Sponsored

I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ceratec seems to work well to eliminate the tick, so the tick has to be related to something the oil can influence. The rattle, in my case, is more severe with the A/C on. If ceratec and/or thicker oils do nothing to change it, I have to believe it isn't internal clearance related.
That could be ... but also keep in mind that some engine components that have excessive clearance may not be affected by the oil. For instance, if there is excessive piston to cylinder clearance that causes piston slap noise, it's possible that the oil viscosity or additives won't ever change that noise.

First time I've heard someone report that the 2K RPM rattle got worse with the AC on. Are you saying with the AC on and the engine held at 2K RPM the rattle is noticeably worse?
Sponsored

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Drove the car pretty hard and for a good distance today across town for a meeting. I can hear the rattle if hot or cold and even cruising at speed it I tip in the throttle on the highway. It almost seems like it's the clutch? I get a short grind over 4k rpm if I shift. The grind is new as of today. First time I've heard it. Crossed 2k miles this afternoon. Had the car since last August.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Anyone up for doing an analysis of the factory oil fill to see if there's anything interesting in there? Would rule out the possibility there's something like Ceratec in there already.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone up for doing an analysis of the factory oil fill to see if there's anything interesting in there? Would rule out the possibility there's something like Ceratec in there already.
Would also have to do an oil analysis on some new Motorcraft 5W-20 for a baseline.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Whose oil analysis would give you that answer?

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Would also have to do an oil analysis on some new Motorcraft 5W-20 for a baseline.
Ideally yes, but I reckon most companies that do oil analysis will be able to tell if there's anything interesting in there worthy of further investigation ie high traces of something not normally encountered in the composition.

Whose oil analysis would give you that answer?
Not sure I'm understanding the question properly (if so, apologies) but there are a number of companies that will do this. A few folks on here have it done already but not on 2018+ factory fill stuff AFAIK.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ideally yes, but I reckon most companies that do oil analysis will be able to tell if there's anything interesting in there worthy of further investigation ie high traces of something not normally encountered in the composition.
Agreed if the lab already has Motorcraft 5W-20 analysis numbers on file. Otherwise would have to do an analysis on Motorcraft 5W-20 out of the bottle so you know what the baseline composition is to determine if it's different or not from the factory fill.

Example, if the factory fill had 2 or 3 times more moly (friction modifier) in it, then that might be the only difference that affects how the engine sounds. They could have the same basic formulation, but different concentrations of components.

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Cheers @ GT Pony agree there's value in that. But also suggest (and I may be way off here) that oils such as factory file, while different, are typically similar enough to the point that anything that would silence an audible engine sound would be obvious. So it'd have to be something like the addition of Ceratec, which one would hope would show up in an oil analysis, and that the folks doing the analysis are well versed in identifying these things. Just my 2c, I think the start point is finding someone who's willing to do it.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
That could be ... but also keep in mind that some engine components that have excessive clearance may not be affected by the oil. For instance, if there is excessive piston to cylinder clearance that causes piston slap noise, it's possible that the oil viscosity or additives won't ever change that noise.

First time I've heard someone report that the 2K RPM rattle got worse with the AC on. Are you saying with the AC on and the engine held at 2K RPM the rattle is noticeably worse?
Yes. With my engine warm right now, I have zero rattle. It rattles some when cold though. If I turn the A/C on, I have rattle whether it is hot or cold.
With piston clearance, you would have improvement when warm. Many have no improvement.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Drove the car pretty hard and for a good distance today across town for a meeting. I can hear the rattle if hot or cold and even cruising at speed it I tip in the throttle on the highway. It almost seems like it's the clutch? I get a short grind over 4k rpm if I shift. The grind is new as of today. First time I've heard it. Crossed 2k miles this afternoon. Had the car since last August.
I think your grind into 4th is covered in the TSB for the shift fork.

Sponsored

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I think your grind into 4th is covered in the TSB for the shift fork.
I would encourage not doing that any time soon, they held my car for over 4 weeks trying to source the parts from that TSB.

I ended up with an entirely new transmission assembly because they never could get the parts.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I would encourage not doing that any time soon, they held my car for over 4 weeks trying to source the parts from that TSB.

I ended up with an entirely new transmission assembly because they never could get the parts.
That's pretty inconvenient for such a small fix.

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
That's pretty inconvenient for such a small fix.
Yeah at this point I have lost faith in dealing with Ford. Things happen, but the way they handled all of this in my situation has been absolutely abhorrent.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Yeah at this point I have lost faith in dealing with Ford. Things happen, but the way they handled all of this in my situation has been absolutely abhorrent.
Abhorrent LOL. what dealer you dealing with? Im wondering b/c im in DFW area too

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Now that you mention it, I haven't heard the 2k rattle since I took my manifold off to port it. Like I've said before though I haven't been driving it a lot or listening very well.
I'm starting to think the rattle might be intake/CMCV/DI/PI/TiVCT
Seems so much is going on with these systems in this rpm range.
Sponsored