Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you remember what upgrades the original '69 Mach 1 in regards to the normal Mustang GT?
LMAO good ol interior and stripes package

That’s why I laugh when people talk about this Mach 1 not being as “special” as the old ones

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Do you remember what upgrades the original '69 Mach 1 in regards to the normal Mustang GT?
The differences from the standard Mustangs are well-documented for '69 and the other years the Mach 1 was produced.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

That’s why I laugh when people talk about this Mach 1 not being as “special” as the old ones
Well, a little bit more but I get your point..

The Mach 1 started with a V8-powered SportsRoof body and added numerous visual and performance enhancing items such as matte black hood treatment with hood pins, hood scoop (including optional Shaker scoop), competition suspension, chrome pop-open gas cap, revised wheels with Goodyear Polyglas tires, chrome exhaust tips (except 351W 2V), deluxe interior, livery and dealer optional chin spoiler, rear deck spoiler, and rear window louvers (SportSlats).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_Mach_1

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, a little bit more but I get your point..

The Mach 1 started with a V8-powered SportsRoof body and added numerous visual and performance enhancing items such as matte black hood treatment with hood pins, hood scoop (including optional Shaker scoop), competition suspension, chrome pop-open gas cap, revised wheels with Goodyear Polyglas tires, chrome exhaust tips (except 351W 2V), deluxe interior, livery and dealer optional chin spoiler, rear deck spoiler, and rear window louvers (SportSlats).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_Mach_1
Most of those options were also available on the GT. The primary difference with the Mach 1 was the stickers (including the hood), the optional shaker, and the fact that it wasn’t offered with a 302

Other than that, they were the same. GT options just aren’t well documented because they were SO rare for 69 (only about 5000 made, as opposed to the 70k+ Mach 1s)

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I've owned a lot of old muscle cars. The big thing back then wasn't the name like Mach one or cobra. The big thing was the actual power plant the car had . Rare engines like 427 medium riser, boss 429, the 429 super Cobra jet which actually was put into a Mustang as well. Though mostly in Torino's. Engines like the 428 Cobra jet was just a cheaper version of what Ford achieved with the 427. Like people today complaining that the Mach 1 will only have the 5.0 instead of the 5.2. but as we all know the 428 Cobra jet set record after record at the drag strip back in the late sixties. Even though it really wasn't the serious engine the 427 was.

But all those engines are nothing compared to the coyote. The coyote was designed for the Mustang even though they do have it in F 150s. I consider the Coyote engine the most advanced american-made performance engine that's produced in large quantities. Stuff from GM and Chrysler is just large engines with the blower on top or not. Ford could produce another engine like the 429 in a heartbeat because the technology is so ancient.

I took my 2018 out tonight making likely around 750 horsepower at the engine and just laughed as I was watching and feeling the car shifting through the gears sideways with that 10-speed automatic and my car shifting at 8,000 RPM.

What "advanced" engine from Chrysler or GM does that? 8K rpm from 307 cubic inches?

Last edited:

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I've owned a lot of old muscle cars. The big thing back then wasn't the name like Mach one or cobra. The big thing was the actual power plant the car had . Rare engines like 427 medium riser, boss 429, the 429 super Cobra jet which actually was put into a Mustang as well. Though mostly in Torino's. Engines like the 428 Cobra jet was just a cheaper version of what Ford achieved with the 427. Like people today complaining that the Mach 1 will only have the 5.0 instead of the 5.2. but as we all know the 428 Cobra jet set record after record at the drag strip back in the late sixties. Even though it really wasn't the serious engine the 427 was.

But all those engines are nothing compared to the coyote. The coyote was designed for the Mustang even though they do have it in F 150s. I consider the Coyote engine the most advanced american-made performance engine that's produced in large quantities. Stuff from GM and Chrysler is just large engines with the blower on top or not. Ford could produce another engine like the 429 in a heartbeat because the technology is so ancient.

I took my 2018 out tonight making likely around 750 horsepower at the engine and just laughed as I was watching and feeling the car shifting through the gears sideways with that 10-speed automatic and my car shifting at 8,000 RPM.

What "advanced" engine from Chrysler or GM does that? 8K rpm from 307 cubic inches?
GreenS550, thanks for the observations! My '69 was a 'mere' 351W and even when I put the 4-bbl on it, it was fun but NOTHING like the Coyote! Even the big block ones my friends had couldn't touch the Coyote, or the mileage we get from these engines. I love the "kick in the butt" from my M6 '15 GT Premium with Power Pack II (for which there is documentation on the web of pushing 480 hp, same as will be in the Mach 1). I look forward to feeling that kick from the A10 '21 Mach 1!

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP

I love the Coyote, but I don't think it's really anymore advanced than an Hemi or the LS/LT. I mean the DOHC engine has been around longer than a pushrod and isn't as light or compact. I think GM has done well with their motors and they certainly have their advantages including better low end power.

And FCA is putting their "low-tech" V8's in everything nowadays where Ford is still being a bitch with their Ecoboosts. Always remember that if the next-gen Raptor gets the Predator, it's solely because the TRX exists.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I love the Coyote, but I don't think it's really anymore advanced than an Hemi or the LS/LT. I mean the DOHC engine has been around longer than a pushrod and isn't as light or compact. I think GM has done well with their motors and they certainly have their advantages including better low end power.

And FCA is putting their "low-tech" V8's in everything nowadays where Ford is still being a bitch with their Ecoboosts. Always remember that if the next-gen Raptor gets the Predator, it's solely because the TRX exists.
DOHC around longer than the pushrod engine? It's like comparing guns to knives. I don't think so. The hemi and LS engines don't make the power per cubic inch the coyote does. Can't do the RPMs. Can't time the camshafts independently. 2 vs 4 valves power cylinder. You've got to be pulling my leg. Port and direct injection. The list goes on and on.

The engines from fca and GM are very, very similar to those of the 50s and 60s.

My ecoboost 2.3 ranger with only a 5 star tune does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. Try that in an fca gladiator or GM colorado. Then try getting 26 mpg at the same time.

Ford's technology is so beyond the competition its unbelievable. And one of the reasons both Chrysler and GM filled for bankruptcy.

Are you a troll?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R

I see, so I guess the whole 5.2L or different engine is pretty much irrelevant.

Personally I didn't have a problem with the engine, but I did wish they would have added in the fog lights. I really liked the quad headlights design of the early S197 mustangs.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
DOHC around longer than the pushrod engine? It's like comparing guns to knives. I don't think so.
Came here to say this. The first OHV engines came around in the 1800s, whereas the first DOHC engine ever made was used in a race car by Peugeot in 1918. Pushrod engines are DEFINITELY older

But even beyond the whole “technology” debate, it ultimately comes down to smart power vs dumb power. Smart power is maximizing volumetric efficiency to make the very most out of a given displacement (see: Formula 1) whereas dumb power is just adding displacement to the same old formula to make more torque at the same RPM, which ultimately equates to more power as a side effect. Personally, I prefer smart power

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
DOHC around longer than the pushrod engine? It's like comparing guns to knives. I don't think so. The hemi and LS engines don't make the power per cubic inch the coyote does. Can't do the RPMs. Can't time the camshafts independently. 2 vs 4 valves power cylinder. You've got to be pulling my leg. Port and direct injection. The list goes on and on.

The engines from fca and GM are very, very similar to those of the 50s and 60s.

My ecoboost 2.3 ranger with only a 5 star tune does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. Try that in an fca gladiator or GM colorado. Then try getting 26 mpg at the same time.

Ford's technology is so beyond the competition its unbelievable. And one of the reasons both Chrysler and GM filled for bankruptcy.

Are you a troll?
Yeah, that's my bad. I know DOHC engines have been around for over 100 years, just assumed that nothing could be older than that.

But I still stand by everything else I said. LS motors are still dimensionally smaller and package better, and make more usable power. Sure they don't rev as high, but again in the city the LS wins. I do like that Ford went with the dual injection with the gen 3 Coyotes, and not sure why Chevy did not with their LT2 especially since the LT5 had it.

Chrysler and GM went bankrupt because they were mismanaged companies, not because their V8's were "old technology".

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Part of mismanagement is not doing the r&d. GM stuck with what was easy and that was not doing engine development that they should have done. We do have them to thank for the magnaride though. Still a fixed camshaft in a block is very old design. the only thing older than that in the development of the automobile is the Flathead. And I remember as a kid all the old timers saying oh I remember I poured it and polished the block!

Ford spends over $1,000 more per engine then both GM and FCA. That's because they want to make a better product that will spin faster, get better mileage.

Many of us have had dependable coyotes running 8,000 RPMs. So to some degree it makes the voodoo engine not worth the big bucks to make it. Being able to wind your coyote up to 8,000 RPM through the gears makes the coyote an engine of world-class. Makes it a fun car to drive.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Many of us have had dependable coyotes running 8,000 RPMs. So to some degree it makes the voodoo engine not worth the big bucks to make it.
This here is what I don’t like about the GT350. The flat plane crank, contrary to popular belief, doesn’t actually allow the car to rev higher. What DOES allow the car to rev higher is the incredible heads that are on it. But the FPC itself provides very little performance benefit, yet creates a whole lot of problems with harmonic balance. The Coyote doesn’t have this problem, and a good set of heads on it will allow it to rev just as high as a voodoo with less problems... that’s exactly why I wish Ford would’ve installed GT350 heads on the car, but that would be incredibly difficult to achieve global approval for, so I’m not too disappointed by it