Sponsored

I don't know if my car is actually starting in quiet mode...

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Mine is loud for a second as the valves close on start if I use quiet. I do have an aftermarket Borla exhaust so its still pretty loud on cold starts regardless. I can't remember if it did the same with stock.
Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
The valves are normally open all the time when the car is sitting off. However, I sometimes forget to set my quiet mode and the easy way to check is to turn on the ignition without starting the car. If you hear a 'click' from the exhaust - you will know you are in quiet mode for sure as the valves close.

I will say that with the colder weather - even with the valves closed, the first 5-7 seconds are still a bit loud.. however it's nothing compared to it starting in normal!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sorry I took so long but I got the goods!!

In the video below, I recorded while I had my girlfriend walk up and unlock the car and then IMMEDIATELY start it up. The car has the valves open prior to starting and close as soon as she starts the car without doing anything other than just starting it.
I stand corrected. Thank you for posting these videos. They clear everything up. :like:
So, the valves do not close after starting, as I thought, but actually they're already closed by the time the engine has started.
But then, this doesn't explain the initial roar, the first second or so after the start. If I start the car once in Normal mode and once with Quiet Start active, there's an obvious difference in the sound of the exhaust at idle, but the very first second of the engine start, the initial 'vroom', sounds the same to me in both cases. Why is that?

Jhalil101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Blue Mustang GT PP1
I stand corrected. Thank you for posting these videos. They clear everything up. :like:
So, the valves do not close after starting, as I thought, but actually they're already closed by the time the engine has started.
But then, this doesn't explain the initial roar, the first second or so after the start. If I start the car once in Normal mode and once with Quiet Start active, there's an obvious difference in the sound of the exhaust at idle, but the very first second of the engine start, the initial 'vroom', sounds the same to me in both cases. Why is that?
Hmm I’m really not sure, my cars roars in both cases just at very different volumes.

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
If you switch to quiet mode when you come home the night before, it will be quieter the next start.

I have an H pipe and keep it in quiet start 24/7. I have noticed if I come home in track, it starts louder the next morning vs switching it to quiet as I park.
I am noticing this too, and I was wondering if it were my ears. Seeing how quickly the valve modulates (from youtube videos), one would think that they could set the valve BEFORE they fire off the engine. My first morning start on Sunday, the car was well withing the quite mode time, but it fired up loud, and then the bup, bup, bup, bup, of the exhaust for about 2-3 seconds and then it went quiet.

Since then, I have noticed car actually starting in quiet mode, but then I have been turning car to quiet mode, as I approach my house at night, so I have been turning car off in quiet mode as well.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
That's odd. My Quiet start is just that, quiet. You do get the initial higher rpm sound when it roars to life but that initial roar is always quieter than the other modes.

Has anyone figured out when the car exits Quiet mode on it's own? Even though my display says Normal, the exhaust stays in Quiet unless I go to MyMode where I've got Sport+ exhaust or I go all the way around the horn on the menu BACK to Normal again.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
It doesn't. It stays in Quiet until you change it - either directly, or by selecting another drive mode.
What I'm seeing too but you can flick once to Normal Mode (which is where it defaults to on start anyway) but it does nothing. Must be okay but curious what others are seeing.

How do you get to the louder Normal exhaust after starting in Quiet?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
What I'm seeing too but you can flick once to Normal Mode (which is where it defaults to on start anyway) but it does nothing. Must be okay but curious what others are seeing.

How do you get to the louder Normal exhaust after starting in Quiet?
One flick just brings up the menu and shows you that you are currently in normal, you always have to double flick to get to a new mode. I have MyMode set up in track exhaust with normal drive mode, so I am always two flicks away from loudness.

You can flick 3 times and go to sport+, or 4 times for track/etc. Each of those changes the loudness level of your exhaust when you select them. I go for the settings I listed above to keep traction control on while getting the loudest setting.

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I don’t daily mine so I’m not worried about waking the neighbors at 6am. If I could change one thing, it would stay in the mode it was in when I shut it off. The valves shutting on start up ruin the sound of the voodoo roaring to life.

Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
I don’t daily mine so I’m not worried about waking the neighbors at 6am. If I could change one thing, it would stay in the mode it was in when I shut it off. The valves shutting on start up ruin the sound of the voodoo roaring to life.
Technically you could put the car in track mode and unplug the connectors / pull the fuse - however that will set an error message on the cluster and also not allow you to ever leave track mode on the fly.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
the very first second of the engine start, the initial 'vroom', sounds the same to me in both cases.
That shouldn't be the case. Do a simple test to see what your issue is. Turn ignition on in quiet mode first (no clutch or brake pedal depressed, so engine DOES NOT crank), then go check BOTH valves. If they are fully closed, go start the engine. If quieter than before, you'd know what the issue is: valves are taking longer than normal to close. If engine sounds the same, keep investigating while watching the valves, to see what's going on.

By the way, I tried starting my car in quiet mode without ignition first, and it started quiet. And my engine fires up almost instantly. So my valves are behaving the same way as the video posted: closing right before the starter starts cranking.

TomOz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 Ruby Red, 5.0 / 10 speed
By the way, I tried starting my car in quiet mode without ignition first, and it started quiet. And my engine fires up almost instantly. So my valves are behaving the same way as the video posted: closing right before the starter starts cranking.
Mine sounds the same, regardless if I start it the normal way, or if I hit the start button without brake pedal first and then start it.

busby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Avalanche Gray GT350, Kia Sorento!!!!!
Skipping to the end here as I'm scouring the forums on a break but... Is the difference between normally starting in quiet mode and now the fact that it was/is very cold outside at start-up? My GT350 has the same 'issue' that it roars to life (and wake the wife) when it's been below 40F-ish outside.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Skipping to the end here as I'm scouring the forums on a break but... Is the difference between normally starting in quiet mode and now the fact that it was/is very cold outside at start-up? My GT350 has the same 'issue' that it roars to life (and wake the wife) when it's been below 40F-ish outside.
More or less some people’s ae seems to not fully start in quiet mode as it should. The 350’s behave slightly differently. But on a non-350 quiet mode shuts the valves and leaves them shut until taken out of quiet mode. Other people’s ae it appears they don’t close until a second or two after start causing a very loud roar which defeats the purpose of the quiet mode. My .02 is that those people that get the initial vroom need to have the valves looked at under warranty and adjusted so it starts fully closed as they should.
Sponsored