I don't know if I'm being paranoid but I need some input

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So I recently purchased a 2017 GT350 about 3 weeks ago. Absolutely love the car and beat on it daily.

When I first bought it, I noticed a knocking sound through the right side of my exhaust at idle. No codes and no rough surging either. The sound goes away under WOT as well. Oil temp is good and pressure ranges between 60-100 under all conditions. I do get a typewriter click between 2-4k when the car is cold so I was thinking with the knocking maybe an exhaust leak. I also figured it was the typical S550 clicking like my GT had. But I'm fearful that this might be the beginning of rod knock or a spun bearing.

Oil levels are solid (almost full) after 650miles and there's hardly anything in my catch can.

TL;DR: Funky knocking sound at idle; typewriter clicking between 2-4k when cold. I'm wicked paranoid and I want this car to last forever.

Sponsored

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Maybe it is just me but that sounds like cam or valve train. I'd definitely get an opinion from a skilled Ford mechanic or dealer. My GT350 does not make that noise.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about either one. The click doesn't sound like a problem, and if it goes away when the engine warms up, then don't worry about it.

The thumping sound from the exhaust was discussed on this forum a year or two back. Nobody's really sure what it is, but "it's normal" seemed to be the conclusion. Mine does it and it's got 25k miles on it.

My pet theory is that the cat's can't keep the fire going at idle, so they'll die and then restart with a light thump. As soon as you're off idle, they have enough exhaust to process that the fire stops going out. Could be total nonsense, though.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Maybe it is just me but that sounds like cam or valve train. I'd definitely get an opinion from a skilled Ford mechanic or dealer. My GT350 does not make that noise.
Yeah, I'm not liking this already. I tried to see if it's a G1/2 engine, but there was no sticker on the coil cover.

It drives fantastically otherwise, but I'd be bullshit if I had a legitimate issue.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about either one. The click doesn't sound like a problem, and if it goes away when the engine warms up, then don't worry about it.

The thumping sound from the exhaust was discussed on this forum a year or two back. Nobody's really sure what it is, but "it's normal" seemed to be the conclusion. Mine does it and it's got 25k miles on it.
The engine is warm. That's why I've been freaked out.

I try not to buy into the hype but it's hard to ignore when even new off the lot 2020s are detonating.

Sponsored

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The engine is warm. That's why I've been freaked out.

I try not to buy into the hype but it's hard to ignore when even new off the lot 2020s are detonating.

I've asked the encyclopedia of automotive knowledge to listen to it, if he replies we might have an answer. Worst case you still have 5 years, 60,000 miles on the power train.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've asked the encyclopedia of automotive knowledge to listen to it, if he replies we might have an answer. Worst case you still have 5 years, 60,000 miles on the power train.
That's true too. I mean, I baby all my cars in the maintenence sense. I check the oil 2-3x a week on this one in particular; wait until 190+ to go nuts on the it etc.

I just hope all the YT bullshit is hype for likes and this thing last 1000s of miles like other members here.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Well my brother is fond of reminding me during my endless questions, it is practically a race car. big compression, big rpms and all sorts of quirks related to a high performance engine. I'm with you on the regular oil checks, waiting for the right temps and all that. I just cleaned out my catch cans and had a surprising amount of oil( for me personally) in the passenger side so I called and checked. Other than that, my 2019 has not used a drop of oil or leaked, oozed anything from anywhere in it's first 4K miles. Six months down the road, I still smile every time it fires up and enjoy every drive.

Car and Driver put 40,000 miles on their test 2017 GT350 and it was just as fast at 40K as it was at 1,000 miles with no engine issues. I'm sure they enjoyed it like a stolen car for all 40K and that says a lot.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Oil temp is good and pressure ranges between 60-100 under all conditions.
I sense a valve train noise also. Oil pressures have been discussed many times in here and mine drops to 30 under idle when warm and 100+ under load. That is normal. You say you never see anything below 60? Ever?

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I sense a valve train noise also. Oil pressures have been discussed many times in here and mine drops to 30 under idle when warm and 100+ under load. That is normal. You say you never see anything below 60? Ever?
It'll be between 60-100 when rowing gears.

At idle, it hangs at 50 and the temp at 200.

I have a regular mechanic that specializes in engines/transmissions. Should I get him to run it through the gauntlet?

The thing thing that trips me up is that the car drives amazingly well.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

My brother, an excellent ASE certified in everything you can imagine, former Ford dealer mechanic says, "Take it to the dealer, asap." Does it have the correct oil was the first question? Does it have enough oil was the second? Third comment was that definitely does not sound right, while it might be nothing, getting it documented will get you warranty coverage later. Maybe it is not getting enough oil pressure or flow to the heads was a possibility.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My brother, an excellent ASE certified in everything you can imagine, former Ford dealer mechanic says, "Take it to the dealer, asap." Does it have the correct oil was the first question? Does it have enough oil was the second? Third comment was that definitely does not sound right, while it might be nothing, getting it documented will get you warranty coverage later. Maybe it is not getting enough oil pressure or flow to the heads was a possibility.
Shit I was hoping I didn't have to go down that road. I'm gonna call my local ford and see if we can first do an oil change and then have them inspect the car at the same time.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Question... did it make that noise when you looked it over prior to purchase?
Sponsored