2018 Challenger Scat Pack
good job OP, protect your lane.
Sponsored

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
$hit like this really pisses me off. Especially when its bumper to bumper traffic and the car behind you pulls out and jets up in front of you....for what? like they are going somewhere gaining 1 spot further up....I always proceed to give them a thumbs up and mouth "good job...now go..go....lets see you go!!! Where the FU$& you gonna go??!!" sarcastically of course.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Zipper technique. TOO many people do NOT know that the Zipper technique is how merges should be handled.

That said, if there's not a large number of cars, and if the two cars in the two lanes are doing about the same speed, the one in the lane that is ending should yield to the one in the primary lane.

Now, I will admit that, if someone violates the merge rule, but they're going faster than I am, then I don't mind at all. They're not slowing me down.

One of the most BAFFLING cases I'd seen was years ago. I had a 1972 Olds 98 (paid $500 for it, back in the late 90s) and was driving to work. This thing had a peeling vinyl roof, and the right fender and header panel were replaced by the previous owner, and were primer gray. The rest was brown.

I'm on a road, two lanes in my direction. Light turns green. I'm in the left lane, and there's a late-model Honda Accord next to me in the right lane. He accelerates, I accelerate.

Now, I'm accelerating as I normally would, and he keeps up with me. He does NOT fall behind, he does NOT pull ahead, but just stays next to me.

The lane ends, but there's still room on the pavement. He keeps going the same way, and inches closer to me. Again, not speeding ahead, not falling behind. I don't think he even looked in my direction.

If this results in an accident, he's going to have more damage than I would - and whatever damage I have wouldn't matter (remember, $500 car). But he just kept going.

I eventually backed off - more out of being stunned than anything else. I drove the rest of the way to work wondering "Can someone THAT stupid actually manage to spell their own name, much less pass a driver's test?"

But had I not slowed down out of sheer confusion, would this guy have insisted on merging into my right fender?

If he was in a hurry, why didn't he speed up? If he wasn't in a hurry, why didn't he ease off?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
To be completely honest I do this all the time...because most of the time I'm driving faster than most as well as a lot of drivers like to drive under the speed limit here. Aside from that I hate the drivers here so I like to put them behind me.

OP, imo you were the dick. If I were I your position I would have just given it 100% throttle that way I'd stay in front and he could get over easily and safely

Edit....unless I was in my truck lol then i'd probably just let him go haha poor ranger :(

Last edited:

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hit like this really pisses me off. Especially when its bumper to bumper traffic and the car behind you pulls out and jets up in front of you....for what? like they are going somewhere gaining 1 spot further up....I always proceed to give them a thumbs up and mouth "good job...now go..go....lets see you go!!! Where the FU$& you gonna go??!!" sarcastically of course.
You would be surprised how much time one car can add to your commute. It only takes one to get you stuck at every light vs making them all. One car can easily be the difference of making it on time or 5 to 10 minutes later. Also only takes one car to be a rolling road block

Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Here in Minnesota, that is called 'zipper merging' and it's a new law. They want the 'merging' lane traffic to proceed right up to the final merging section and the straight- through lane traffic HAS to allow the merging traffic room to zipper into the their lane. In the past, people would try to merge over quite a distance before the mandatory merging and it caused more congestion. MNDOT found that zippering cut down congestion considerably. So in Minnesota, you will get a ticket if you block zippering traffic.
problem is that people are stupid

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
OP, you've put the DB in his place. It's not different than cutting line in a store, it's not gonna fly with 99%. It is the duty of the person merging to find his way in.... OP already had his lane occupied (at a heavy foot, so be it)
I deal with these type of drivers every day, 125 miles worth! There are things that apply to driving like etiquette, logic and defensive driving... This is not taught in driving school, this is taught by ppl like the OP!!!

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, you've put the DB in his place. It's not different than cutting line in a store, it's not gonna fly with 99%. It is the duty of the person merging to find his way in.... OP already had his lane occupied (at a heavy foot, so be it)
I deal with these type of drivers every day, 125 miles worth! There are things that apply to driving like etiquette, logic and defensive driving... This is not taught in driving school, this is taught by ppl like the OP!!!
yea because he so showed him...people who intentionally block others in those situations cause accidents...it's one thing to block someone trying to cut in front when trying to get in a right turn lane or something because traffic isn't moving...but doing it when all traffic is accelerating is dangerous.

5.0Fireman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff
So today I am doing this training at work.....LOL

Driving in Traffic (Continued)

Be aware of your stress level on the road. Road rage can
affect anyone, even you.​
Road Rage

One of the unfortunate realities of driving in traffic is road rage. The buildup of stress, the frustration with traffic conditions, the impatience of waiting—all of these can play a role in raising blood to a boil. When this happens behind the wheel, drivers may make foolish decisions that can compromise their own and the safety of others.
To avoid road rage problems:

• Avoid driving in heavy traffic. Take public transportation, choose alternative routes, or leave before or after the rush hour commute.
  • Control yourself. Be aware of your own stress level. Road rage doesn't just affect 'others'; it can affect you. If tension is building, take steps to soothe the stress by listening to music or taking a break from driving.
  • Practice driving etiquette. Using turn signals, yielding to other drivers, and forgiving other drivers' mistakes are all part of keeping road rage from becoming a problem.
  • Avoid confrontation. If you suspect road rage in other drivers on the road, do not provoke or even pay attention to their attempts to pick a fight.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The proper place to merge is at the end, when the lane finally disappears. If you merge early, you disrupt the flow because the cars behind you will pass and fill up the gap. Then, when they merge, you end up with three or four cars from the merging lane for every one car in the straight lane. Just merge at the end of the lane, alternating cars, and everything goes smoothly.

If you do come across a situation that you find annoying, try to ignore it and give way to the other car. Trying to be a "regulator" just makes everyone angry.

-T

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
If you do come across a situation that you find annoying, try to ignore it and give way to the other car. Trying to be a "regulator" just makes everyone angry.

-T
Sorry, but your wrong. You just make everyone made at you now for letting him in! Oh wait, maybe your being sarcastic... Can't tell

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
yep, i hate it when someone gets in the left lane and just casually lets everyone on the right keep passing/merging past them.
Sponsored