Sponsored

I have a question about my exhaust. Thanks!

oloap24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
wapz
Vehicle(s)
2017 ford mustang GT
Hi! I bought my car with a flowmaster american thunder catback. But now i want to switch to corsa extreme catback. Do i need to cut my current catback for the corsa to fit? Is there any way i can get away without cutting it? i dont know what it is called. Thanks for the help!
edited.jpg
1690a_1.jpg
Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No. Just loosen those clamps and pull the old system out. Just make sure you order the correct catback for your car so the pipes line up correcly to just clamp on. If they dont make one then yea you'll have to cut/modify where the x pipe goes.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Glad you're getting rid of that system. Looks like a hackleberry job.

OP
OP
oloap24

oloap24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
wapz
Vehicle(s)
2017 ford mustang GT
Shouldn't need to cut anything unless the current system was welded in. All the aftermarket catbacks are designed to fit to the factory clamps.
upload_2020-7-1_10-38-16.png

The one above is the flowmaster that is currently installed in my car. And the one below is the corsa exhaust that i bought. I think when the installed the flowmasters they cut a little bit longer than other aftermarket catbacks. So im kinda confused. Thanks!

upload_2020-7-1_10-34-5.png
upload_2020-7-1_10-35-11.png

OP
OP
oloap24

oloap24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
wapz
Vehicle(s)
2017 ford mustang GT
Glad you're getting rid of that system. Looks like a hackleberry job.
yeah its my first upgrade other than the CAI. but i dont know much about stanglife yet. Just learning. Thank you so much sir!

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
You will have to do some cutting... the factory lead pipes coming off the manifolds have been cut off to accommodate the current system you have now. Typically a stock exhaust system has a flex pipe in the passenger side lead pipe and has band clamps at the junction between the lead pipes and the catback exhaust.

So you will certainly have to measure and cut off the current system so that it can properly mate with the corsa... if your existing system is 3" then it may be fairly easy since it could potentially mate directly with the corsa. If it is a different diameter, then you may need additional adapters to get it all to fit.

Here is a snapshot of what the factory system is supposed to look like... you can see where the system was cut (red line) and where the system should have band clamps at the lead pipe <> catback junction (red circle)

upload_2020-7-1_10-0-42.png

OP
OP
oloap24

oloap24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
wapz
Vehicle(s)
2017 ford mustang GT
You will have to do some cutting... the factory lead pipes coming off the manifolds have been cut off to accommodate the current system you have now. Typically a stock exhaust system has a flex pipe in the passenger side lead pipe and has band clamps at the junction between the lead pipes and the catback exhaust.

So you will certainly have to measure and cut off the current system so that it can properly mate with the corsa... if your existing system is 3" then it may be fairly easy since it could potentially mate directly with the corsa. If it is a different diameter, then you may need additional adapters to get it all to fit.

Here is a snapshot of what the factory system is supposed to look like... you can see where the system was cut (red line) and where the system should have band clamps at the lead pipe <> catback junction (red circle)

upload_2020-7-1_10-0-42.png
Thank you much sir! Yeah it is 3" also. I guess there's no way i can save my current catback. I'll prolly have to cut it back. Huge thanks for the picture sir!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Typically a stock exhaust system has a flex pipe in the passenger side
A related question here. I noticed my Mustang only has a flex pipe on one side. First time I ever see that; on all my previous cars, there was one on each side, for obvious reasons. What is the rationale for only on one side? Just curious. Thx.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
A related question here. I noticed my Mustang only has a flex pipe on one side. First time I ever see that; on all my previous cars, there was one on each side, for obvious reasons. What is the rationale for only on one side? Just curious. Thx.
Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps having the flex pipe on one side was good enough on this platform to dampen vibrations / stress on the exhaust system.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm pretty sure my 2017 also has only one flex fitting. Came that way from the factory. Maybe that was to make installation easier? Or maybe it has two and I've forgotten!
Sponsored