Sponsored

I bought from a major supplier a set of clear tail lamps.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I bought from a major supplier a set of clear tail lamps. Not cheap. But I thought it was a plug in and play item.. The new tail lights have a completly different connector compared to the OEM connector. Any hints on what to do with my dilemma?
Sponsored

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
If the vendor cannot offer any advice, I’d start with a wiring diagram. That way you can tell how they are supposed to work. Then you can compare to the factory wiring. You may only need different connectors. You could probably find them online somewhere.

OGsmakDadE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber blue GT, 1999 Honda Prelude
Weren’t the clear tails a common item on recent euro spec mustangs? It’s possible the connectors are for those cars

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
There should have been two jumper cables packed in the box. Every set of the tail lights I've ordered has come with them. Dig through the packing. One end of the jumper has the OE connector. The other end plugs to the lamp assy.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I bought from a major supplier a set of clear tail lamps. Not cheap. But I thought it was a plug in and play item.. The new tail lights have a completly different connector compared to the OEM connector. Any hints on what to do with my dilemma?
Can you please tell us who the major supplier is and what light you bought?

Also it is possible the set you received were not new and were modified.

Here is CJ Pony. These are listed as P&P.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/renegad...-pair-north-american-spec-2015-2021/p/TLL128/

More.
https://ffperformance.co/product/vl...oe3Vw_OaLxXxjLOadLU-etmbA2PqVS7IaAlsyEALw_wcB

https://store.ijdmtoy.com/products/...tm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
:crackup: You have to much energy this early sir. :clap:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
You probably bought a set of original Ford export spec tail lights. These have different connectors, different internal electronics and are designed to work with the different BCM that is used on export spec cars. These light units require a number of modifications to completely work in a US spec car. You can get them to semi work by taking apart the connectors and replacing them with the connectors from your US spec lights, but they won't be sequential, blink amber and only in 1 bar.

There are currently Chinese replica 2018 light units on the market (branded Vland for example) that are fully sequential, can be purchased plug and play with the right connectors for either US or export spec cars and are available in red, clear and smoke:

https://www.vlandus.com/collections/ford/products/yab-xmt-2036-521a

The ones that CJ and LMR sell are also replicas, but based on the 2015 style. I'm not familiar with their exact features or manufacturer.

Last edited:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I have smoked Vland tail lights. Never had an issue with them. They have migrated from the Bullitt to the HEP to the Mach 1. They will live on in the GT when it arrives. Ditto the smoked side markers from Diode Dynamics. :clap:

Sponsored
OP
OP
20ducks

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
As it turned out the supplied connectors had euro connector plugged into the correct connectors. The correct connectors were attached to the rear wall out of sight and very difficult to find. I had to detach the non-usable connectors to find that these newly discovered connectors. I went at this in desperation and luck was in on my sided this time. These tested lights are high quality and work perfectly. End of dilemma.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
:sunglasses: I love a happy ending .......... :party: (wipes a tear and sniffles) :facepalm:

:bow: