Sponsored

i can’t be the only one who runs regular in a GT right?

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
This is a cut and paste from here https://www.jbimportauto.com/blog/does-higher-octane-fuel-boost-your-car-s-performance

Fact vs. Myth

The fact is, the difference in gasoline octane levels has nothing to do with the stored energy in the fuel. Octane ratings pertain only to the pre-ignition (ping) caused by modern high compression motors. Using higher-octane fuel than indicated will add nothing to your vehicle’s performance or its gas mileage. It won’t make it run any smoother either.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that 87 actually has more stored energy per gallon than 93 does. So if you took a gallon of 87 and a gallon of 93 and threw a match into each of them the 87 would make the biggest bang (please don't try that). But because the 93 can be compressed more is why it can yield more power. So using the lowest octane that can withstand the compression your engine has (without the engine detuning itself) would be the right fuel to use.
Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
These articles annoy me because, without actually stating it, they mean that there is no performance difference. all things remaining equal.

However your engine can advance timing more on a higher octane fuel and for turbo applications it makes a huge difference. the 3.5 twin turbo in the expedition moves from 375 to 456 when swapping between 87 and 93.

Edit and no I don't mean the Raptor engine, look at the Expedition vs Lincoln outputs on the same engine, same engine different tune one can use 87 the other is 93 only

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Be careful of comparisons like this. Often there are more changes to things like intake, exhaust, different turbo specs, tune, etc. and so forth that might not be mentioned, when the supposedly same motor is used in two different vehicles.

These articles annoy me because, without actually stating it, they mean that there is no performance difference. all things remaining equal.

However your engine can advance timing more on a higher octane fuel and for turbo applications it makes a huge difference. the 3.5 twin turbo in the expedition moves from 375 to 456 when swapping between 87 and 93.

Edit and no I don't mean the Raptor engine, look at the Expedition vs Lincoln outputs on the same engine, same engine different tune one can use 87 the other is 93 only

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport

My last post was in response to the post just before it. I didn't quote him because he was hardly the only person on this thread saying he always buys the highest octane available so I didn't want to single him out.

But there's a difference between required octane level and recommended octane. I have a 2016 Edge with a twin turbo 2.7 V6 as my daily driver. The hp rating on that is 315 hp, and the spec sheet clearly states that number was reached using 93 octane. The required octane level is 87, there is nothing from Ford saying I will get 315 hp if I use 87, only that it is the minimum octane rating the engine was designed to run on.

Now for my 2019 Mustang GT the book says the engine was designed to run on a minimum octane of 87, that is in big bold print, on the next page inside a paragraph there's a note saying using 91 octane will provide a performance increase and that is the recommended octane to use. There is nothing anywhere saying going higher will provide an addition performance increase.

So going back to the article I quoted, using the recommended octane level will provide the most performance out of the engine. Using the minimum required level won't hurt the engine. Paying more for an octane higher than what the manufacture recommends is just making yourself feel good, but adds nothing to the cars performance.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
I should answer in the same ungrateful childish way you answered @sk47. But I won't. FORD calls it ADAPTIVE OCTANE LOGIC. The next time you add fuel, it resets and depending on the octane content, it will use 'xx' timing map.
thanks for your reply.
sorry i triggered your sensibilities. i'll try to be more adult next time i tease someone who quotes my questions, then man'splains at considerable length without touching on any of the questions he quoted.

Sponsored

BULLITT480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
This is a cut and paste from here https://www.jbimportauto.com/blog/does-higher-octane-fuel-boost-your-car-s-performance

Fact vs. Myth

The fact is, the difference in gasoline octane levels has nothing to do with the stored energy in the fuel. Octane ratings pertain only to the pre-ignition (ping) caused by modern high compression motors. Using higher-octane fuel than indicated will add nothing to your vehicle’s performance or its gas mileage. It won’t make it run any smoother either.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that 87 actually has more stored energy per gallon than 93 does. So if you took a gallon of 87 and a gallon of 93 and threw a match into each of them the 87 would make the biggest bang (please don't try that). But because the 93 can be compressed more is why it can yield more power. So using the lowest octane that can withstand the compression your engine has (without the engine detuning itself) would be the right fuel to use.
I guess that is the reason racing gas has a higher octane rating and why E 85 can be tuned for more HP and why nitro methane is used on top fuel. Yea, octane is only a resistance to detonation but higher octane can be tuned for more HP AND higher octane is less likely to burn a piston. Even Ford advertisements stated that Mustangs and other performance models have higher HP with 93 ocane.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Besides the engine being a high performance engine, higher octane usually means a cleaner burn, less carbon build up, increase in gas mileage, and I would assume higher RPM HP achieved due to the slower burn of the higher Octane. Yep, I do and always use the highest pump rated octane each time I filly car.
Higher octane burns slower, And has a better chance of uncomplete burn when you use higher octane than required.
This adds carbon to the piston top and oil. The slow Flame progression needs the engine designed to force it to move the flame front faster. high octane when not needed is sending many unburned hydrocarbons out the tail pipe or the flame front speed is following the piston down the bore instead of high force pushing it down. not ideal for making power.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I guess that is the reason racing gas has a higher octane rating and why E 85 can be tuned for more HP and why nitro methane is used on top fuel. Yea, octane is only a resistance to detonation but higher octane can be tuned for more HP AND higher octane is less likely to burn a piston. Even Ford advertisements stated that Mustangs and other performance models have higher HP with 93 ocane.
Wrong on so many levels. lean mixture burns pistons.
you can be running 112 race gas and burn a piston just as easily as you can on 87 swill if your air /fuel mixture is too lean.
Higher octane means slower burn rate, Allowing you to produce higher cylinder pressure before lighting it off.
I think you are confusing breaking/shatering a piston to burning a hole in one from a lean a/f mixture.
Octane has zero to do with burning a hole in a piston.

CCII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Interesting thread. I have always used branded gas/oil company names for the detergents versus the usually cheaper box store locations.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I assumed that 94 would let timing advance further than 91
Yes it will. 94 seems to be the limit for advance.

I don't know if the Gen 3 recognizes added ethanol and adapts accordingly.
Yes it does. Service manual says up to 15% but I have tested to 50% with no wrench light.
Higher octane burns slower,
Nope it does not. Lots of race fuel companies engineer it to burn faster. This takes advantage of being able to have higher cylinder pressure using less timing advance.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Local cop just told me they don't even stop cars for agressive driving at night anymore. They just let them go.
So much for public safety and improving the quality of life for your citizens.
Sponsored