Sponsored

I hate my Manual trans Mustang

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I hate having a manual transmission Mustang. I love driving my car and rowing the gears, but I broke my left foot and can't drive it. I've tried using my right foot to work the clutch and go, but thats so clunky, then to change gears. I haven't been able to drive it for about the last 3 weeks, and its looking like 3+ more weeks. I am now either driving a 1999 F350 with the 7.3 or the wife's 2016 Jetta GLI with DSG. I need to develope a hand operated clutch. I got the time.
2016 GT.jpg
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Sorry to hear that. That is one thing I'm afraid of, breaking my foot/leg and not being able to drive!

Hope you heal up and get back behind the wheel soon.

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, MT-82, Ruby Red
But it will heal right and you'll be able to drive soon?

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I started my driving career broken. When I was 15, in 1987, I was hit by a car while riding a bicycle. Broke both bone in my lower left leg. Out for 13 months. I have pretty much always driving a manual trans. I am a truck driver by trade, but my work truck (2016 Freightliner Cascadia) is an automatic and my daily is a manual. Go figure
image.png
Screenshot_20200327-182508_Google.jpg

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Your title is so clickbait. Just relax and heal up. I broke my left ankle/leg and tore ligaments in November last year. I understand the struggle but you will be driving it again soon. Took me two months before I was able to drive a manual car again and it wasn't comfortable either.
20191203_082417.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least you got to have pins. My break was to close to the ankle to pin, so I had an external frame camping 6 vertical screws that held my leg together. Then after almost 6 months, they realized it stopped healing and I had to have a bone graft. That was September 10, 1987. The picture of my leg? That was September 2, 2019. The lower half has fused together. As for the foot, yeah, I know it will get better, but with beautiful weather, lots of time off work and a pandemic, I want to just get out and drive, but can't.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder last spring. It sucked for several months. I did go around the block a few times shifting left handed. Donā€™t tell the wife.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
WOW, none of my X-Rays came back in red to show me, yes, you dropped a car on your foot.

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was pulsating as they took the xray.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really liked the one where I dropped a C4 on my chest and benched pressed that bitch in the car four times, fuckin' fox.

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - I had a meniscus tear last year and shifting the manual trannys in my GTO and Bullitt became quite painful. So, in early September I had an arthroscopy repair done but lost 6 weeks of driving while rehabbing the knee. I had about a month of driving before storing the cars for the winter and the pain while shifting was minimal. Unfortunately over the winter it has slowly gotten worse and this spring Iā€™m back to the same pain I had before the arthroscopy. The most recent x-Ray shows Iā€™m very very close to bone on bone. With this Covid-19 shut-down, elective surgeries such as knee replacements will likely be so backed up and I would be facing another summer of painful shifting. I noticed when walking down stairs if I lead with the left leg and keep the knee as straight as possible, the pain is minimal. A light bulb went off in this dusty attic of a brain I now have at age 78 and I decided to try an experiment. I moved the driving seat position back until my leg was completely extended when the clutch is fully engaged. Wallah - minimal discomfort. It feels awkward to drive the car with the seat so far back but itā€™s a price worth paying to be able drive again while experiencing minimal pain when shifting. I reset the memory feature for the seat so itā€™s always in the ideal position after I start the car. If things work out like I hope, Iā€™ll have the knee replaced over this coming winter and be ready in time for the next driving season... Bruce

P.S. Old age ainā€™t for sissies!
P.P.S. I very much prefer a manual tranny on my fun cars.

Last edited:

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
AH FUCK! buy a T-56 and STFU.

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driving a manual with my leg isnt a problem. Driving a manual with the foot is. Got to wear a bis ass ski boot looking brace, cant work the clutch.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Driving a manual with my leg isnt a problem. Driving a manual with the foot is. Got to wear a bis ass ski boot looking brace, cant work the clutch.

Give it about 12 wks you'll be good, and stop braking your foot

Cheers
pep

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
1st world problems. Just sit down heal up and get back out there.
Sponsored