Sponsored

I don't know if my car is actually starting in quiet mode...

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
My '19 GT, I had set the quiet time.

While I was well within my "quiet time", I started my car in the morning. It ROARED to life, and the exhaust sounded sound for about 2-3 seconds, and then I noticed it get suddenly quieter. I double-checked the dash, and it said "quiet".

So does the car actually not start in quiet mode? and if in quiet mode start, does it start normal and then adjust to quiet?
Or is it because I turned car off in normal mode the night before and it was COLD overnight, so the active valves froze???

I have shut my car off in quiet mode last night, so I am going to see if it starts quieter (or if there is a noticeable "drop" in noise 3-4 seconds after start) when I start it today, but was wondering if anyone else knew.
Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Turn the ignition on, next time you park it in normal. If the valves were open when you cut it off itā€™ll start with them open and then close them after the car is powered up. By turning ignition on fora second before starting the valves get power and close.

Jhalil101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Blue Mustang GT PP1
I never have to do anything special in my car, just hop in and start it during the quiet time window and itā€™s in quite mode the entire time. Definitely a noticeable difference too.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The car always starts with the valves wide open, hence the initial roar. Even though it's called 'quiet start', it doesn't actually start in quiet mode, but switches to quiet mode after a second or so.

Last edited:

Jhalil101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The car always starts with the valves wide open, hence the initial roar. It doesn't actually start in quiet mode, but it switches to quiet mode after a second or so.
Nope, mine starts with them closed, no roar or anything. Cold starts in normal mode are deafening so Iā€™d definitely know. Iā€™ll post a video once I get off work in about 4 hours. Letā€™s get to the bottom of it. The valve may not be fully closed but they arenā€™t anywhere near wide open.

Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
On my buddies car with active exhaust, if he parks it in normal or track mode the valves are open. In the morning he starts his car with the quiet schedule and itā€™s loud initially and then the valves close. Quoting things down. If he turns the ignition on for a second then starts it, itā€™s quiet from the start.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you want the car to start in quiet mode, the only way to ASSURE that, is by turning ignition ON first, then start the engine. I had to tell that to a stupid neighbor who woke me up every morning with his loud GT350, and it's not stupid loud initially anymore.

Jhalil101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On mine even if it was in quiet mode when I park it the valves will open back up while the car is off. When I start it in the quiet time window the valves will close again before it starts without me doing anything. Other than jumping right in a cranking it up. Never has mine started with the valves open during the quiet time window.. My car is a 2020, not sure if anything is different software wise from a later year GT.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It depends how quickly your engine starts. But it takes about a second for the valves to close; that's a fact (valves are open by default). Doubt anything is different with 2020s; it might be that your engine is taking a fraction of a second longer to start than others. That's why I said if you want FOR SURE to start in quiet mode, better turn ignition on before cranking engine.

Jhalil101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha, Iā€™ll get a video after work of the valves doing their thing. I wanna see exactly how they act under different circumstances. Iā€™ll be sure to post it up with a ton of info.

Sponsored

thrillawill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
You have to set "quite time" parameters as well as have quiet start selected. The car always starts a little louder because its a "cold start" even in quiet mode, but you can definitely tell the difference from a regular cold start.

Quiet start wont work at all unless you choose a time to go along with it. I have my quiet time set from midnight to 11am, my car starts up in quiet automatically during those hours. Just selecting "quiet start" wont do anything at all.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Not sure if the same, but on my 350 I have to turn the car on (no start) switch the exhaust to SPORT then back to NORMAL before actually starting...

...I peeked into the exhaust one morning and notice the valves seem to ā€œleakā€ open overnight.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Just push the button and go. I can hear the valves shut right before the car turns on. Turns in quiet and stays quiet.

also the gt350 doesnā€™t have a ā€œquiet ā€œ mode. Itā€™s normal or loud. The car will default to the normal setting on every turn on.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
On my 2019 at rest the valve is open in quiet mode. As soon as you start it, it closes but there is an initial roar when it first starts from the valve being open and the higher initial rpm. I have quiet mode on and the time on. After it starts this is what I see at idle:

Quiet mode is closed
Normal mode is 1/4 open
Sport mode is full open
Track mode is full open

If I'm reading my notes right at 3775 rpm's in Quiet Mode the valve starts to open.

Jhalil101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I took so long but I got the goods!!

In the video below, I recorded while I had my girlfriend walk up and unlock the car and then IMMEDIATELY start it up. The car has the valves open prior to starting and close as soon as she starts the car without doing anything other than just starting it.

This next video shows that the car does infact open the valves again when the motor is off even though the car was turned off in quiet mode.

This final video shows the car starting up and shutting off in normal mode.

Not sure whatā€™s up with some of the other guys cars in this thread, but this is how mine acts and Iā€™d assume itā€™s how all other would also act.
Sponsored