I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to owning a forged race engine! Just make sure her oil temp is GTG and then keep her above 4k when shifting.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Welcome to owning a forged race engine! Just make sure her oil temp is GTG and then keep her above 4k.
Awesome. Already doing the above. I beat on the car like a circus monkey.

Haas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt350
Going through this thread has made me paranoid now. I think my engine is making the same noise even when warm? I had assumed it was normal but now I’m not sure.
Video of the sound

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Engine sounds great. Nothing I hear sounds worrying.

I haven’t found a 350 yet that doesn’t make that sound - including my built race engine.

What you’re hearing is definitely in the valve train up near the cams or possible the tensioners, but it’s normal. I wouldn’t worry. This engine is just really noisy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
After driving the car aggressively the past few days (don't always get to wring it out) I've noticed either the sound is non-existant or diminished.

I'm not burning oil. No grinding noises etc. The car shifts and runs perfectly.

I'm in agreement with some other members in that it's a racing engine and it's gonna sound a little funky.

Especially you, Honey Badger. I've watched your tear down videos and you definitely know the in's and outs if these motors.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
After driving the car aggressively the past few days (don't always get to wring it out) I've noticed either the sound is non-existant or diminished.

I'm not burning oil. No grinding noises etc. The car shifts and runs perfectly.

I'm in agreement with some other members in that it's a racing engine and it's gonna sound a little funky.

Especially you, Honey Badger. I've watched your tear down videos and you definitely know the in's and outs if these motors.

One note - the engine is sensitive to oil. Viscosity and level will cause all sorts of noises. So might not be a bad idea to do a fresh change.

OP
OP
mysta_sandman

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Going through this thread has made me paranoid now. I think my engine is making the same noise even when warm? I had assumed it was normal but now I’m not sure.
Video of the sound
RedRuby and I have been sharing videos. He had the exact same sound and after ford checked his 350 out, they said it wS due to a fresh oil change.
One note - the engine is sensitive to oil. Viscosity and level will cause all sorts of noises. So might not be a bad idea to do a fresh change.
The oil was changed 600mi ago. Levels are good. First thing I did was buy a JLT Catch Can. Almost nothing in there and the levels are still good. I check the oil about 3-5 times a week.

Haas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt350
Engine sounds great. Nothing I hear sounds worrying.

I haven’t found a 350 yet that doesn’t make that sound - including my built race engine.

What you’re hearing is definitely in the valve train up near the cams or possible the tensioners, but it’s normal. I wouldn’t worry. This engine is just really noisy.
ok great glad to have some confirmation from someone so familiar with this engine!

RedRuby and I have been sharing videos. He had the exact same sound and after ford checked his 350 out, they said it wS due to a fresh oil change.
Funny enough I just changed my oil last Saturday for my first track day this weekend! Cool that it’s such a specific noise/situation. I also remember last time I changed my oil is when I first noticed this noise.

and using Amsoil just for reference as well.

Sponsored

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
ok great glad to have some confirmation from someone so familiar with this engine!

Funny enough I just changed my oil last Saturday for my first track day this weekend! Cool that it’s such a specific noise/situation. I also remember last time I changed my oil is when I first noticed this noise.

and using Amsoil just for reference as well.
Mine does it with either Amsoil or MC but does lessen as time passes. I firmly believe its a lash adjuster not pumping up adequately and the rocker contacts the valve a little more aggressively than normal.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine does it with either Amsoil or MC but does lessen as time passes. I firmly believe its a lash adjuster not pumping up adequately and the rocker contacts the valve a little more aggressively than normal.
I'm thinking it's the chain tensioner. Sounds a bit like a flutter to me. But not 100% sure

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Oil pressure was at 30 and temp 200 at idle. Pressure is solid (50-100) under throttle.
This doesn't have me convinced that you have 5W-50.

I'm not sure I've ever seen oil pressure as low as 30psi.... And it can get well north of 100psi.

Additionally, the noise you describe when cold sounds like piston slap and it's pretty normal for these engines. In mine, you only hear it when the engine isn't under load, either decel or accel. Give it some gas and it goes away.
Sponsored