I hope not - Autoweek: next generation is last ICE Mustang

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
This is like saying the sky is blue at this point.

Hope all you'd like, but ICE is being regulated out the world over to push the move to EV, or whatever alternative fuels we put out in a decade's time. We've known for a long time now that the S650 Mustang would be the last standing purely ICE pony car, and the coming generation (at the very least, its first few years) will be exactly that: the last standing purely ICE pony car.

Spare the doomsaying, and go drive your car.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I bet the ICE Mustang outlast Autoweek. AW is not what it used to be. I dropped it few yrs ago. And I just dropped R&T.

Car And Driver is the only one worthy IMO.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I know I am in the minority here, but I really think EVs are going to win out not because of regulations, but because they will simply be better - quieter, smoother, faster, simpler, more reliable, more efficient efficient, and (eventually) lower total cost of ownership. I know battery and charger tech is not quite there yet, but it is getting better every day.

I am not saying this because I believe in some zero emission fantasy (because I don't believe they will end up being all that much "greener"). I just believe that the tech will end up being better and for the average Joe, an EV car will just end up being a better choice. I do believe that it will take longer to get there than some think, but that is where we are heading.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I may be missing something here but I didnā€™t think this was any news at this point?

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I know I am in the minority here, but I really think EVs are going to win out not because of regulations, but because they will simply be better - quieter, smoother, faster, simpler, more reliable, more efficient efficient, and (eventually) lower total cost of ownership. I know battery and charger tech is not quite there yet, but it is getting better every day.

I am not saying this because I believe in some zero emission fantasy (because I don't believe they will end up being all that much "greener"). I just believe that the tech will end up being better and for the average Joe, an EV car will just end up being a better choice. I do believe that it will take longer to get there than some think, but that is where we are heading.
Likewise. Pressing regs are speeding the process along, but if you look at EV tech and infrastructure ten years ago against today, it's a massive difference that's only getting bigger. Cleaner in the long term, (NOT zero emission) lower maintenance requirements, ultimately in a world where most vehicles see the same couple hundred miles of range and can be refilled overnight. Like it or not, that die is cast.

Putting regulations aside, I would posit that any notion of ICE having staying power in the mass market (reiterating, to the average joe, who just want something to carry them from point A to point B, not the people of thisā€”or really, any other enthusiast car forum.) against marching tech in EVs is just, unrealistic. Pasting a myopic view of what EV tech looks like right now over ten years into the future is equally unrealistic. You can look at anything even tech-adjacent in the past decade and see how far it's come. If EVs are even half as "device" rather than "car" as folks parrot them to be, then why are they any exception?

Grumble grumble, radda raddaā€”just drive your cars and smile, people. :crackup:

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Likewise. Pressing regs are speeding the process along, but if you look at EV tech and infrastructure ten years ago against today, it's a massive difference that's only getting bigger. Cleaner in the long term, (NOT zero emission) lower maintenance requirements, ultimately in a world where most vehicles see the same couple hundred miles of range and can be refilled overnight. Like it or not, that die is cast.
Agreed. I think the only ICE that has any really long longevity (10+ years) is diesel. Ships, Trucks, Trains, Heavy Equipment, etc. have some staying power. As for performance cars that are daily drivers (honestly how many Mustangs are driven 300miles a day) the gas ICE days are numbered. It's sad and it's going to be painful (our infrastructure just cannot handle it), but it is a reality.

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Agreed. I think the only ICE that has any really long longevity (10+ years) is diesel. Ships, Trucks, Trains, Heavy Equipment, etc. have some staying power. As for performance cars that are daily drivers (honestly how many Mustangs are driven 300miles a day) the gas ICE days are numbered. It's sad and it's going to be painful (our infrastructure just cannot handle it), but it is a reality.
And nearly all diesel trains are actaully "hybrids" where the diesel engine drives a generator which powers electric motors which drive the wheels. An ICE engine just can't produce the low end torque of an electric motor and nothing needs low end torque more than a mile long freight train.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Oh, commercially ICE is staying firmly put for a good long while. There's some electrification testing going on in the U.K. with trucks carrying an overhead assembly to freely run off electric power on certain vital highways, but that's all of one (1) example I can think of for commercial electrification, sans maybe the occasional good will delivery vehicle put on the streets by one of the big shipping companies.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

EVs will 100% win. Most people could careless what is under there hood. Once cheaper EVs come to market (might take years) people will be all over them.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
And nearly all diesel trains are actaully "hybrids" where the diesel engine drives a generator which powers electric motors which drive the wheels. An ICE engine just can't produce the low end torque of an electric motor and nothing needs low end torque more than a mile long freight train.
Semi-off-topic, some "diesel" locomotives are running on liquid natural gas. Florida East Coast has a setup of two locomotives with a huge cryo-bottle of LNG in between, hope it never has an accident! EV locomotives are also being tested as are hybrid and EV construction equipment.

Mandatory Mustang content: most of our cars leave Flat Rock on a train. ;)

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
EVs will 100% win. Most people could careless what is under there hood. Once cheaper EVs come to market (might take years) people will be all over them.
Less time than that I imagine.

Forgive me for bringing up the bowtie on a Ford forum, but it's the first that comes to mindā€”the Bolt is near the same price as even a Camry or Altima at sticker price, and I believe comes with rebates atop that. At 260 miles a charge, it's more than enough for your average suburb and city farer.

It had an awful and confusing launch in the wake of the prior Volt and its controversiesā€”were it not for that, I imagine they might be around more. Point being though, cheaper EVs are out there, but we are still in (and will be for a while) that transitory phase between ICE and EV dominance. If your average joe's 5 year old ICE car isn't broken down, and isn't breaking the bank on refills, why replace it with a new EV? Methinks the limiting factor in adoption is going to be resliency of prior ICE vehicles than proficiency of new EVs.
Sponsored