I broke down and bought a spare tire kit-ugh

Bryantbjb12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryant
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT CS, 2021 F350 Tremor
Got a screw in my tire, barely made it to the tire shop. Could just imagine being out of cell range, tire damaged beyond the goop stuff, and being labeled as “Victim #1“ when they find me months later. Hate the idea of having to buy a spare tire.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one no hate, just another tool . Purchased the Automotive Authority spare.

You'll get over it, and thank your lucky stars it ever needed.

Peace of mind worth the price of the ticket.

JDJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS
I was told there is no spare tire kit for 2019 GT/CS because of the calipers. I went to Ford and they put my vin number in the system and said sorry. Have you tried the tire on the front? If it fits what brand and if it is available the product number would help.

Thanks

OP
OP
Bryantbjb12

Bryantbjb12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryant
Vehicle(s)
I was told there is no spare tire kit for 2019 GT/CS because of the calipers. I went to Ford and they put my vin number in the system and said sorry. Have you tried the tire on the front? If it fits what brand and if it is available the product number would help.

Thanks
Good question. The kit arrives today. The only thing they said was that it would not fit those that came stock with 20 inch tires and/or those that came equipped with summer only tires. I’ll check right away and let you know.

OP
OP
Bryantbjb12

Bryantbjb12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryant
Vehicle(s)
Just saw this.

The CS does not have the Brembo Calipers, and came with 18 inch tires. Interesting.

This Ford Spare Tire Kit is designed to fit all 2015+ V6, GT and
EcoBoost Mustangs, excluding models with Brembo Calipers, 20" Wheels or
the 67G Performance Package.

Vehicle Notes: Not Available for vehicles originally equipped with summer tires or 20 Inch Wheels.

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I think - from what I have read - that the spare wheel will fit the EB and GT without PP1 or PP2.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I think the info might be a little misleading. I bought the spare tire kit from Ford. My car came with 19”s. The suspension is really the same I believe if you buy it from the factory with 19” or 20”s..I think the factory 20” cars get the battery firewall K brace added but that doesn’t impact tire fitment. I think the issue is maybe more related o tire circumference size or some sort of variation in handling or braking due to the combination of the larger 20 and the spare together..... by the way, I replaced my 19” with ford 20”, with a factory suspension setup for 19”s and there is no problem, I have used the spare with 20’s for short uses...I suspect you could drive with the spare if your factory setup was non Brembro 20’s.. but yeah the Brembro brakes are a different problem for fitment and compatibility....

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My car had it in it from factory. Didnt dawn on me they didn’t all come with them. Never had a car not come with spare

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
Good question. The kit arrives today. The only thing they said was that it would not fit those that came stock with 20 inch tires and/or those that came equipped with summer only tires. I’ll check right away and let you know.
I guess that rules me out.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
My car had it in it from factory. Didnt dawn on me they didn’t all come with them. Never had a car not come with spare
Lots of cars are coming with a sealant/compressor package in place of a spare tire now. It saves the manufacturer some cost and is a weight savings as well which will help with mpg ratings. Unfortunately the new setup is less than optimal for the consumer.
With 3 cars I've had to use the spare twice in the last 2 years and both times the tire was too damaged for a can of sealant to have worked.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
42 years driving cars I never had to use a spare tire.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of cars are coming with a sealant/compressor package in place of a spare tire now. It saves the manufacturer some cost and is a weight savings as well which will help with mpg ratings. Unfortunately the new setup is less than optimal for the consumer.
With 3 cars I've had to use the spare twice in the last 2 years and both times the tire was too damaged for a can of sealant to have worked.
I was wondering why when I bought my car and posted the little window sticker 2-3 people was asking to buy my spare

insulting though. One guy offered $25 bucks and said you don’t want the weight in back lol

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Got a screw in my tire, barely made it to the tire shop. Could just imagine being out of cell range, tire damaged beyond the goop stuff, and being labeled as “Victim #1“ when they find me months later. Hate the idea of having to buy a spare tire.

That sucks. But, like you said, it could've been a whole lot worse of a situation.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
$25 for your spare? He was certainly looking to take advantage of you! After market set ups are a couple hundred dollars, Ford is more I think. I just ordered a spare jack with the lug wrench for my Edge from a junkyard and it was $60 by itself.
By the way, if anyone is interested, the Edge jack is identical to the one in the mustang. The only difference is that the lug wrench comes in a pouch rather than attaching to the jack. It was also less expensive than ones out of a mustang by $20-$30.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just saw this.

The CS does not have the Brembo Calipers, and came with 18 inch tires. Interesting.

This Ford Spare Tire Kit is designed to fit all 2015+ V6, GT and
EcoBoost Mustangs, excluding models with Brembo Calipers, 20" Wheels or
the 67G Performance Package.

Vehicle Notes: Not Available for vehicles originally equipped with summer tires or 20 Inch Wheels.
The California Special come with 19’ and the factory spare works just fine.
Sponsored