Sponsored

I messed up. Gonna miss the Mustang...

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi All. I messed up :(

As what typically happens to me come spring time, I got tempted to shop around for cars. I have a '16 GT 6MT, 22500 miles. Its a Base with Sync 3 sway, F150 manifold, GT350 sway bars, and RTR axleback. But I've always been a big Miata fan and developed a taste for that "flavor" recently. Its kind of the exact opposite of the Mustang but I think equally as fun. It was further justified by all the money I'll save in fuel, insurance, taxes, which will be almost $100/month.

I ended up agreeing to trade in the Mustang on a 2017 RF and got what I think is a pretty good deal, but as soon as I started removing my mods from the Mustang I got all nostalgic and upset and now have the worst case of buyers remorse. I've tried pleading with the dealer to cancel the deal and keep my $500 deposit but no dice. They have graciously offered to sell the Mustang back to me for $1k more than they gave me, which isn't awful, but factor in taxes and fees and it turns into $3k quickly. Plus what to do with the Mazda...

While I would hate to give them the business, I'd like to see it go to another forum member. Lia Auto Group in CT/MA/NY will have it tomorrow. At the moment they have it advertised as an Auto / Premium :facepalm:

To help in your negotiations, be sure to point out the following:
-Rust on the hood -I already had it approved for warranty replacement but there's a 4 month backorder on new hoods
-Weak A/C - ford recharged the AC last summer for me, said they couldn't find a leak. Its weak again. I suspect evap core
-Needs tires

They offered it to me for $26,000. If anyone decides to look at it and has any questions, let me know. I have removed the mods except for GT350 Sway Bars. Its super clean and drives really well, and I will sure miss it.
20181107_162118.jpg
20181107_162209.jpg
Sponsored

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
I have a Miata, too. It’s a blast. You can drive the fuck out of it without breaking too many laws. Enjoy it for a while and step back into another Mustang when you’re ready.

OP
OP

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You guys are right and thanks for the encouragement. The hardest part about walking away from it is the power and sound, you just can't beat it. On the flip side I get top up or down flexibility, great handling (with some mods) and around 35 mpg...so not all bad

First world problems

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
If I was gonna ever get rid of my mustang if would be for the 2019 Miata. Isn't the 2017 only rated at 151 hp? I know the new miatas got a power bump.

For the price and performance you just can't beat it and when I hear that v8 roar I know I'm gonna kill myself if I ever go and trade her in for a 4 banger.

Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Thing is the Miata is a totally different beast. You will enjoy it a ton. Plus a new mustang will come out in a few years and you can trade back then.

Pretty awesome of you to point out some of those details which would give others a good deal. True mustang man there.

Post some pics of the maita if you get the chance

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted a Miata - every one I tried on was too small. I'd have needed goggles to drive it with the top down. Top up would have been impossible. I tried, I really tried.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Dont look it as losing the mustang, look at as gaining a new home for that coyote v8 in the future. Plenty of kits out there to make it happen. Until then enjoy that car, it looks great and what they lack in power they more than make up for in driving experience

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Miata? I can't even fit in one of those! And I'm not fat.

OP
OP

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks guys! I appreciate the positive responses

Re: Miata HP, the 16-18 were rated at 155, 2019 rated at 181 but most of the added power is from the extended rpm range (revs to 7500 vs 6800). The extra power would be nice but I enjoy midrange punch more than ringing the car to high RPMs. A $500 tune adds about 10whp and a nice midrange increase to the 16-18 and I'd rather do that and save $10k on the price of the car.

They definitely are cramped and noisy but that comes with the territory. I am 5'9 pounds and my gf is 5'4 so we fit pretty well.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Congrats man, the Miata is sure to be a lot of fun. At the same time, the Miata wasn't made for a guy like me. I'm 6'2 and it feels claustrophobic. Same thing with the Crossfire that came out years ago. I think it was made by Chrysler. Enjoy it and don't look back. Block out the thoughts of the Mustang since it's already a done deal. Give the Miata a fair chance and see what happens.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
They definitely are cramped and noisy but that comes with the territory. I am 5'9 pounds and my gf is 5'4 so we fit pretty well.
I drove an RF and loved it. I'd be in it now, except during the test drive we passed an 18 wheeler. My wife looked up at it, then turned to me and said "Buy whatever you want, but I'll never get in one of these again." So, I ended up with a Mustang. The horror. :angel:

That being said, all my friends who have / had Miatas have loved them.

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No worries. Just enjoy the miata for a while until you get in a newer mustang down the road.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Hey Redryan98 I just did a similar thing in 2017. Traded my 50 year GT in for a 2017 Focus ST3. Fun car. Reversed that yesterday for a new 2019 California Special. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Miata and come back when you're ready to an even better Mustang.
Sponsored