I did it again, could not help myself... bought another car

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Always wanted one of these... I know I know, it won't be a GT350R, but I just like it. It is not THIS car, but it exactly like it... Pics to follow after the normal wash polish ceramic protection...

LeMans-Blue-BMW-E92-M3-Gets-Modified-At-European-Auto-Source-6.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
BMW = Bleed My Wallet lol. They are nice though.
No they are not if you know how to do the work yourself... I don't see a dealer ever.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No they are not if you know how to do the work yourself... I don't see a dealer ever.
That's how I am, and I've owned a few German cars so far. As an "OEM parts only" purist though, doing the maintenance even by yourself still feels painful. I'm mostly just giving you shit in jest though.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
A coworker of mine has a 5 series. To bleed the brakes you have to plug it into a BMW computer in order to open the valves. Pretty sad. While I admire the looks of BMW, I would never, ever want one.
I was just going to ask about this kind of stuff.
When I here others say “I do all maintenance myself” I wonder about having access to special tools, computers etc.
I’m no mechanic so I don’t really understand how that all works. Please explain.

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Owned this exact model and color M3. A fantastic daily driver with the high revving V8, dynamic shocks- a pretty awesome car for the time. Not sure it would be as fun or different driving it around now vs the GT350R though. They seem similar in many ways to me, but my memory is fading on the M3 since my last drive in that car was 8 years ago....

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
A coworker of mine has a 5 series. To bleed the brakes you have to plug it into a BMW computer in order to open the valves. Pretty sad. While I admire the looks of BMW, I would never, ever want one.
Nah, only if you have air in the abs pump... I do have the software though. It's pretty much just pump and bleed , just like any other cars otherwise.
Again, it's not for people with 2 left hands :)

cantdrive55

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R, 96 Viper GTS
Vehicle Showcase
I'd still love an E46 M3 someday. I have a feeling they're going to get expensive soon...

Wanted an E39 M5 until a friend had one and spent as much money on maintenance/repairs as he did for the damn car.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yes they are. They have a terrible resale value..require a lot of maintenence, are over engineered and too complicated for even the simple parts. There are reasons people like scotty Kilmer say they are one of the last brands you should have.

This being said, ive had an m3 and two 330i. Probably wont go back though. My buddy has a 535i he can't get away from. They are nice cars, and if someone has the money to throw at it, fine. But they are money pits. I do love my BMW s1000rr motorcycle though. Will never leave those bikes.

That said..beautiful car. Im sure itll be a blast to own. Would love to see the pics when you have them.

Last edited:

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
E92 M3 , I had a Silverstone colour one before I got my Mustang. Is yours manual or dct? I had a manual and because I drive a lot in traffic I had to get rid of it and bought an auto Mustang. That is one of the best sounding V8 engines IMO. If mine was a twin clutch I wouldn’t have got rid of it. The interior quality is way better than the Stangs but they aren’t cheap to maintain, I live in Australia and to replace the brakes and rotors, I got quoted 5k. My brother in law had the M5 V10, it sounded amazing but he blew the trans and that cost him around 30K. If you can afford the maintenance, they are amazing cars!
18513734-4ABA-4F60-8D60-390E8A4C94EE.jpeg
A3F69D4C-F0C9-4A79-8705-82455C9DF529.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I'd still love an E46 M3 someday. I have a feeling they're going to get expensive soon...

Wanted an E39 M5 until a friend had one and spent as much money on maintenance/repairs as he did for the damn car.
I had a E36 M3, E46 M3 and the E85 M5 (v10).. Of all, the E46 M3 was the one I miss. I could easily swing a clean E46 M3 for the money I paid for the E92, but I always wanted an E92... I think it has better shapes and hasn't aged that bad . Plus that 8400 RPM V8...

I love the comfort and handling on my 335xi, the M3 will only be better...
E92 M3 , I had a Silverstone colour one before I got my Mustang. Is yours manual or dct? I had a manual and because I drive a lot in traffic I had to get rid of it and bought an auto Mustang. That is one of the best sounding V8 engines IMO. If mine was a twin clutch I wouldn’t have got rid of it. The interior quality is way better than the Stangs but they aren’t cheap to maintain, I live in Australia and to replace the brakes and rotors, I got quoted 5k. My brother in law had the M5 V10, it sounded amazing but he blew the trans and that cost him around 30K. If you can afford the maintenance, they are amazing cars!
18513734-4ABA-4F60-8D60-390E8A4C94EE.jpeg
A3F69D4C-F0C9-4A79-8705-82455C9DF529.jpeg
Hey mate, I lived in Melbourne, AU many years... That is not a country where you can buy these cars... all is too expensive. I owned the E46 M3 CSL there, it cost me north of 80k... I was babying it like it was a jewel scared of potential gearbox failure... never again. Manual all the way.

My M3 is manual. the M5 V10 I owned was also manual, I knew about the gearbox issues... I actually fixed the vanos pump on it, replaced rod bearings... then I sold it (cost me under 4k in US) . I saw the GT350 coming out, and I had to have it.

Now I am bitten again by the M bug to be honest. It's something special, different car than the Shelby; but I will never replace the GT350R with an M. With an F430, maybe.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they are. They have a terrible resale value..require a lot of maintenence, are over engineered and too complicated for even the simple parts. There are reasons people like scotty Kilmer say they are one of the last brands you should have.

This being said, ive had an m3 and two 330i. Probably wont go back though. My buddy has a 535i he can't get away from. They are nice cars, and if someone has the money to throw at it, fine. But they are money pits. I do love my BMW s1000rr motorcycle though. Will never leave those bikes.

That said..beautiful car. Im sure itll be a blast to own. Would love to see the pics when you have them.
As I said, they are excellent cars for 2 categories of people: a. Deep wallet (but those won't bother buying old, all BMW's and Porsches I see around me are leased, they just get new cars every 5 years) or b. Enthusiasts, mechanically inclined that do ALL the repairs, mods and maintenance at home (this is me)

Obviously people that complain are in none of the 2 categories, case when they should not look at a BMW (or Audi or Porsche for that matter, they all have their issues). They should all drive Toyota's, or for a more sporty feeling, a Honda in fact.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
As I said, they are excellent cars for 2 categories of people: a. Deep wallet (but those won't bother buying old, all BMW's and Porsches I see around me are leased, they just get new cars every 5 years) or b. Enthusiasts, mechanically inclined that do ALL the repairs, mods and maintenance at home (this is me)

Obviously people that complain are in none of the 2 categories, case when they should not look at a BMW (or Audi or Porsche for that matter, they all have their issues). They should all drive Toyota's, or for a more sporty feeling, a Honda in fact.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
while i agree with your points, i do all my own repairs and mods as well, but its quite simply cheaper to do so with say..a mustang..than an m3 for example. also, bmw..mercedes..etc have many more computers and random things going on even for just an AC unit, much less other things. More issues and more complicated issues normally can arise from that.

i agree though, and said it myself, that if you have the wallet to justify not making the best financial decisions, none of this really even applies to you. They obviously are nice cars and i enjoyed my experience with my BMWs, the BMW cars just arent worth it to me. The bikes on the other hand....

i am by no means faulting you or arguing your purchase. they make sense for you, but they are still money pits once you have to do anything to them..which hey, in the modding scene...they are all money pits. My mustang included. lol
Sponsored