Sponsored

I hate road trips.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Man I know some of yall love them but I hate hate hate them. Boring , people want to eat in your car, making good time then everyone wants to stop and pee every 5 miles. Just eh... Now i have to make a 9 hour drive to go see family IM like can we just fly. Nooo we are gonna drive. I dont want too. but this is how it will go down.

We will get up early. Then instead of driving we will have to make stops. get drinks and snacks (that I dont want in my car) Ill have to drive which I hate long distance driving and did I mention I don't want to go LOL. Then my passengers will all directly fall asleep big fun...BORING!!!! Then wake up and all want to stop at 35 places pee 400 times and of course get more snacks. so this 9 hour drive will turn into a 13 hour drive and then guess what.... you get to repeat it all on the way home.

A day at the track or some back roads cruise sure fun. but 9 plus mindless hours staring at the road with cruise on.... just shoot me.
Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
There is no other vehicle to use for those long trips??

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I love road trips... by myself or one other person tops. My ex totally tolerated my road trip BS so she was usually the only person I liked having with me. I would intentionally take the side roads for miles on end just to see other things besides interstate. She genuinely enjoyed it too, and would always say it made the day go by so much faster than the monotonous mile after mile interstate drag. But yeah, road tripping with a car full of people can be a bummer.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
You need a better traveling companion. My wife is great to drive with. We make an itinerary together, and stick to it. No food or drink is consumed in the car. Stops are planned out in advance. We basically coordinate our needs with the car's needs.
LOL I wouldn't care if it was the hottest woman on earth and we had an intellectual ball, I hate long distance driving.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
you need the right buddies, and more beer.

Sponsored

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Man I know some of yall love them but I hate hate hate them. Boring
You’re a funny man! I get some of your points.

I think road trips are the best way to see the US of A! Take some time to stop at offbeat attractions, drive the Lincoln Highway, strike up some conversations at gas stations, visit small town war memorials, eat at a greasy spoon now and then.

Now you got me ready to ride!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Depends entirely on where you're going. A lot of the US is boring. Not because there's nothing to see, but because it's buried among the same sight for hundreds of miles in each direction. You have to be very selective with your route, if you bore easily. I personally love driving for the sake of it, and clicking off the miles. Mostly because I enjoy the freedom that it provides me, and the unique experience that 99% of humans have not been able to enjoy. Road trips have been a thing for only a hundred years or so, and in the early days you had to be extremely creative because the roads either weren't there or were crap. We're spoiled in this century and don't even realize it. You can do basically anywhere you want without much hassle, there's gas within 50 miles of you at all times in most of the country (an absolutely mind blowing logistical feat), you have cell service almost everywhere so you can stream your favorite music and podcasts, etc. And the crown jewel is GPS and the internet on the go, which means you can find anything with relative ease, compared to the days of having to stock up on a fat stack of unintelligible maps that you'd struggle to read under a dim incandescent map light on the side of a dark highway (where you're only 1 mile from your hotel but don't realize it).

Maybe I'm just easy to please.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I love driving, especially the Mustang, especially by myself, especially with satellite radio. That said, I made many 12 hour trips with children under 10. The secret is to drive over night so that they will sleep through most of it.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I've outfitted my van for road trips. Cots in the back, 5 seats in front, cooler & bag of snacks, and a porta potty goes in the back corner (on the foam rubber mat) with a curtain for the ladies pee breaks. If an over night is required, we can sleep in the van. My 4'7" mother in law gets the bench seat as her bed. Having the curtain in the middle makes it seem like a separate room. BTW, I paid $2,500 for this van 2 years ago with 76,000 original miles. Great daily driver and hauling vehicle too. I have blizzaks for the winter.
117960262_10157065199126580_4159064100522579479_n.jpg
118467639_10157088965136580_7507390817998050546_n.jpg
118524860_10157088965386580_8048156983172801323_n.jpg
118775375_10157095776566580_3841270124452827332_o.jpg

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Some just don't like driving like others. I'm in the crowd of driving for days without any destination in mind just to drive. The mustang is perfect for this.

Snacks in the car is totally on you. No food allowed in my car ever, if hungry, eat outside. Repeatedly stopping to pee is less avoidable but you should really stop at a place that interests you. Stop so they can pee and stay till you're done looking at what you're looking at. Peeing will naturally happen less because now they are the ones bored. You're driving someplace you don't want to go so why hurry? Pretty much all I got lol.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If you ever plan to motor west, Travel my way, take the highway, that's the best. Get your kicks on Route 66. It winds from Chicago to L.
A. More than 2000 miles all the way, Get your kicks on Route 66. Now you go through Saint Louie, Joplin, Missouri, And Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty, you'll see... Amarillo... Gallup, New Mexico, Flagstaff, Arizona, Don't forget Winona, Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino. Won't you get hip to this timely tip When you make that California trip? Get your kicks on Route 66. Won't you get hip to this timely tip When you make that California trip? Get your kicks on Route 66... Get your kicks on Route 66... Get your kicks on Route 66!

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So I survived. was BORINGGGG But the Mustang is a great long distance car, really lives up to the grand touring. GT. Comfy the whole way. And I got 29 MPG the whole time and IM tuned LOL. Nothing but highway driving on level roads and at a steady 72 the whole time. Did get to see one good thing. I saw two car haulers full of c8 corvettes , 24 of them. That was sorta neat. OH and i got ot go to my first wawas. went several times. :)

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Road trips are all in what you make them out to be. You can either focus on the occasional negatives and make yourself miserable (and let that attitude embed itself as a general association to the thought of road trips in general) or you can find things to actively enjoy about doing the driving.

Personally, I think one of the worst things you can do in terms of the actual driving on a road trip is to put your car on 'cruise' and mentally distance yourself that much further away from the business of driving.

We've been doing the 'road trip' thing for just over 50 years at this point, in large part because my jobs were never based local to where the rest of our families lived. Since nearly all of our trips involved driving in the Northeast, the 7-ish to 12-ish hour travel days are a better indication than the number of miles. Now that we're both retired, we're no longer on much of a schedule, so time pressure is rarely a factor any more.

Norm

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Everyone can pee when we stop for gas, everyone can get a snack when we stop for gas, every one can look out the window and not bitch until we stop for gas, then they can bitch to themselves in the restroom. We stop for gas between 1/2 and 1/4 a tank.

Breakfast, lunch or dinner occur..........................................when we stop for gas.

Want to make it nicer? Buy a car with two seats, one for you and one for someone quiet or interesting.

I love road trips.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Exaxtly. I basically become an 18th century sea captain when I'm driving. Anyone in the car is lucky if I consider them a passenger and not just cargo. If the goods are spoiled, I'll toss them overboard :crackup:
Agree! I mostly road trip solo and love it. Or a buddy but he's usually in his own car.
Sponsored