Sponsored

I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a 2018 Mustang GT with a really bad rattle from 2-3K RPM moderate acceleration. The car didn't have it when I bought it. It has 8K miles now. From what I understand this is specific to the 2018s because of the plasma coated cylinders? Someone else on here stated they think it's related to the same TSB that came out for the F150s with the 5.0 that's corrextes with a PCM update. I don't believe that to be true because my car didn't always have the rattle and it's gotten worse.

I am going to bring the car in tomorrow. If they do find scoring and I need a new engine that is really going to suck because it's going to depreciate the value of my car. Any other options at that point?

Please keep this specific to the 2K rattle and not the tick it's two separate issues. Has anyone on here had the rattle and needed a new motor?
Sponsored

nodie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0L
I have a 2018 Mustang GT with a really bad rattle from 2-3K RPM moderate acceleration. The car didn't have it when I bought it. It has 8K miles now. From what I understand this is specific to the 2018s because of the plasma coated cylinders? Someone else on here stated they think it's related to the same TSB that came out for the F150s with the 5.0 that's corrextes with a PCM update. I don't believe that to be true because my car didn't always have the rattle and it's gotten worse.

I am going to bring the car in tomorrow. If they do find scoring and I need a new engine that is really going to suck because it's going to depreciate the value of my car. Any other options at that point?

Please keep this specific to the 2K rattle and not the tick it's two separate issues. Has anyone on here had the rattle and needed a new motor?
I had the TSB done on my F150 and it did not solve the issue at all, as most have reported as well.

The 2K rattle sounds much different than the Rattle on deceleration. I was under the impression that the TSB 18-2354 addresses only the rattle on deceleration but I went back and read the TSB, and it seems like they tried to solve an additional noise that can be heard when 'tipping in the throttle at around 2000 rpm'. Maybe they tried to fix both issues with one TSB but who knows. It didn`t work and that`s a fact. I believe they are 2 different issues. The tick is another. Love this gen of motor, great job Ford! :thumbsdown:

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I'm getting a new short block right now because of the rattle. When I took it in they didn't even look at the car. they just heard the rattle and said that it need a new short block. That was over 45 days ago and I have since had a buy back approved

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine has just under 2k miles and I'm starting to hear the rattle. I hear it most after a cold start and pulling out of my neighborhood. When the block is warmed up I don't hear it as much if at all. Really don't want to go through replacement of the block.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Does hearing the rattle mean ....metal in the oil or cylinder wall scuffing or... rod bearing clearances wacked or possibly cam bearings self destructing if it's not the main bearing clearances wacked. Or wait.... forgot the lack of a belt tensioner....

I read here that a short block replacement did not require a preauthorization. Makes me pause and wonder....

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My 2019 was made in Nov 11 2018 car had 9 miles on it at time of delivery, test drove the car and no noises of any kind. At 200 miles it started to tick cold or hot didn't matter and also had a piston rattle from 1500 - 2800 rpm on light throttle from a dead stop. Continued to drive it to 400 miles dumped the factory fill oil and cut the oil filter open no metal just a few small pieces of silicone and a few specs of aluminum. Re filled it with Rotella T6 and a new Ford filter along with 2 bottles of Ceratec ticking is gone and the motor is overall smoother and quitter, however still has the piston slap rattle at rpm. Currently at 585 miles pulled all 8 plugs last night and bore scoped the cylinders all looked good there were some faint lines from piston motion which is normal, cylinders 1, 3 & 8 had slightly more scratches than the rest by a small margin. Going to put another 200 - 300 miles on it then going to cut the oil filter open again and inspect it for metal, I believe the issue is PTW cold is good then the blocks fully warms up and the block grows but the cast / hypereutectic pistons don't grow enough to make up the difference hence the clearance increases and the slap occurs. May try to do a cold start and then drive it within a couple of minutes at light throttle to see if it rattles when cold if it doesn't then my theory holds water. May explain why the GT 350 shares the same issues cold but when the block warms up the forged pistons grow enough to make up the clearance and the sound goes away.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
My 2019 was made in Nov 11 2018 car had 9 miles on it at time of delivery, test drove the car and no noises of any kind. At 200 miles it started to tick cold or hot didn't matter and also had a piston rattle from 1500 - 2800 rpm on light throttle from a dead stop. Continued to drive it to 400 miles dumped the factory fill oil and cut the oil filter open no metal just a few small pieces of silicone and a few specs of aluminum. Re filled it with Rotella T6 and a new Ford filter along with 2 bottles of Ceratec ticking is gone and the motor is overall smoother and quitter, however still has the piston slap rattle at rpm. Currently at 585 miles pulled all 8 plugs last night and bore scoped the cylinders all looked good there were some faint lines from piston motion which is normal, cylinders 1, 3 & 8 had slightly more scratches than the rest by a small margin. Going to put another 200 - 300 miles on it then going to cut the oil filter open again and inspect it for metal, I believe the issue is PTW cold is good then the blocks fully warms up and the block grows but the cast / hypereutectic pistons don't grow enough to make up the difference hence the clearance increases and the slap occurs. May try to do a cold start and then drive it within a couple of minutes at light throttle to see if it rattles when cold if it doesn't then my theory holds water. May explain why the GT 350 shares the same issues cold but when the block warms up the forged pistons grow enough to make up the clearance and the sound goes away.
This is interesting...

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Once I download the pics from my bore scope I will try to post them up. For anyone that has done a bore scope you know that the cylinders are shiny and it's very hard to capture light scratches. Yoh can however see the cross hatch very well if you look closely.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
What fuel are you using?

Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Well, mine rattles at 2000-3000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd only, hot or cold.

I'm driving it until it blows up or Ford has a fix.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Once I download the pics from my bore scope I will try to post them up. For anyone that has done a bore scope you know that the cylinders are shiny and it's very hard to capture light scratches. Yoh can however see the cross hatch very well if you look closely.
Here's my cylinder, pretty significant grooves. They heard the rattle, kept the car and have me a rental, and I'm guessing the long block will be in early next week. Of course, I'm crossing my fingers that this one is a little "tighter" and plan to baby the the hell out of it and let it really warm up before revving it at all for a while, because what else can I do? I love the car and want it right. If this one rattles, I'll take it back to have it acknowledged, and then wait for an alternative fix from Ford.
16005.jpeg
16376.jpeg

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Here are some shots of mine average and worst.
5C2EDE2C.jpg
5C2EDDFC.jpg

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Here's my cylinder, pretty significant grooves. They heard the rattle, kept the car and have me a rental, and I'm guessing the long block will be in early next week. Of course, I'm crossing my fingers that this one is a little "tighter" and plan to baby the the hell out of it and let it really warm up before revving it at all for a while, because what else can I do? I love the car and want it right. If this one rattles, I'll take it back to have it acknowledged, and then wait for an alternative fix from Ford.
16005.jpeg
16376.jpeg
How many miles on that engine, it's hard to tell without actually feeling the bore with your finger and checking if your nail can catch any of the grooves. When a piston slaps it's going to leave a shadow per say in the bore, looking at that picture it doesn't look like anything is scored. Unfortunately I would venture a guess that the new engine will have the same issues which leads me to believe these engines are just set up loose to cover a wide range of driving styles. Ford has to cover there ass for the person that just fires up the car and goes WOT without getting it up to temp, if they set it up tighter that person would most likely score the cylinder for real and possibly collapse the piston skirts with enough time. My engine was made in Nov 11 2018 and it has the tick and slap but the cylinders look good, that may change with higher mileage only time will tell.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles on that engine, it's hard to tell without actually feeling the bore with your finger and checking if your nail can catch any of the grooves. When a piston slaps it's going to leave a shadow per say in the bore, looking at that picture it doesn't look like anything is scored. Unfortunately I would venture a guess that the new engine will have the same issues which leads me to believe these engines are just set up loose to cover a wide range of driving styles. Ford has to cover there ass for the person that just fires up the car and goes WOT without getting it up to temp, if they set it up tighter that person would most likely score the cylinder for real and possibly collapse the piston skirts with enough time. My engine was made in Nov 11 2018 and it has the tick and slap but the cylinders look good, that may change with higher mileage only time will tell.
Right around 4800 miles. It has been doing it since around 1000, but seemed to be getting louder and more obnoxious, certainly not a sound that a car guy would put up with under any circumstances. I posted a video in another thread of it. I think the engine was assembled in May 18, don't recall for sure. I expect it back early next week since the engine has been there since sometime last week. I'll definitely update.
Sponsored