Sponsored

I don't think I can own an FF ever again

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I'm on the younger side, but I have only driven FWD cars for ten years. I have owned the S550 for over half a year and the layout is just better. I have so much more fun with it. I thought I would miss my Civic Si a lot more since it was my first track car, but aside from the exhaust note, I do not think I can say I miss it that much. The Civic Si is still fun, especially for a first car. But the oversteer and power deliver just makes it so much enjoyable on the track or getting on the freeway.

Does anyone share the same thoughts and just cannot go back to FWD? I know for sure I never want an automatic ever again. Driving stick for 6 years has just been too much fun.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have another all wheel drive car but I have rented some higher horsepower FWD cars and they suck. The tramlining is terrible Underpower. Reverse donuts are also the opposite of cool.

And you wouldn’t own another automatic until you have driven the A10. I had all intention to buy another 6 speed when I bought my car but the A10 was just awesome. Wife also played a part in the decision. No regrets.
What makes the A10 more fun?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is always where you want it Rpm wise. The paddle shifter makes hard driving fun also, but the computer does an excellent job downshifting to keep it in the meat of the torque curve. The downshifts oIt of top gear are also very fast considering it’s still a slush box.

And it’s just fast as hell.

I do miss the car control of a stick but I have built confidence in the A10 delivering power the way I want it too.
Sounds like Ford is stepping up to the plate. I normally hear "the computer always has it in the right gear" comment reserved for Porche's automatics.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A young me swore I wouldn’t own a FWD vehicle. I had a Focus ST prior to my GT and miss it every day. When you find a good platform it’s hard not to love it.

That being said, I will always be at home with V8 RWD.

What year was your SI?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A young me swore I wouldn’t own a FWD vehicle. I had a Focus ST prior to my GT and miss it every day. When you find a good platform it’s hard not to love it.

That being said, I will always be at home with V8 RWD.

What year was your SI?
2012. It was cheaper than the ST. I know the ST had zero torque steer but I was a fresh soldier just completing a deployment. I built the suspension and did bolt ons with a tune. Obviously a tastefully rich non-hollow 3" exhaust. Wanted to go turbo but there was a nick in the block. Either build a new engine or get a new car.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
2012. It was cheaper than the ST. I know the ST had zero torque steer but I was a fresh soldier just completing a deployment. I built the suspension and did bolt ons with a tune. Obviously a tastefully rich non-hollow 3" exhaust. Wanted to go turbo but there was a nick in the block. Either build a new engine or get a new car.
I was looking at GTI, SI and ST. The ST was the only one I felt I really connected with. I did like the SI initially and tried to work a deal on a sedan but in hindsight I’m thankful it didn’t go through. High revving NA is fun but I didn’t feel like the car had a soul... lol.

The ST definitely has torque steer until you do something about the lower engine mount. I had a few wheel-ripping moments that were pretty “fun”.

Thanks for your service man.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm on the younger side, but I have only driven FWD cars for ten years. I have owned the S550 for over half a year and the layout is just better. I have so much more fun with it. I thought I would miss my Civic Si a lot more since it was my first track car, but aside from the exhaust note, I do not think I can say I miss it that much. The Civic Si is still fun, especially for a first car. But the oversteer and power deliver just makes it so much enjoyable on the track or getting on the freeway.

Does anyone share the same thoughts and just cannot go back to FWD? I know for sure I never want an automatic ever again. Driving stick for 6 years has just been too much fun.
I'm on the opposite side - growing up with RWD vehicles with V8s. I love my Fiesta ST. It does torque steer badly when you get on it and the ride is too rough, but it's a fun little thing. And it was relatively cheap.

But yes, in general I agree with you. Front engine rear drive is a better platform for a performance vehicle. And the Ford Coyote power delivery is good. Voodoo is even better.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
We haven't owned a FWD vehicle since 2009, when we got rid of my wife's Mazda 3S. I loved driving that car, far more than the Mercedes C280 that replaced it, and the C300 that replaced that, and the GLK350 that replaced that, but her new-ish 2017 C300 AMG Sport is a lot of fun to drive. I'm finally happy driving that car. Of course, my vehicles in that time period are a 2006 Mustang GT, 2016 Mustang GT, and a 1986 big block Camaro, but that's besides the point...

JR
Sponsored