Sponsored

I never bought a car off the showroom floor... until TODAY!

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I've been pining for this car since I first saw one in early 2016. I've been desperate to own one since i first drove (and heard) one a couple of months ago. Today was the day I finally made it happen. I'm in shock.

In case you're wondering, I traded in a Chevrolet SS 6-speed manual (aka Holden Commodore). Sad to see that one go, but very excited for the beast I just parked in my garage. I have been on the fence between GT350 and ZL1... I'm not a Chevy guy or a Ford guy. I'm a "buy the best car for me" guy. After two consecutive SS sport sedans, the natural progression was an LT4 car, right? I became obsessed with 650hp. But something just didn't work for me on that car. I got all the way to the finance guy on Thursday on a new ZL1 before I walked out. Something just wasn't sitting well with me. That something was this damn Shelby I can't seem to shake. Today I finally decided to just "send it." :rockon:

Here she is as they started her up and pulled her off the showroom floor.

Sponsored

Stunt1o1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Altima - daily
Congrats! And nice color

15pgnatsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Nice! That color in stripeless is super sweet.

Just curious, what were your thoughts on the SS? A lot of people dog on them for not being exciting-looking enough but I always stare at them when I see them because I dig their subtle aggressiveness. I'm a little iffy on GM but I think sport sedans are super cool and the SS always catches my eye as they seem to be crazy rare.

OP
OP

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350

Just curious, what were your thoughts on the SS? A lot of people dog on them for not being exciting-looking enough but I always stare at them when I see them because I dig their subtle aggressiveness. I'm a little iffy on GM but I think sport sedans are super cool and the SS always catches my eye as they seem to be crazy rare.
I actually owned TWO of them. First a 2014. I too fell in love with the subtle aggressive look. But I quickly bored of the auto transmission which seems to suck the life out of the LS3. Then the 6-speed came out and it took me a year to find one! Totally different car with the stick and bi-modal exhaust.

Driving a sleeper is fun, but after a while being totally invisible gets old. And as good as the SS sounds, itā€™s no match for the GT350. I will miss some of the creature comforts, as this is my daily driver, but whatever.

Hereā€™s a pic of both my ā€˜14 and ā€˜16 the day I did that trade a little more than two years ago...
C7899DF9-4342-426C-868F-3378D2BEAED9.jpeg

OP
OP

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Iā€™m actually considering adding the black stripes and black roof. I tried to work them into the deal but my dealer claimed his cost on the stripe kit was $2,400 + labor (hard to believe, but okay). For that kinda $ Iā€™m sure I could have them PAINTED on. Anyway, I figured I could find a vinyl shop to do it or ask the forum.

Hereā€™s one local shop that charges $230 + $150 labor. Thoughts...?

https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2015-17-gt350-full-length-stripes.html

Sponsored

15pgnatsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
I actually owned TWO of them. First a 2014. I too fell in love with the subtle aggressive look. But I quickly bored of the auto transmission which seems to suck the life out of the LS3. Then the 6-speed came out and it took me a year to find one! Totally different car with the stick and bi-modal exhaust.

Driving a sleeper is fun, but after a while being totally invisible gets old. And as good as the SS sounds, itā€™s no match for the GT350. I will miss some of the creature comforts, as this is my daily driver, but whatever.

Hereā€™s a pic of both my ā€˜14 and ā€˜16 the day I did that trade a little more than two years ago...
C7899DF9-4342-426C-868F-3378D2BEAED9.jpeg
Very nice. I definitely prefer the '16 looks and of course the six speed.

Iā€™m actually considering adding the black stripes and black roof. I tried to work them into the deal but my dealer claimed his cost on the stripe kit was $2,400 + labor (hard to believe, but okay). For that kinda $ Iā€™m sure I could have them PAINTED on. Anyway, I figured I could find a vinyl shop to do it or ask the forum.

I got a quote to have vinyl stripes installed on my GT350 to my specs by a vinyl shop (long story) in the more expensive part of Seattle and it was only $750. $2400 is definitely a rip off.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Awesome, and having the video of it still in the showroom is a nice touch. Back in 1998 when my family bought our 95 M3 I still vividly remember walking into the dealership and seeing that bright yellow car sitting in the center of the dealership floor standing out among all the others. Looking back I would have loved to have a picture of it sitting in that dealership now.

I haven't seen them myself, but others have said the big worm stripes are actually higher quality than the Ford stripes. As you mentioned, once you get over $2k you're likely better off just having them painted on.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Congrats. You will enjoy it.

For me, Never, never stick on what you can paint on. In my past vehicles I try to get any decals, stick on things taken off before I sign. You should see how fast they come off.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice. I definitely prefer the '16 looks and of course the six speed.

I got a quote to have vinyl stripes installed on my GT350 to my specs by a vinyl shop (long story) in the more expensive part of Seattle and it was only $750. $2400 is definitely a rip off.
I knew it was you.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, and having the video of it still in the showroom is a nice touch. Back in 1998 when my family bought our 95 M3 I still vividly remember walking into the dealership and seeing that bright yellow car sitting in the center of the dealership floor standing out among all the others. Looking back I would have loved to have a picture of it sitting in that dealership now.

I haven't seen them myself, but others have said the big worm stripes are actually higher quality than the Ford stripes. As you mentioned, once you get over $2k you're likely better off just having them painted on.
This seems crazy to me.

The Ford ones are really nice. I was hugely impressed with them when I took them off of my car.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Beautiful and congrats. Watching everyone in that showroom light up when that beast is started never gets old for me. Seems like everyone in my neighborhood needs to be outside all of a sudden when I turn the key and back out of my garage. Lol
Sponsored