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
At how many miles did each engine start ticking? And which oil, and OCIs, were you using? Thx.
Mine instantly got a tick at its first oil change at 1500klm. The tick only lasted a few hundred klms after that. It came back at it's first annual oil change and mileage was about 5,000klms. Went away after a few hundred klms. At it's second annual service oil change (9,000 klms) in August it came back and has basically stayed but only intermittently. I have only ever used Royal Purple 5W-30. I have a bottle of Ceratec waiting to go in but debating with myself about getting the tick witnessed and recorded in the servicing history first. I did initially use the Royal Purple HPS but changed to the HP for later changes as they recommended this one for warrantied cars.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm doing my next change this week and I'm going try something different and use the Liqui Moly 5-W20 Ford spec oil on it's own without any Cera Tec.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I'm doing my next change this week and I'm going try something different and use the Liqui Moly 5-W20 Ford spec oil on it's own without any Cera Tec.
Cool..Update us on the outcome.

My plan is going down to 50-75 ml of ceratec next oil change. Currently on 150ml, no tick. I'm on prevention strategy - added ceratec before the tick started, but had it before the short block change.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Cool..Update us on the outcome.

My plan is going down to 50-75 ml of ceratec next oil change. Currently on 150ml, no tick. I'm on prevention strategy - added ceratec before the tick started, but had it before the short block change.
I contacted liqui moly and they said it's safe to use the full 6-7% dosage each change.

I had better results with two bottles over the one. But one was still a major improvement. With one there would be an occasional tick. Two bottles none at all. My car sounds like an old beater otherwise.

TomW801

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would also very much appreciate info about the result.

I have tried their MoS2 anti-friction treatment additive instead of Ceratec and that did nothing about the tick. About 200ml of Ceratec is my way at the moment.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've gotten to the point where I run QSUD 5w30, and I add just enough Ceratec with my new oil change while the engine is running until the tick stops. In my case I slowly pour it in at idle when ticking, and it takes about 100ml to make to ticking disappear. I like this better, because Ceratec is pretty expensive, and this way 1 bottle gives me 3 oil changes worth of silence.

Reactions: PKs

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
If you think you are having an 8,000 dollar engine failure and have used Ceratec, perhaps it might be worth it to do a 40 dollar oil change prior to taking it in. I'm on the fence right now. I didn't have the tick, then did an oil change, now I have it and the rattle just started yesterday... 7,200 miles. Wifey isn't happy and when I floated the "they probably won't do anything about it and are calling it normal" she gave the proverbial "Oh heeeeell no! It wasn't happening before!" Guess it costs more than just money to be cool....

Just got my 2nd oil change, 8400miles...I got the tick. It didn't do it before. I have my own garage and I listened to my car before all the time. I heard it on the way home from the dealer. It isn't bad but it is there. I may try the Ceratec.

shadowblack_badger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my 2nd oil change, 8400miles...I got the tick. It didn't do it before. I have my own garage and I listened to my car before all the time. I heard it on the way home from the dealer. It isn't bad but it is there. I may try the Ceratec.
Ceratec is 🔥🔥🔥
Sponsored