Sponsored

I have been having a weird problem with my gt350.

ProblemChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby gt350
Not really sure where to post this... Hopefully this is the right place.

So my car gets up to coolant temperature then it will start to cool down until the coolant gauge read a quarter below where it should be. So I took it to my dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Oil temperature is fine. Right where it should be for this time of around 140-160F depending on how warm it is outside(For this time of year.). If I Thrash it coolant temperature will go back up same if it idles at a light or something. It mainly happened on the highway in 6th gear and if I dropped it to 5th gear it would heat back up. At least that's how it was at first. Its a lot worse now. No matter what I do the needle in the coolant gauge hovers right above the bottom of the gauge it may move a bit but not a lot.

Basically I have no clue what it could be? Any clues?
Sponsored

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Not really sure where to post this... Hopefully this is the right place.

So my car gets up to coolant temperature then it will start to cool down until the coolant gauge read a quarter below where it should be. So I took it to my dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Oil temperature is fine. Right where it should be for this time of around 140-160F depending on how warm it is outside(For this time of year.). If I Thrash it coolant temperature will go back up same if it idles at a light or something. It mainly happened on the highway in 6th gear and if I dropped it to 5th gear it would heat back up. At least that's how it was at first. Its a lot worse now. No matter what I do the needle in the coolant gauge hovers right above the bottom of the gauge it may move a bit but not a lot.

Basically I have no clue what it could be? Any clues?
Temperature gauge going bad, or dead short somewhere in the electrical connection? It seems intermittent via your description. Sticking thermostat? Just spit balling for you.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
I had a 2016 with a sticking thermostat that would not hold temp. If you take it out, the design has a cage that would get stuck with the "plunger".
I would start with a new thermostat. Pretty easy change out. Just do it cold and catch the coolant that comes out in a clean container so you can reuse it.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I had a 2016 with a sticking thermostat that would not hold temp. If you take it out, the design has a cage that would get stuck with the "plunger".
I would start with a new thermostat. Pretty easy change out. Just do it cold and catch the coolant that comes out in a clean container so you can reuse it.
Agreed. The thermostat would be my first, and easiest, replacement to address the problem.

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, Tesla Mdl X, 911 GT3, V90, 911S, Z4
I had the same thing on my 2016. Indicated temp dropped 40 degrees. The dealer wasn't sure if it was real or an electrical gremlin, so they replaced the thermostat and the temp sender for the gauge cluster. I would also start with the thermostat.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ProblemChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby gt350
Thanks for the advice. The thing that scares me is there is only 10k miles on the thermostat. And from what I have heard they shouldn't go that fast? So if it something more major causing the issue i would prefer not to open it up myself. Mainly because I think my car is still under warranty. And I am not sure if doing so would void it?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wouldn't worry about it. Stuff goes bad. I already have a failing shock. 6k miles.

Since it's under warranty, just make them fix it.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
Design sucks.

Once you pull it out and look at it you will see how easy a little mis-alignment can hang it open.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
OP
What year is your car?
You ā€œthinkā€ itā€™s still under warranty?? Best find out.

Also just an observationā€¦.You can only get to 140-160F oil temps during this time of year? I wouldnā€™t be thrashing it then. Your oil temp needs to be 190+ before giving it the beans.

OP
OP

ProblemChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby gt350
OP
What year is your car?
You ā€œthinkā€ itā€™s still under warranty?? Best find out.

Also just an observationā€¦.You can only get to 140-160F oil temps during this time of year? I wouldnā€™t be thrashing it then. Your oil temp needs to be 190+ before giving it the beans.
Yeah I normally wait until its over 190F however it wouldn't warm up and I was trying to get over to storage for the winter. Mines a 2017 however I had a spun main crank barring so they gave me a new warranty with the new engine. The reason I named my account ProblemChild is because of how many things have happened with my car.
Sponsored