Sponsored

I need help(drag racing tips)

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
First time in my life ever on drsgstrip. I have LT ARH x pipe stock mufflers, cold air and a tune. My fastest time was a 13.13 at 111.69. So disappointed. The car spun it's ass off out the gate. Launch control was useless. Spun all over the place. My best run I Spun in first, wheel hop and Spun some more, took my foot off the gas ,then got back into, chirped 3rd gear and hit 4 no where no red line at 13.13 at 111.69. Tires. Nitto invos 315 30 20. Stock suspension. My last run someone told me to let the air out the tires. I had 34 psi in the rear. What's a good psi to run on the track? I'm so scared of the half shafts breaking evertime it wheel hop I got out of it then then tried to get back on it. I guess my questions are? How do I get off the line without spinning? What a good drag radial tire I should buy that I can drive on the street and hook at the track? Psi level on the rear tires? Best wheel hop bushings to buy? Oh also I didn't do a burnout before I left. Just Rev and drop the clutch .with my mods I've seen guys in the high 11s low to mid 12s. Thanks for your help. I'll try and post a video
Sponsored

Timm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
the guys in the high 11's and low 12's are Automatic trans guys. It takes more finesse in a manual. And probably drag radials and yes Id lower the tire psi to app 24 and see how that works for you. As far as the clutch dont dump it, but come off it slowly and dont rev to the redline but ease into the throttle to get to wot. same for 2nd etc. as you get more experience the et's will come down.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
First off, if you feel wheel hop get out of it and the Half Shafts wont break. You need to learn to ride the clutch out slowly and feed the throttle in slowly. They should both be a one thousand one-one thousand two count type of release. Try launching between 2500 and 3000RPMs and air the tires down to 26 psi. Takes a lot of practice to get a manual right. 13.1 isn't bad at all for a first timer.:cheers:

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Im running 12.4 in a pp and no headers with stock pzeros,like the guy before me said,do not rev and dump the clutch,just a little rpm and slip the clutch a little.I run 21psi in my pzeros but not to sure about the invos.Make sure ur tires are dry before launching, u should be able to get a decent 60 ft with that size tire.Play with the tire pressure and try coming out a little easier.11,s are definitely doable with ur mods and a manual.

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
While I have an automatic now, for 30+ yrs all my cars were stick cars. All these guys are giving you the right advice. Seat time is your best help. Pretend like there's a cop next to you when you take off but you still want to beat him without breaking loose......it's aggressive finesse. Remember the fastest clutch cars on the planet slip their clutch, but not TOO much.

Sponsored

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
What got rid of my wheel hop was Steeda subframe support braces and steeda subframe bushings. Id put those in immediately if i were you, cured my wheelhop. As for launch get off the line like you would from a stop light by slipping the clutch only at higher rpm start low like 1500 and go higher. Definately on street tires lower to about 25 psi and do a 2nd gear burnout for a good 2 or 3 seconds to heat and clean them off, nothing crazy cause anything more wont benefit from street tires. Drag radials i hear great things about mickey thompson ET streets, when i get drag radials it prob will be them. Also Nitto NT05R drag radials. Replace half shafts first before launching on drag radials, thats what snaps them for sure

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm gonna try and do better as far as slipping the cluch. No more power adders until I can put the power down. Bushing is definitely first on the list

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm gonna try and do better as far as slipping the cluch. No more power adders until I can put the power down. Bushing is definitely first on the list
youll get the hang of it man. Find an empty parking lot or a non busy straight road, and practice slipping the clutch so you get minimal spin and no engine bog. For the time being get yourself the Steeda Subframe Braces. Those cured just about every ounce of wheelhop i had. You may not even need the bushings after the braces, although it wont hurt to put them anyhow. If you can get both then get both, but i guarantee your wheelhop will just about be all gone. The subframe braces are not hard to install either!

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how long should a stock clutch be good for if tracking often? this is my first manual

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
how long should a stock clutch be good for if tracking often? this is my first manual
Not real long. The problem with a manual is to get a good time you have to ride the clutch at RPM. Which wears them out in a hurry. Just upgrade when the first stock clutch wears out. Twin disc clutch is your best bet but pricy!

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
consider buying dedicated drag tires. MT Drag radials hook IMO the best and you can drive them to and from the track
There is NO street tire that will ever hook up at the track or the street for that matter
with any sorta power ..
Sponsored