Sponsored

I live in NOLA and have to replace my windshield every time I sneeze (5th one)

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So this might sound like a pretty stupid thread, but I'm legitimately wondering if there are any "aftermarket" windshields that can be installed in these cars. I've replaced my windshield twice this year, twice last year, and once a week or two after I took delivery. I now have to replace it again.

None of these rocks have come from trucks, and I've caught just about all of them on dash cam. In some cases, I've just been driving one direction on the interstate and a rock kicks over from the opposite traffic, sometimes multiple lanes away. It never fails. I'm barely even home nowadays to drive it.

A friend suggested getting protection on the windshield, but I almost wonder if that's actually good enough. I have never gotten a small rock chip that hasn't spread within the next few minutes, so I never really have the chance to seal them even though I carry around one of those kits.

Anyone have any experience with aftermarket windshields by chance? Any reasons to avoid even going that route? Any experience with protection on the windshield (e.g., yellowing, decreasing visibility in the rain, etc.)?
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I just replaced my sons on his ‘01 GT with Safelite and with in a month he got a descent rock chip and the windshield has a spider web of cracks that I’ve not experienced with OEM. I will say I won’t use them again.

Typically it should have just been a rock chip that I could pay the $20 and had the gel put in, now I’ve got to replace it again.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I just replaced my sons on his ‘01 GT with Safelite and with in a month he got a descent rock chip and the windshield has a spider web of cracks that I’ve not experienced with OEM. I will say I won’t use them again.

Typically it should have just been a rock chip that I could pay the $20 and had the gel put in, now I’ve got to replace it again.
I thought the same thing for a moment, but I think they all use the same Ford OEM glass if I'm not mistaken. I had the same thing happen awhile ago with another vendor that used the original glass. :\

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Safelite manufactures their own glass and their quality standards are inferior to ford or anyone else. I've seen waviness in their glass due to variations in thickness. Their installers are vastly under qualified, I wouldn't let those hacks replace the window on my grand daughters power wheels. Also most insurance companies have a deal worked out with safelite to steer you in their direction. When you call to make a claim for a new windshield, they say they are transferring you to the right dept, but in reality you get put on the line with a safelite rep who's entire job is to get you to agree to a safelite windshield.

Google safelite complaints and see for yourself.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I wouldn't make a blanket statement on Safelite techs being vastly unqualified. I know 2 that have been in the business for decades, but their glass does suck.

Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Pretty sure a lot of for dealers will just call in a safelite guy and use OEM glass.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Safelite does not manufacture glass. Where do you come up with this shit.

Safelite uses Fuyao as there generic glass brand which is a huge supplier of glass. I went with the generic brand as the replacement. The Ford glass sucks ass and a small rock chip caused crack that couldn't be repaired. I had it replaced at Safelite with the Fuyao for 100 dollars less than the Ford OEM. They did a great job.

http://www.fuyaousa.com

After replacement my wife got a rock chip in the windshield and we went back to Safelite and the repaired the chip. The replacement windshield from Fuyao held up much better than the Ford OEM which cracked minutes after the rock chip.

Last edited:

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Im not impressed with Ford oem either tbh. As far as chip or crack resistance goes.

Deleted member 35786

Nice thing about Safelite is your warranty is for 1yr. So if you have any issues they will just change your windshield for you. I have had no issues with them on our cars. Its free glass breakage here in Florida so cost me zero dollars to have one replaced.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Altjx, your probably right. Maybe it wasn’t a quality issue with durability on their part. Aggravating it most.

Sponsored

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
The OEM glass on these cars is just terrible. Extremely thin and brittle. I had to replace my windshield within a month of buying my car, and a year later I had to get a chip repaired. I've had countless tiny chips appear in the last two years from minor pebbles that I know my older vehicles would have just shrugged off. I've been forced to take backroads to work and avoid the highways during my work commute, and that sucks because it's a 50 mile round trip for me. Otherwise, I'm stuck buying a new windshield every year or two.

Seriously, it's my number one complaint against what is otherwise an excellent car. Number two is the absurdly thin and soft paint.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The problem with many of the now “modern” vehicle designs for front AND rear glass is that the manufacturers or designers are deleting any trim surrounding the windshield.

All it takes is a very small stone or hard debris to hit or nick to the outer edge of the front windshield and it will crack or spider web.

———
On my 2018, only the front and rear glass is Carlite - all of the side glass is now PGW.

———
Fact 1:
PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) was sold off by PPG, because PPG was getting out of the glass business. PGW is owned by LKQ Corp.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...rgh-glass-works-sale-is-an-end-of-an.amp.html

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...market-glass-world-with-635m-purchase-of-pgw/

———
Fact 2:
The S550 rear 1/4 windows, the rubber surround is not installed by Carlite - that is completed by another vendor. I know this as fact, as I had lengthy correspondence between me and a Carlite Rep regarding the driver side rear 1/4 window on my prior 2016.

The rubber surround on the original 2016 1/4 glass kept curling under and was totally distorted. When my Dealer had put in for a warranty replacement, Ford denied it first time. I then reached out directly to Carlite and sent pics and the Rep stated it should be replaced under warranty and it was defective. He proceeded to tell me that the rubber gasket or surround is not done by Carlite, the glass is sent out to another location for encapsulation and Carlite pays for that expense. Ford eventually replaced my 2016 1/4 under warranty after better pics were sent in and the rubber concern statement used was “distortion”.

———
Fact 3:
This was also passed along to me:
The Carlite “brand” is owned by Ford from when Ford used to be in the glass business. At some point, Ford divested itself of its internal suppliers and decided to get product from the outside market. Carlite was spun off to Visteon and eventually Visteon sold the glass business to a private company, who eventually sold to Central Glass in Japan. Central Glass retained rights to make and distribute glass with the Carlite brand and the Ford logo on it; today this company is now known as Carlex Glass America.

———
Fun Fact 4:
The 2015 50th Anniversary rear 1/4 windows were designed and manufactured by another vendor outside of the companies named above. This glass cannot be purchased through Ford unless the vehicle owner can produce ownership documents to a genuine 2015 50th LE S550. The only other source to this glass is if someone gets it from a salvaged 50th LE.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
DO NOT use Safelite, Absolute trash workmanship.

They scrapped the paint all around the windshield on my 16 and used black paint to cover it. The windshield sealant was applied horribly and poked from behind the windshield. This wasn't one occurrence, I experienced this three times.
IMG_0796.JPG

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I think I've broken every windshield in every car I've owned. Always went aftermarket. S550 hasn't cracked yet but it will eventually. There has to be a decent company that makes windshields for our cars out there other than Safelite?
Sponsored