Sponsored

I swore to God I would NEVER own another GM product! But now...

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
Not just GT500 owners, I think this will make a lot of other car buyers consider a switch: the new Supra, BMW M3, porsche 718...and on and on...(Still out of my price range though)
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

If you swore off GM products for any particular reason, those reasons will still exist within this car, regardless of the engine position. I currently own my last GM, and won't be sad to see it go. GM is officially sworn off in my household, regardless of where they put the engines in the future.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
GM is the poster child for dysfunctional corporations. Every car they have made recently has had either a zillion recalls, suffered from stupid designs (camaro bath tub anyone?) Crappy quality...G6, Malibu.....Shame that a company I used to really like has never been able to get their stuff together after the GTO/ Chevelle SS/442 days.. What a waste.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Not just GT500 owners, I think this will make a lot of other car buyers consider a switch: the new Supra, BMW M3, porsche 718...and on and on...(Still out of my price range though)
See these are the matchups people are missing. Corvette isn't even in the same class as a Mustang. It's going to be $10k+ more starting than a well equipped GT Premium, a two seater, with a fraction of the cargo space. If you compare it to a GT500 then yes, it's cheaper on price but you're comparing a base car to a limited production model. It's not as special.

People will absolutely cross-shop this between the Supra, BMW Z4M, and the 718. Those cars are literally in it's crosshairs: same price range, 2 seaters, auto/DCT roadsters. Hell, the 718 is mid-engine as well. If I was interested in any of those cars(which I was interested in the Supra and 718) you would be dumb not to strongly consider a C8 instead

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I always wanted a Chevrolet SS, but they are getting harder to find with decent pricing and condition. It was sad how GM did not upgrade much of the SS in the last years to a better engine, transmission, and infotainment/safety package

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hardly the same price. You have to import it without an engine. When it is done:

Ultima GTR

Specifications
PRICE AS TESTED: $152,150 (base price: $138,300)

ENGINE TYPE: pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, GM engine-control system with port fuel injection

Displacement: 346 cu in, 5663cc
Power (SAE net): 345 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 350 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 5-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase:
100.0 in Length: 162.0 in
Curb weight: 2314 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.4 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 26.3 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 3.9 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 11.9 sec @ 117 mph
Top speed (redline limited): 157 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 199 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.98 g

and you end up with pretty much the same performance minus the comfort.
Suggest those figures are for a different car. Ultima gtr with stock 6.2 Chevy is ÂŁ68k and does 0-100-0 mph in 10.3 seconds. Not really compatible with anything you are ever likely to meet on the road.... unless you count the mulsanne as a road. The new RS model is a similar price and a bit faster, or much faster depending on the engine option. The big one is a genuine 250mph car

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I was was sorta GM snob for a while, but bought a dodge 5 years ago and know have few Fords. I'm not brand loyal but I was fed up with GM. Didn't really care about anything sold except for a Vette maybe a Camaro.

Was looking at C6s before I bought my Mustang. I plan on keeping the Mustang for a while, so unless Ford comes out with some great stuff in the next 4-5 years. I might end up in a C8.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I always wanted a Chevrolet SS, but they are getting harder to find with decent pricing and condition. It was sad how GM did not upgrade much of the SS in the last years to a better engine, transmission, and infotainment/safety package
They came loaded with pretty much every option gm has.
I think everyone wanted them to drop a LT1 or LT4 in them but Holden was shutting down so it would be a waste of money.

What they should have done was make them 300-400 lighter. Would have been a killer.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Does anyone actually hate the C8? I will be first to say who actually loves the Z06 more than any Mustang that it to me doesn't seem that great. Don't get me wrong I don't NOT like it, it looks good I would take one in a heart beat. But it seems like GM sold everyone with the price tag which also could be a bad thing because that means everyone and their mom is going to have one now.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I wouldn't count on that. Social media price is not the reality you'll encounter at the dealership.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
But it seems like GM sold everyone with the price tag which also could be a bad thing because that means everyone and their mom is going to have one now.
Saying one wants one and actually getting one will be two different things. I'd be willing to guess 90% of people fervoring the Corvette are people who "will always hate the Corvette and would take a 911 GT3RS over it any day!" People are "sold" but in reality (because this is social media we're talking that's hyped it up) many are probably...

perfect-credit-score.jpg

demo_template.png

Chevrolet-Cavalier.jpg

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Saying one wants one and actually getting one will be two different things. I'd be willing to guess 90% of people fervoring the Corvette are people who "will always hate the Corvette and would take a 911 GT3RS over it any day!" People are "sold" but in reality (because this is social media we're talking that's hyped it up) many are probably...

perfect-credit-score.jpg

demo_template.png

Chevrolet-Cavalier.jpg
So you're saying it is still going to be a mid-life crisis car?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So you're saying it is still going to be a mid-life crisis car?
Wouldn't surprise me. There's outliers all over the place though too and the forums isn't a good place to analyze what an average buyer is. The average car buyer isn't on online forums. The average Mustang buyer isn't on forums. The average Mustang GT buyer isn't on forums. The average GT350 buyer probably isn't either. See how far we drilled down?

At 31 years old, being on the forums, of South Korean descent, and living in the midwest, I'm DEFINITELY a C8 outlier. I couldn't care less if the Corvette is a midlife crisis car. Here's another "measurement" that you could look at: the average Corvette owner in my autocross chapter for SCCA is probably early 30's. Ah, but I also didn't mention yet that they're mainly C6 GS's and C5Z's. Most of the C7's are owned by men >55 I'm guessing. One C7 is owned by my buddy who's 33.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... But it seems like GM sold everyone with the price tag which also could be a bad thing because that means everyone and their mom is going to have one now.
If that has any influence on your choice to buy a C8 (or any particular car, for that matter), you haven't lined up enough "right" reasons to even be shopping for it.

Never ever let other peoples' choices dictate yours.

Norm
Sponsored