Sponsored

I broke down and bought a spare tire kit-ugh

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Im tempted to hit up the salvage yards and see if I can find a spare halfway cheap. Otherwise I’m just going to throw one of my stock 18’s in the trunk and call it a day.
Sponsored

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
the Steeda jacking rails prevent me from using the factory jack at the front, which would mean having to carry an even heavier and bulkier special jack to be safe.

I actually bought the AA tire kit for my 15' GT/PP a few years ago., as I had previously installed the steeda jacking rails. I transferred both to the GT350. Wow.....I never checked to see if I can use the factory jack that came with the Automotive Authority spare tire kit with the rails in place....thanks for the heads up

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have the Brembo calipers on my Mustang and I went with a Hyundai Equus spare tire/wheel assy. Total cost of the wheel/tire and machining to the wheel was $155.00. Much better than the AA spare.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-tire-assy-for-pp1-with-brembo-brakes.136568/
Sounds like a decent deal, but the extra hassle of getting the wheel machined would be a pain I feel like. Also, with their spare, can you do full speed, highway (safe) driving, etc? I've checked with AA and they've tested it at true highway speeds and it's safe for the car and the driver. I always laugh seeing people with the donuts flying by at 80mph. *facepalm*

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Sounds like a decent deal, but the extra hassle of getting the wheel machined would be a pain I feel like. Also, with their spare, can you do full speed, highway (safe) driving, etc? I've checked with AA and they've tested it at true highway speeds and it's

I went with the Hyundai Equus spare due to cost. The price difference between the route I took and the AA spare, was $254.00. Having the wheel machined was just dropping it off and picking it up at a machinist, no major effort there. I was fortunate that my local Big O tire shop dismounted and remounted the tire for free.

The AA complete kit is $90.00 more for the wrench and jack. I bought a Torin scissor jack and telescoping lug wrench for $37.00 and it all fits fine in the spare wheel location.

I understand that the speed rating of the two are very much different, but this is just to get me home in the event that I have a pucture that is beyond the capabilities of the sealant kit or side wall damage. Your money, your choice.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I went with the Hyundai Equus spare due to cost. The price difference between the route I took and the AA spare, was $254.00. Having the wheel machined was just dropping it off and picking it up at a machinist, no major effort there. I was fortunate that my local Big O tire shop dismounted and remounted the tire for free.

The AA complete kit is $90.00 more for the wrench and jack. I bought a Torin scissor jack and telescoping lug wrench for $37.00 and it all fits fine in the spare wheel location.

I understand that the speed rating of the two are very much different, but this is just to get me home in the event that I have a pucture that is beyond the capabilities of the sealant kit or side wall damage. Your money, your choice.
Yeah, those are all fair points. When I bought the kit, I was headed on 1,000-mile trip each way, so having a spare that can take highway speeds comfortably made sense and I'm sure there were cheaper jacks, I guess I was willing to pay extra for the whole complete deal without much extra. :)

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Im tempted to hit up the salvage yards and see if I can find a spare halfway cheap. Otherwise I’m just going to throw one of my stock 18’s in the trunk and call it a day.
this. i just keep one of my spare sets of wheels ready to use if im going on a longer trip. otherwise..i live on base and am about 3 mins from work. my normal commute doesnt justify it.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
the one thing I was not thrilled with on the AA spare is that it is much larger than my tires. They say you can use it but they are 27.5" in diameter and my PP2 is only 26.2" dia. That is a 4.9% difference. Not sure how much the Torsen diff will like it. Typically you should not go outside 3% circumference difference. They use a 155/70R19. Had they used or offered a 170/55R19, it would be a better fit for me (26.4" dia) They did suggest I could go to a 135/70R19 which is also 26.4" and they could get that tire but it was a severely limited use tire (50 mile lifespan, I think 50 mph max or something like that). A 155/60R19 would also be good. Of course, I am not sure what tire sizes are available and if anyone even makes these sizes.

I will say that my PP2 front tire will fit on the rear it uses a 19x10.5 ET24 tire. I am thinking that I might be able to measure the trunk depth and see what is the widest tire that will fit the tire well and then use a tire calc to determine what tire and wheel to purchase. I am thinking this to get a better sized tire for me and a proper diameter tire.

I am not sure what the wheel specs are on the AA wheel. Being that it comes with a 170/55R19, I would think that they are using a 19x5 wheel.

the other big problem is there is a very limited selection of tires in those small width tires.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I am thinking that I might be able to measure the trunk depth and see what is the widest tire that will fit the tire well and then use a tire calc to determine what tire and wheel to purchase. I am thinking this to get a better sized tire for me and a proper diameter tire.
I would think you could go another inch wider than the depth of the spare tire well without compromising trunk space all that much.

Norm

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Does anyone have the wheel specs on the AA spare?

Would love to know what the wheel width and offset is.

Based on the tire, we can see that it is a 19" diameter wheel.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
the other big problem is there is a very limited selection of tires in those small width tires.
”Big” problem? It’s a spare. What are the odds that you would replace a spare? OK, maybe if you damage it but again what are the odds?

Does anyone have the wheel specs on the AA spare? Would love to know what the wheel width and offset is.
When not give them a call. I’m sure they will be happy to answer your questions.

Keep in mind that AA is offering an aftermarket alternative to a issue that Ford has not addressed. If it floats your boat, buy it. If not, pass.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Does anyone have the wheel specs on the AA spare?

Would love to know what the wheel width and offset is.

Based on the tire, we can see that it is a 19" diameter wheel.
Get in touch with AA's customer service, they are very helpful. [email protected]. I think they responded the same day.

I bought it for my Bullitt, fits in the wheel space in the trunk just so. Haven't tried to put it on yet, but it's supposed to be rated for highway speeds, which to me was a deal breaker (or the most important factory, rather).

Last edited:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
”Big” problem? It’s a spare. What are the odds that you would replace a spare? OK, maybe if you damage it but again what are the odds?

When not give them a call. I’m sure they will be happy to answer your questions.

Keep in mind that AA is offering an aftermarket alternative to a issue that Ford has not addressed. If it floats your boat, buy it. If not, pass.
I was assembling my own - not purchasing AA. That is why I made the limited sizing available. Diameters that match my tires are hard to come by in a highway speed rated tire.

As for replacement, tires do dry rot. I think the average tire only lasts for 6 years or something like that. I tend to keep my cars over 10 years - longer if they behave. Eventually, I will need to find a replacement. Of course, in my case, I wanted to buy a rim and just have a tire shop get me a tire and mount it.

To me, for what they sell, they are overpriced. The tire they have is about $150, give or take. How much can a steel rim be? My aluminum wheels were $220 each. Mount and balance is only $20-40. I would rather have the extra in my pocket and locally sourced if possible. Also, for me, their size is no good. Too large a diameter which is why I was looking to do my own.

As for calling them, I did email and they did give me options on the tire and either they forgot or left out on purpose the wheel specs when I asked for them. I would hate to bother them again. I wonder if they left it out because they do not want others to just go out and buy a steel wheel and have a tire shop mount a tire or just have a tire shop get you the whole thing.

JDJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS
The spare tire kit from Ford is 208.00 and includes the jack and lug nut wrench. It is a 18" inch wheel. My car came with 19" wheels so when I put the spare next to my tires, it is about an inch and one quarter smaller in height. The auto authority tire is a 19" wheel and about the same height, but 400+ just for the tire. Is there anyone else selling a spare with 19" wheel

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
The spare tire kit from Ford is 208.00 and includes the jack and lug nut wrench. It is a 18" inch wheel. My car came with 19" wheels so when I put the spare next to my tires, it is about an inch and one quarter smaller in height. The auto authority tire is a 19" wheel and about the same height, but 400+ just for the tire. Is there anyone else selling a spare with 19" wheel

Do you have the performance package Brembo brakes? If not, I'd just get a steel wheel in the correct bolt pattern and slap a tire on it, sell the Ford spare and call it a day. Or change the aspect ratio of the tire on the spare wheel you currently have and see if you have any options that way, to get the correct diamter.

If you do have Brembo brakes and need a wheel to clear the caliper, the link below is what I did.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-tire-assy-for-pp1-with-brembo-brakes.136568/

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I haven't put my spare next to my 19' CS wheels (255/40) recently but I do not recall the difference in height being that great. Regardless a spare tire is just for temporary use at moderate speeds. If used in this matter the height will not hurt the ride or damage the car in any way.
Sponsored