Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Even better, go from idle to 1,200, but VERY GRADUALLY, not abruptly blipping the throttle like you were doing. Then you could rev it to 2K to 2.2K, to see how loud the 2K rattle is like that. Then go for a drive with open windows, exhaust in quiet, and radio off, and see how it compares. Then give us your report :D.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Even better, go from idle to 1,200, but VERY GRADUALLY, not abruptly blipping the throttle like you were doing. Then you could rev it to 2K to 2.2K, to see how loud the 2K rattle is like that. Then go for a drive with open windows, exhaust in quiet, and radio off, and see how it compares. Then give us your report :D.
Hmm, I can’t tell what I’m supposed to be looking for. Tried it in Quiet mode, tried it idle. That rattling sound I posted is only evident when “pumping” the gas pedal between 800-1500.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Hmm, I can’t tell what I’m supposed to be looking for. Tried it in Quiet mode, tried it idle. That rattling sound I posted is only evident when “pumping” the gas pedal between 800-1500.
I think there is a TSB about a similar noise you're describing. Can't seem to find it right now - maybe @Cobra Jet can chime in.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Alright since I can’t tell, maybe you internet gurus can. I didn’t hear that metalic rattle from last video and most noises appear normal, at least to me.

https://imgur.com/a/2u9ZoEd

one video is just engine idling and the other is holding it between 2-2.2k twice

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Alright since I can’t tell, maybe you internet gurus can. I didn’t hear that metalic rattle from last video and most noises appear normal, at least to me.

one video is just engine idling and the other is holding it between 2-2.2k twice
Doesn't sound bad in those two videos while at a constant idle, or constant 2-2.2K RPM. If it's making that rattling noise only when revving up and down, it could be something like the chain tensioners not keeping the timing chains totally tight during acceleration and deceleration of the chains - just a theory.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

sounds normal to me

Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had the 2k rattle since somewhere around 1-2k miles, now at 9k, hasn’t changed a bit. Drove me nuts for a while, but now I don’t even care anymore, especially after everything I’ve read here. I pitched out for the Ford ESP service contract 6 years 125k miles, so whatever happens, happens. You don’t have to turn up the radio all that much either to drown it out completely. I just hope someday someone solves the mystery... My personal guess is either the clutch or tranny.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
One thing to always remember, is that when you start your car cold, never put your foot down until it's warmed up. I never go over 2k rpm until the temps are all normal. I have noticed in my car the rattle seems to be loudest when VERY cold. As soon as the oil warms up, it gets much quieter. However, it's not piston slap though, because the block in 3rd Gen grows much more than the previous Gens. That means if it was piston slap, it would get worse as the cylinders grow after warmup. My guess it is has a lot to do with the oil temp. Once it warms up and thins out, it provides the proper pressure and flow to the Phasors, HPFP, chain tensioners, etc.
My thing is, how does this not happen when the car is new? Does the block grow differently at 8K miles now that the rattle just started? I can believe it's better for the car to warm up before getting on it. When a problem "develops" I call it a problem and not normal. It does seem to get quieter when warm, but there are cars out there that do not have the problem. Mine used to be one of them. Just frustrated. Mine sounds like playing cards in the spokes of a bicycle tire. (Showing my age...)

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My guess is those who say didn't have the rattle before, just hadn't heard it before, which is different. I thought my car didn't have it too, and when I put the exhaust in quiet, and left the stereo off, BAM! There it was. Ha ha. I only drove like that once, when my wife fell asleep while on a wonderful mountain road, so had to take it easy, and hear the super annoying rattle constantly. Will give it a try to see how loud it is outside when I can open the windows, but at least I cannot hear it at all with either the stereo on, or the exhaust not in quiet mode. And since I almost always do both, I can live with it. Just hope the tick never shows up, or I'd be pissed :D.
Sponsored