I guess the speed limiter wasnt working that day

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
I think this was my first run out. I haven't gone through and prepared any more videos because I'm swamped.

Please DONT like and subscribe. I hate youtubers and this is for pure entertainment value because this forum has been so boring lately.

Maybe ill get off my ass and put together something more interesting some other time.

185mph very impressive. A lot of traffic, could you post best lap time? I know it says 2:01.01 but was that it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I love the sound of that engine.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I no reason to doubt your guess. You are likely one of the few outside of the Ford team or FP guys that has run the car to its limited speed in a fairly regular basis if I had to guess.
210 would be something.
I believe that to be about it if given enough real estate. Once the dct goes into 7th, it begins to pull again significantly. The only problem I have is that its time to get on the brakes, or you slightly overrun the turn (which was once depicted in the video).

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT350, GT350R HEP, GT500 HE CFTP, 23 Raptor R
This whole thread is awesome. That’s all I’ve got…

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I think this was my first run out. I haven't gone through and prepared any more videos because I'm swamped.

Please DONT like and subscribe. I hate youtubers and this is for pure entertainment value because this forum has been so boring lately.

Maybe ill get off my ass and put together something more interesting some other time.

I finally had time to watch the video start to finish. God damn that looks fun.
Driving at that level requires a lot of focus and skill not to mention confidence in other driver's that they are going to act consistent and correctly when passing and being passed.

Thank for sharing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I finally had time to watch the video start to finish. God damn that looks fun.
Driving at that level requires a lot of focus and skill not to mention confidence in other driver's that they are going to act consistent and correctly when passing and being passed.

Thank for sharing.
It's the professional racers group, group 1. The likes of Dean Martin, Billy Johnson, etc. I in no way say I have their skillset, but I agree, it is nice driving on a road course with people who know what they are doing. The only thing that sucks about that group is that the Miata drivers who are pro racers are driving in the same group. They are slow and they are difficult to drive around. For example, I commonly experience them working in swarms to prevent passing. Swarms, lol, they sound like mosquitos when you pass them.

Group 1 is fast and can be competitive. I had family in this year and a special guest from the UK. When I was giving rides, I opted to drive in group 2 (instructors). Yes, the extra 200 pounds makes a difference in vehicle performance. So, It was back to the point by's and not being to be able to just drive the car like you do otherwise. On one occasion, I went out in group 3 due to schedule constraints. More of the same. When I was free of the dead weight, it was back to group 1, lots of fun.

I vowed that next time I am doing this event, I won't be giving many rides. I like being on the track with folks who know what they are doing. A case in point..... Everyone who drives Daytona knows that the oval course sometimes knocks the traction control and stability out. Well, that happened to me on one outing last weekend. I pushed it like you saw and for some reason, the rear end let go coming out of the bus stop. That has never happened to me and I have always continued to just drive the car like I always do when the nannies go out to lunch. Besides, the nannies shouldn't intervene unless you screw something up or something causes it to occur. I went over the video a bunch of times and the best I can determine that it was sand or debris or the left rear wheel was simply upset by the enhanced rumble strips that they installed. I recovered the vehicle (and that was quite a feat), but my point is that I had experienced drivers behind me, and I didn't get rear ended or T boned. I can't say that would be the same outcome if I was running in group 2 or 3. By the way, those rumble strips have been causing issues with peoples tires. I had a partial tire delamination on my right front wheel. Another 500 driver wound up with a flat. Last year, I suffered tire damage by those rumble strips which forced me to switch to another set of wheels/tires.

Anyhow, the track is a blast. People need to put it on their bucket list.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Pretty impressive, a track like Daytona seems to suit a car like the 500 nicely. Its safe to assume someone like Dean or Billy would eclipse the GT4 lap times. I understand this is an apples to oranges comparison to a restricted gt4 for sure but impressive for a street car imo.

I know they had their fair share of half shaft related failures with the GT4 and its got some pretty high tech (and expensive) cv boots now, I discovered these when my 500 arrived with a slit in it's cv boot directly from the factory 😐. Maybe someone will offer an upgrade for the 500 in the future that takes that out of the equation. I'd love to turn some laps at Daytona. Mid Ohio, Putnam and NCM (if I feel like dealing with boise restrictions) will have to due for now.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Pretty impressive, a track like Daytona seems to suit a car like the 500 nicely. Its safe to assume someone like Dean or Billy would eclipse the GT4 lap times. I understand this is an apples to oranges comparison to a restricted gt4 for sure but impressive for a street car imo.

I know they had their fair share of half shaft related failures with the GT4 and its got some pretty high tech (and expensive) cv boots now, I discovered these when my 500 arrived with a slit in it's cv boot directly from the factory 😐. Maybe someone will offer an upgrade for the 500 in the future that takes that out of the equation. I'd love to turn some laps at Daytona. Mid Ohio, Putnam and NCM (if I feel like dealing with boise restrictions) will have to due for now.
Yes, the car is impressive and the GT500 on the Rolex course makes it shine. As you can see from the video, the car doesn't maneuver as well in the corners on the inside course. Generally speaking, the miatas do very well here due primarily to their weight to horsepower ratio. They can turn those things like nobody's business. Same with a lot of the race prepped cars. Stripped down to nothing and significantly lighter than mine. I'm about 200 pounds and the car weighed in on the scales at 4200 pounds. That's with a Watson roll bar (special cromolly) and a lithium battery. Those two offset each other, so essentially, it's stock weight.

Nobody touches me on the outside course or on any straight portion of the inside course. But hey, it's about turning too. I hang with some of the no kidding race cars in the turns, but the outside course is mine.

The problem with the car, again, is weight. The car will turn, but not like a 3,000 pound car will. The GT500 is no competition to a GT4.

The other consideration is tires. The cup 2 tires are fine, but they are no slicks. They grab until they slide. What compounds the problem is tire pressures. You start at a pressure low enough to account for expansion, but your target hot pressure only lasts for a few laps until you exceed them and wind up in the 40 psi range, which slides all over the place on the infield.

I monitor my pressures as I am driving on my tpms display. What I am experiencing directly corresponds to what I see on my tpms readout.

For the first time in driving Daytona, I had a tire delaminate. When it happened, I knew exactly what it was, and in slow motion realized that it wasn't a complete failure followed by depressurization. This occurred right out of NASCAR turn 2 into the backstretch. I was at about 160 and accelerating. This failure occurred on the right front tire. I was surprised to see this because usually the culprit is the right rear. The right rear carries most of the burden around the oval course and that one is usually the one to go bye bye. Had the tire completely failed and "blew out", it would have been a hard pull to the right and into the wall it would have most likely gone due to the proximity.

I just had all 4 wheels off the car to do my periodic inspection. They were perfect. The temps after each session were within 10 degrees from inner to outer of the tire. Wear was perfect. I aligned the car myself and the temps and wear indicated that it was perfect. So what caused this to happen? Most likely the jacked up rumble strips in the bus stop. I spoke to the pirelli tire guys who were doing all the race car tire work at the track. We both came to the same conclusion, that it was probably damage incurred by those rumble strips and once a small defect is introduced, the tire will come apart under those loads and speeds.

I feel lucky that it wasn't worse. See photo.....

As for the half shafts you mentioned, Ford simply doesn't use the correct grease. The solution to the problem is higher temp grease that can withstand the heat generated. To correct the problem, you need to take the half shafts off, remove the boots from the inner cv's and break the joint apart and rebuild with suitable grease. I'm not going to name the grease used because the guy who did it may not want me to share it.

It's time to do another rebuild on my half shafts. Enough time has gone by that it is prudent despite the temperatures remaining constant since they were installed. I was advised by an absolute expert to rebuild with krytox this time due to superior adhesion and drop point. I was told that is what most major race teams use. The downside? Cost. And that is probably why Ford doesn't use a grease more suitable. I believe this is for a few reasons..... first, this problem is mostly attributed to the rigors of Daytona. This doesn't happen much anywhere else. It is ny understanding that this is for several reasons. The big 2 are joint geometry going around the ovals as well as longer duration of foot on the floor driving. The joints get hot, grease melts, joint disintegrates.

So here is the photo of my partial delamination out of turn 2 at 160 mph.

20221211_162259.jpg
20221211_162251.jpg
20221211_162248.jpg

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
Great incar video Tom.
Think I would be wetting myself if I was in the car.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Great incar video Tom.
Think I would be wetting myself if I was in the car.
You are invited next year. The second weekend in December. Bring a diaper.

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Is there a slick tire option you can run? I believe I've seen guys running Hoosiers? That delamination is scary, real scary.

At the time I was around the gt4 it was still in it's earlier days and I believe at the time they were running a g-force axle. I have heard the same about the grease. Ford actually wanted the dealership to replace the boot only, then sent a boot that wasn't anywhere near large enough to even slip over the shaft. So I ended up with a new driver's side half shaft.

Here are the times I was referencing. I'm sure uncorked the gt4 is quite a bit faster... in race trim your 2:00 min laps aren't that far off really.

Screenshot_20221219_181534_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Is there a slick tire option you can run? I believe I've seen guys running Hoosiers? That delamination is scary, real scary.

At the time I was around the gt4 it was still in it's earlier days and I believe at the time they were running a g-force axle. I have heard the same about the grease. Ford actually wanted the dealership to replace the boot only, then sent a boot that wasn't anywhere near large enough to even slip over the shaft. So I ended up with a new driver's side half shaft.

Here are the times I was referencing. I'm sure uncorked the gt4 is quite a bit faster... in race trim your 2:00 min laps aren't that far off really.

Screenshot_20221219_181534_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
It's no contest. Last year when Billy Johnson came up behind me out of Rolex turn 3, it was apparent. I got the hell out of his way. He was practicing for the Rolex 24 and I wasn't going to be the guy to play games. They do this for a living and I don't.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Very very very lucky, with that tire. You bring up many points and/or items that make me ask.

1. Anyone tracking 500 for fun have should talk to Pro Teams before driving. (or given a communication portal)

2. Track Attack is offered for free for a reason. Yes it's fun day. Liability! If you take the class, they taught you. If you don't, you declined it.

3. Tire failure due to rumble strips? Looks like alignment specifically for Daytona required.

4. The sneaky grease that the Teams use is super important, what if a half-shaft failed doing 184mph, bad day.

5. Back to the Tire, I'm positive the MFR have "unwritten" spec's for Daytona. Or recommendations to NOT use Cup2 and only their Race tire. (IMSA spec tire)

6. Back to item #1, What other parts are weak points and potential failure items. Rear suspension, front wheel hubs, etc? What's the replacement cycle. It's NOT wait until things fail, as speeds are way too high. Ford has Engineers at every IMSA race, can they help with this?

Fun times, until it's not. I'm just not a big fan of "street cars" running at these tracks with these speeds. Would rather see only Race Cars with Pro-support be allowed to rent the track and charge people to drive. (IMHO)

Why? because the normal weekend track warrior, just doesn't have the secret knowledge to safely run the cars. They may think they do but they don't.

But, it's better then people driving crazy on the public roads. (not you, in general)

So great video, thanks for sharing and no disrespect intended whatsoever, your video proves you're a seasoned driver that's aware of your surroundings and experienced and safe.

Enjoy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Very very very lucky, with that tire. You bring up many points and/or items that make me ask.

1. Anyone tracking 500 for fun have should talk to Pro Teams before driving. (or given a communication portal)

2. Track Attack is offered for free for a reason. Yes it's fun day. Liability! If you take the class, they taught you. If you don't, you declined it.

3. Tire failure due to rumble strips? Looks like alignment specifically for Daytona required.

4. The sneaky grease that the Teams use is super important, what if a half-shaft failed doing 184mph, bad day.

5. Back to the Tire, I'm positive the MFR have "unwritten" spec's for Daytona. Or recommendations to NOT use Cup2 and only their Race tire. (IMSA spec tire)

6. Back to item #1, What other parts are weak points and potential failure items. Rear suspension, front wheel hubs, etc? What's the replacement cycle. It's NOT wait until things fail, as speeds are way too high. Ford has Engineers at every IMSA race, can they help with this?

Fun times, until it's not. I'm just not a big fan of "street cars" running at these tracks with these speeds. Would rather see only Race Cars with Pro-support be allowed to rent the track and charge people to drive. (IMHO)

Why? because the normal weekend track warrior, just doesn't have the secret knowledge to safely run the cars. They may think they do but they don't.

But, it's better then people driving crazy on the public roads. (not you, in general)

So great video, thanks for sharing and no disrespect intended whatsoever, your video proves you're a seasoned driver that's aware of your surroundings and experienced and safe.

Enjoy
I've been driving Daytona for a long time. I'm not going to take the time to respond to each of your points above. All of which are flat out wrong. It makes me wonder what you know about the track despite the credentials you listed for yourself in your footer.

Thank God you don't have a say in any of this or anyone would not be able to participate in these track events.

Why not take the time and introduce yourself. Tell us all about your credentials and what makes you an expert pertainimg to the GT500 and the Daytona Speedway.

I couldn't help but laugh my ass off when I read your reply. Flat out hilarious. Why not elaborate on each point a little further. This I have to see.

Do me a favor, don't reply to this thread anymore. You have demonstrated you don't know what you are talking about and based upon your last unanswered post, your comments are not welcome.

Last edited:

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
I've been driving Daytona for a long time. I'm not going to take the time to respond to each of your points above. All of which are flat out wrong. It makes me wonder what you know about the track despite the credentials you listed for yourself in your footer.

Thank God you don't have a say in any of this or anyone would not be able to participate in these track events.

Why not take the time and introduce yourself. Tell us all about your credentials and what makes you an expert pertainimg to the GT500 and the Daytona Speedway.

I couldn't help but laugh my ass off when I read your reply. Flat out hilarious. Why not elaborate on each point a little further. This I have to see.

Do me a favor, don't reply to this thread anymore. You have demonstrated you don't know what you are talking about and based upon your last unanswered post, your comments are not welcome.

Wow, just wow.
Yes, the car is impressive and the GT500 on the Rolex course makes it shine. As you can see from the video, the car doesn't maneuver as well in the corners on the inside course. Generally speaking, the miatas do very well here due primarily to their weight to horsepower ratio. They can turn those things like nobody's business. Same with a lot of the race prepped cars. Stripped down to nothing and significantly lighter than mine. I'm about 200 pounds and the car weighed in on the scales at 4200 pounds. That's with a Watson roll bar (special cromolly) and a lithium battery. Those two offset each other, so essentially, it's stock weight.

Nobody touches me on the outside course or on any straight portion of the inside course. But hey, it's about turning too. I hang with some of the no kidding race cars in the turns, but the outside course is mine.

The problem with the car, again, is weight. The car will turn, but not like a 3,000 pound car will. The GT500 is no competition to a GT4.

The other consideration is tires. The cup 2 tires are fine, but they are no slicks. They grab until they slide. What compounds the problem is tire pressures. You start at a pressure low enough to account for expansion, but your target hot pressure only lasts for a few laps until you exceed them and wind up in the 40 psi range, which slides all over the place on the infield.

I monitor my pressures as I am driving on my tpms display. What I am experiencing directly corresponds to what I see on my tpms readout.

For the first time in driving Daytona, I had a tire delaminate. When it happened, I knew exactly what it was, and in slow motion realized that it wasn't a complete failure followed by depressurization. This occurred right out of NASCAR turn 2 into the backstretch. I was at about 160 and accelerating. This failure occurred on the right front tire. I was surprised to see this because usually the culprit is the right rear. The right rear carries most of the burden around the oval course and that one is usually the one to go bye bye. Had the tire completely failed and "blew out", it would have been a hard pull to the right and into the wall it would have most likely gone due to the proximity.

I just had all 4 wheels off the car to do my periodic inspection. They were perfect. The temps after each session were within 10 degrees from inner to outer of the tire. Wear was perfect. I aligned the car myself and the temps and wear indicated that it was perfect. So what caused this to happen? Most likely the jacked up rumble strips in the bus stop. I spoke to the pirelli tire guys who were doing all the race car tire work at the track. We both came to the same conclusion, that it was probably damage incurred by those rumble strips and once a small defect is introduced, the tire will come apart under those loads and speeds.

I feel lucky that it wasn't worse. See photo.....

As for the half shafts you mentioned, Ford simply doesn't use the correct grease. The solution to the problem is higher temp grease that can withstand the heat generated. To correct the problem, you need to take the half shafts off, remove the boots from the inner cv's and break the joint apart and rebuild with suitable grease. I'm not going to name the grease used because the guy who did it may not want me to share it.

It's time to do another rebuild on my half shafts. Enough time has gone by that it is prudent despite the temperatures remaining constant since they were installed. I was advised by an absolute expert to rebuild with krytox this time due to superior adhesion and drop point. I was told that is what most major race teams use. The downside? Cost. And that is probably why Ford doesn't use a grease more suitable. I believe this is for a few reasons..... first, this problem is mostly attributed to the rigors of Daytona. This doesn't happen much anywhere else. It is ny understanding that this is for several reasons. The big 2 are joint geometry going around the ovals as well as longer duration of foot on the floor driving. The joints get hot, grease melts, joint disintegrates.

So here is the photo of my partial delamination out of turn 2 at 160 mph.

20221211_162259.jpg
20221211_162251.jpg
20221211_162248.jpg
Do yourself a favor and send these photos to the IMSA Michelin Engineers and post their response. That will help everybody. Please keep your personal attacks to yourself as you just might get embarrassed.
Sponsored