I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
Through the rabbit hole of internet research, I have no idea how I got there so don't ask :) , I came across some posts of Porsche owners with the same descriptive type of rattle. They attributed it to the dual disc type of clutch we have and say they hear it all the time on 911's... Take it how you will, but that's what I read on the internet!

I will wholeheartedly agree with you if the rattle and tick were gone, these engines would be utterly FANTASTIC!
I believe there are 2 rattles on the Mt. The louder of the two is definitely drive line. In the background you can pick up a much quieter simulator rattle at the same rpm . I read post here saying that the rattle can't come From the transmission because it only happens in a certain rpm range. But clutch speed is clutch speed no mater what the gear.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I believe there are 2 rattles on the Mt. The louder of the two is definitely drive line. In the background you can pick up a much quieter simulator rattle at the same rpm . I read post here saying that the rattle can't come From the transmission because it only happens in a certain rpm range. But clutch speed is clutch speed no mater what the gear.
True, It's easy to get the twin disc to chatter/rattle especially if you push it all the way in real fast when in reverse for example. Doesn't explain why 10R80 owners have the rattle too though.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
So, this 2K rattle is sometimes driving me nuts. Sometimes I'm happy to ignore it, radio up, etc, but sometimes, I just home in on it. IMO, it DOES take away from the overall ownership experience of the car and I am a little irate at Ford for basically saying "Well, live with it...". That being said, I love my car, and grudgingly ignore it, although it irritates me to HAVE to ignore it...

Anyway, that aside, something happened the other day that DEFINITELY changed the speed of the 2K rattle instantaneously! For whatever reason, I slipped the clutch just right in some manner (for which I haven't been able to replicate, nor do I want to burn up my clutch trying it over and over), and it suddenly went from its usually predictable rattle to a REALLY FAST one, for just a second or two... The RPM's didn't really spike either, it's not like I went from 2k-4k stupid fast, it was just a brief slip of some sort. It was definitely a direct result of what I was doing with my clutch. I'm kind of leaning into the dual mass clutch theory in light of this. Whatever I did, had a very direct and immediate impact on it.

Just throwing that out there for the mechanical minds above mine to digest...

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Side note: was doing a little research on converting from a dual mass flywheel to single, and it seems like a bad idea. Apparently dual clutch flywheels basically absorb a shit ton of vibrations from the engine and going to a single would basically bring all sorts of other sounds/vibrations into the picture. A case where the cure would be worse...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Side note: was doing a little research on converting from a dual mass flywheel to single, and it seems like a bad idea. Apparently dual clutch flywheels basically absorb a shit ton of vibrations from the engine and going to a single would basically bring all sorts of other sounds/vibrations into the picture. A case where the cure would be worse...
You're thinking of a dual mass flywheel. Which has multiple plates separated by springs. A twin disc clutch just has two plates and an intermediate floating plate for more clamping force. You can use a dual mass flywheel with any clutch setup. Most OEM setups use one for multiple reasons. Vibration and being harder to stall are the main ones.

The 15-17 cars use a single disc setup, which apart from not lasting that long worked OK.

Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
You're thinking of a dual mass flywheel. Which has multiple plates separated by springs. A twin disc clutch just has two plates and an intermediate floating plate for more clamping force. You can use a dual mass flywheel with any clutch setup. Most OEM setups use one for multiple reasons. Vibration and being harder to stall are the main ones.

The 15-17 cars use a single disc setup, which apart from not lasting that long worked OK.
Ah, my bad, I'm exhausted...!

qwk93ta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 M6 & 2015 Hellcat A8 (10.83 @ 127)
UGGG....I have the 2k rattle, I just bought an 18 PP1, m6, with 4k miles last Saturday. I didn't hear it on the test drive because the car was warming up while the dealer got my license and ins info. My car is certified so I have a warranty until 4-23 but sounds like I'll be told it's normal like Ford did with my old 15 premium, PP1, m6 that had the IRS vibration at 50 MPH. I sold that car after owning it about 10 months. This sucks!!!

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
UGGG....I have the 2k rattle, I just bought an 18 PP1, m6, with 4k miles last Saturday. I didn't hear it on the test drive because the car was warming up while the dealer got my license and ins info. My car is certified so I have a warranty until 4-23 but sounds like I'll be told it's normal like Ford did with my old 15 premium, PP1, m6 that had the IRS vibration at 50 MPH. I sold that car after owning it about 10 months. This sucks!!!
Every gen 3 coyote has the rattle. Relax it's OK. (the people who claim to not have it are deaf or in denial)

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Every gen 3 coyote has the rattle. Relax it's OK. (the people who claim to not have it are deaf or in denial)
This.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
UGGG....I have the 2k rattle
That's probably the only undesirable V8 Coyote trait that is truly 'normal', and reportedly doesn't affect engine longevity at all, so relax :). I'd be a lot less satisfied if it was the dreaded tick.

Sponsored

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My 16 has the 2k rpm rattle and its not direct injected. My rattle goes away when the engine gets really warm. It has almost 30k on it and Ive noticed the rattle at 500 miles ish. It doesnt burn drop of oil, I did compression test at 13k miles and all was good, last 3 oil analysis have come back good and bore scoped most of the cylinders at 15k miles and didnt see anything wrong. I put a Whipple on and funny thing is even before the first boosted pull when cold the rattle got way louder.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm still wondering if the 2K rattle is cam chain/tensioner noise - it sounds like that kind of noise. Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that after market chain tensioners can cure the 2K rattle?

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I think it was that someone (MMR?) stated that they would but no amount of online prompts elicited anything like a response.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
My 16 has the 2k rpm rattle and its not direct injected. My rattle goes away when the engine gets really warm. It has almost 30k on it and Ive noticed the rattle at 500 miles ish. It doesnt burn drop of oil, I did compression test at 13k miles and all was good, last 3 oil analysis have come back good and bore scoped most of the cylinders at 15k miles and didnt see anything wrong. I put a Whipple on and funny thing is even before the first boosted pull when cold the rattle got way louder.

Yup... Thanks for posting!

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
I have access to 93
I've always wondered if the rattle was potentially fuel related. As in compression ratio, variable timing, low rpm 2k rattle, underload ......in my experience the perfect storm for ping.
Any one with the 2k rattle ever try locking out the CMCV plates?

Back in th Old smog era Ford used valves on the exhaust side that rattled.
Once I installed the Ford Performance CAI and calibration on my ’20 GT and ran 94 octane, rattle went away, ticking still present (it’s just the direct injection). Engine pulls hard and runs smooth. I also use Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic.
Sponsored