Sponsored

i can’t be the only one who runs regular in a GT right?

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Yea, I recall driving from Stockton to Los Angeles with my Sister-in-Law, and needing to fill up the tank. For years, I've watched these attendents fill up my mother's tank, so I had the "Rhythm" down, but when it came to me performing the same task, I was a dog in the middle of the highway.
happens with us all. I work in NYC and state, so after that, just got it downpact myself. Also impaitent, so why am I waiting for them to take care of someone else first when I can be in and out
Sponsored

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
if the knock sensors are triggered, it retards timing. does the car wait until its refueled to restore full timing? is there some other interval? is it constantly trying to restore timing? how much more knock with 87 is the car enduring than with 93?
honest questions. not rhetoric.

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
jersey is definitely annoying for it. i pump my own gas at work at our municipal fuel station, it’s not like we hire people to sit out there and attend it for municipal vehicles…but i guess bc it’s government in nj it’s ok, but the public, god forbid they do it!!! ridiculous lol. and i’m sure i will try using 91 once i stop wasting so much gas driving around daily all over just bc she’s brand new lol
beautiful girl btw VB, and way I see it, how “illegal” is it? Doubt ill get arrested if I paid for it, they’ll just be like “Its illegal because…. Because i-its the law!” And chide me at most

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Some info from Sunoco

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech-article/beyond-octane

" Naturally aspirated race motors with large combustion chambers spinning at high RPMs really like high-octane, fast burning fuels. They need the octane to prevent uncontrolled combustion, and they need a fast-burning fuel so that the flame front can span the large bore of the combustion chamber quickly. If you’re not sure which fuel burns faster than others, one indicator is specific gravity. “Lighter” fuels – fuels with a lower specific gravity – tend to burn faster because fast burning hydrocarbons are themselves light. Look for a specific gravity close to 0.70 and you’ll likely find a fast burning fuel. "

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe, it sure as hell is for much more then fuel for your car.
Yea, I recall driving from Stockton to Los Angeles with my Sister-in-Law, and needing to fill up the tank. For years, I've watched these attendents fill up my mother's tank, so I had the "Rhythm" down, but when it came to me performing the same task, I was a dog in the middle of the highway.
Go to college, take a course.

Sponsored

kirk533

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
Before I installed the FP Power Pack which requires 91+, I ran regular all the time. Didn't notice any difference in day to day driving.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Technically any Ferrari can run on 87 too.
Cali. suck they call 91 swill super.
Most of California's 91 is better than most states 93.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Technically any Ferrari can run on 87 too.

I has some 91 octane tested a while back and it tested at 92.2.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
It's a New Jersey thing. Gas attendents pump the gas for you. I believe there's one more state in the country that does not allow Self-Service. All I know is that when I moved from Jersey to California back in 93, two things stood out. A "Slice and a Coke" gave me so many strange looks, and learning to Fill the Tank could be demoralizing.
glad you made it out alive :cwl: we're still behind enemy lines :cwl:
I remember when we could pump our own gas in jersey!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I has some 91 octane tested a while back and it tested at 92.2.
Is there some DIY way to do that? I'm guessing you didn't test a sample for research octane and motor octane and average them.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
if the knock sensors are triggered, it retards timing. does the car wait until its refueled to restore full timing? is there some other interval? is it constantly trying to restore timing? how much more knock with 87 is the car enduring than with 93?
honest questions. not rhetoric.
Hello; Knock is also called pre-ignition. By preignition that means the air fuel mixture explodes before it is supposed happen. In a gasoline engine it can happen at least two ways that I know of. One is by compression ignition in the same manner as a true diesel engine ignites. This is when during the compression stroke the air fuel is squeezed enough to cause heat sufficient to ignite without a spark.
The other way I know of is when there is a carbon build up inside the combustion chamber. A carbon deposit on a valve can retain enough heat to ignite the air -fuel.

Any way it happens is bad. During the compression stroke of a four stroke engine the piston is moving up. If the air -fuel explodes too soon during that up movement that piston will be under pressure from the early explosion and will actually be trying to reverse direction before it is supposed to. That makes it work in opposition of the pistons in other cylinders that will be in the normal power stroke. In effect two or more pistons are fighting each other at the same time. Because the energies of the air-fuel explosion are large this can seriously damage an engine.

An engine designed to run on 93 octane fuel will pre ignite more on 87 octane fuel, especially under load. I get gasoline from the big facility in Knoxville TN. It comes from the Colonial Pipeline. All the refined gas in the pipeline is the same for all the area service stations is my understanding. The individual companies can add chemicals to the stock fuel to raise it's octane rating. Companies can add detergents and other stuff.
An engine designed to run on 87 is not harmed by 93 octane fuel. Just costs more. An engine required to use 93 will be harmed with lower octane fuel over time. You might get by for short time if you do not push too hard. Ford allows for 87 use in the stock engines with the option to use 91 or 93.

The modern engines have a few things going for them to be able to run either 87 or 93 octane fuel. Use to be the octane needs of the engines were set with no options. Now there are the electronic sensors ( knock) and electronic timing run by a computer. Another is direct injection. My take on direct injection is it helps prevent pre-ignition and allows a higher static compression ratio. If I was running 87 octane in a new mustang a potential to be concerned about might be carbon build up in the combustion chamber. Enough from me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
We basically get Cali formula gas in the summer, we voted out emissions tests so the trade off is emissions reducing gas.

Trust me even the 93 sucks.

I can drive a county south and get real gas.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I think he was asking about the strategy used, once knock or knocks are detected how quickly does the computer start to advance the timing back to normal levels, immediately, after x revolutions, after key off on cycle?

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Does it try a bit and wait then try a bit more or just go balls out for full advance and see what happens ?? :D

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Last week they reported a high speed chase that ended with a crash. Reason for the chase.... Burnt out tail light. PD backed the officer.
Maybe Chicago, not my town.
Sponsored