mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Question... did it make that noise when you looked it over prior to purchase?
I don't believe that it made that noise and nothing about the way it drove worried me. I also think I was just too excited when I picked up the car.
Sponsored

Rob-17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2023 Mach 1, 2020 F350 Powerstroke
Mine has had a similar noise since day 1. More noticeable from right front well than left. Hasn’t changed pitch or intensity in 2k miles. Also had an oil analysis at 750 miles and all looked normal.

Last edited:

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Literally, could be as simple as the wrong oil and having a service report could protect you if its bad news.

Don't panic yet.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Something that hadn't occurred to me earlier is that you didn't say where you bought the car or who serviced it last. It's entirely possible it has 5w20 or 5w30 in it. You might want to organize a change just to make sure it's the right oil.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Called up the dealer I purchased it from. They claim to have used 5w50. Oil pressure and Temp is solid and I've already put over 500miles on the car in 2 weeks time.

The only time I notice the noise is at idle. Otherwise, it's rock solid.

I did leave a message with my local Ford to bring it in and the dealer I purchased from. I'm under their 90 day warranty plus my 5y/60k.

So now I play the waiting game. In the meantime, I'm still gonna drive and love the car daily.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Called up the dealer I purchased it from. They claim to have used 5w50. Oil pressure and Temp is solid and I've already put over 500miles on the car in 2 weeks time.

I did leave a message with my local Ford to bring it in and the dealer I purchased from. I'm under their 90 day warranty plus my 5y/60k.

So now I play the waiting game. In the meantime, I'm still gonna drive and love the car daily.
Reminds me of the sounds my 2004 F150 5.4L 3-valve Triton made...

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
The Car and Driver 350, was actually using quite a bit of oil if you read the whole final column on it.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Question... did it make that noise when you looked it over prior to purchase?
No offense Drum but not all of us even drove our cars before delivery.
Personally I’ve never popped the hood and listened for any strange noises on a new car while checking it out. Maybe that’s just me.

Rob-17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2023 Mach 1, 2020 F350 Powerstroke

Same as mine. 5w50 Motorcraft oil, pressure and temp are fine. Only audible at idle from right wheel well. I drive my hard, no issues and like I mentioned above, noise hasn’t changed at all. I’ve seen some references about a “typewriter“ noise and I think there is a TSB, which said no action required. You have plenty of warranty just in case but honestly wouldn’t worry about it.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Same as mine. 5w50 Motorcraft oil, pressure and temp are fine. Only audible at idle from right wheel well. I drive my hard, no issues and like I mentioned above, noise hasn’t changed at all. I’ve seen some references about a “typewriter“ noise and I think there is a TSB, which said no action required. You have plenty of warranty just in case but honestly wouldn’t worry about it.
'
Same here with my 10,500 mile 2017. However, its worse right after an oil change and gets quieter over time. It also quiets down after running the car to red line a time or two.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
No offense Drum but not all of us even drove our cars before delivery.
Personally I’ve never popped the hood and listened for any strange noises on a new car while checking it out. Maybe that’s just me.
No offense taken. It was a used car. I figured that he would’ve taken the opportunity to do a walk round with a kick the tire moment.

I can understand ordered cars but this one was used and a pre-Gen2 car so I figured he drove it.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No offense taken. It was a used car. I figured that he would’ve taken the opportunity to do a walk round with a kick the tire moment.

I can understand ordered cars but this one was used and a pre-Gen2 car so I figured he drove it.
I drove it, did a walk around etc. I spent about a solid hour with it prior to buying it.

This came about roughly a week back and happens intermittently. In fact, it happened about when the Temps started dipping in MA.

Believe me, I wouldn't have just rushed into a large purchase just because it's a 350.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)

Agree. I haven’t bought many used cars in my lifetime but had impartial parties check them out beforehand. I’ve never bought a used car from a dealership.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like light piston slap before everything is @ 100% temp. Forged components take a bit for thermal expansion to kick in, which is why the supplement says power is restricted until oil is @ 190*. Is she queit after a nice hill run in the upper powerband? If so, carry on!

Also, rod knock will not go away with a temp change.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
sounds like light piston slap before everything is @ 100% temp. Forged components take a bit for thermal expansion to kick in, which is why the supplement says power is restricted until oil is @ 190*. Is she queit after a nice hill run in the upper powerband? If so, carry on!

Also, rod knock will not go away with a temp change.
Oh for sure. I ran it hard since the roads were empty at 5 AM and by the time I parked at work, it was whisper quiet.

Oil pressure was at 30 and temp 200 at idle. Pressure is solid (50-100) under throttle.

Car still drives like a dream. Even as it's getting colder out.
Sponsored