Sponsored

I am thinking of trading my car in for a new one but...

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

as some of you may know I have had and am having a fair share of issues with my current 2018 GT.
I am torn as I don't have that much confidence in the car, I have been scarred to say the least :)

I am looking into the option of trading it in for a 2019 GT whic are on the lots. I know I will loose money and also it is going to be more expensive for me as the road taxes are 1500 USD more per year for a 19 compared to the one I have now,

However with that said, the 19s that are on the lot do not come with magneride, all export models to europe are at least are PP1 cars similary equipped as a preimuim with 401a.
The reason why they do not come with magneride is due to shortage of the system during production and there would more or less be no cars here if ordered with magneride on the 19-models.
Also the 20-models will be even more de-tuned compared to the US counter parts

My car has the magneride and I do love it during daily driving as it is rather comfortable. However when pushing it it still feels a bit soft (I also have the M-5300-W springs, I know soft springs....).
I am thinking if I get myself a 19 without magneride and throwing on e.g KW Inox V3s on it will I regret it. I might do one or three track days so I am not track junky so to speak.

How do a set of rather good coil overs stack up against Mangeride for daily and spirited drives. Also I guess the coil overs potentially will have some residual value when the day comes.

What do you guys say,
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'd say return your suspension to stock (put the stock springs back on), and just drive your car. And then look into the rear suspension to make the car corner flatter and be more stable. Look at Steeda's Stop the Hop starter kit to effect the changes in the suspension you want. Also make sure that Euro Mustangs come with the K-brace and strut brace on US PP1s.

I went through your threads. Other than the engine, it's seems like rather fixable issues, that once straightened out should be good for the life of the car.

Confidence is largely emotion. Don't let your emotions make decisions for you when it comes to buying and selling cars.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'd say return your suspension to stock (put the stock springs back on), and just drive your car. And then look into the rear suspension to make the car corner flatter and be more stable. Look at Steeda's Stop the Hop starter kit to effect the changes in the suspension you want. Also make sure that Euro Mustangs come with the K-brace and strut brace on US PP1s.

I went through your threads. Other than the engine, it's seems like rather fixable issues, that once straightened out should be good for the life of the car.

Confidence is largely emotion. Don't let your emotions make decisions for you when it comes to buying and selling cars.
I agree with all of this. Don't "trade up."

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Consider that Magnaride shocks are good for about 40,000 miles (this from 5 different owners) and then they run sone $800 each to replace.

I HAVE Magnaride on my 2019 GT, but would likely NOT have opted for them had I known before buying. A good set of Konis are great and if I have to shotgun them anyway, the Konis are WAY cheaper.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have had other cars with magnetic shocks. I made sure not to buy them on my Mustang. When they work right, they are great. But they are expensive, don't last nearly as long as regular shocks and may leak. I replaced them twice on a Lexus in 3 years because they were damaged by bad streets.

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for the inputs.
It's no much about the handling as such, or yes maybe as we are talking about magneride vs. coilovers.

@NoVaGT I totally get what you mean. You know that feeling once your mind is set on something it is almost impossible to get around it. I am on the edge of trading it in for "regular" car or to a newer GT, my wheels are ready to be shipped to a new owner. Feels to me like most of the fun with this specific car is gone. This morning I honestly got heartbroken listening to how the motor sounds. As you may know the car has had multiple panels re-painted(spot painted), I now have new issues where paint on the boot lid is nudging of against the rubber seal to the point that only the primer is left. It seems to never stop if you know I mean.

@MrWolf yeah I am familiar with this kit, however it's not possilbe to get the tune separately. I could get around it by selling the springs and buying the whole kit or go for Steedas or BMRs springs to stiffen things up. With that said though core of problem is not the actual ride, it's my specific car feels like I have no confidence in the driveline nor the handling. The whole experience is clouded, I have a lot of mods, awesome to look at but the whole experience is has a bit of a sour taste to it.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hi

as some of you may know I have had and am having a fair share of issues with my current 2018 GT.
I am torn as I don't have that much confidence in the car, I have been scarred to say the least :)

I am looking into the option of trading it in for a 2019 GT whic are on the lots. I know I will loose money and also it is going to be more expensive for me as the road taxes are 1500 USD more per year for a 19 compared to the one I have now,

However with that said, the 19s that are on the lot do not come with magneride, all export models to europe are at least are PP1 cars similary equipped as a preimuim with 401a.
The reason why they do not come with magneride is due to shortage of the system during production and there would more or less be no cars here if ordered with magneride on the 19-models.
Also the 20-models will be even more de-tuned compared to the US counter parts

My car has the magneride and I do love it during daily driving as it is rather comfortable. However when pushing it it still feels a bit soft (I also have the M-5300-W springs, I know soft springs....).
I am thinking if I get myself a 19 without magneride and throwing on e.g KW Inox V3s on it will I regret it. I might do one or three track days so I am not track junky so to speak.

How do a set of rather good coil overs stack up against Mangeride for daily and spirited drives. Also I guess the coil overs potentially will have some residual value when the day comes.

What do you guys say,
My General rule for life is if it's keeping me up at night do something about it... If you no longer have confidence in the car let it go.

You Will constantly be waiting for the next shoe to drop and will make a mountain out of trivial issues. So just cut your loses and get something you'll be happy in.

The new cars also fix a lot of the issues we've been dealing with for years. At least the one I test drove has a revised telescoping steering rack and much much improved shifter and tranny.

So yeah just trade it in, plus u reset the warranty clock so any problems are fords problems not yours...

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I have had other cars with magnetic shocks. I made sure not to buy them on my Mustang. When they work right, they are great. But they are expensive, don't last nearly as long as regular shocks and may leak. I replaced them twice on a Lexus in 3 years because they were damaged by bad streets.
I don’t know anything about Lexus shocks, I know the Fords are the same as GM made by Delphi and very robust. No moving parts inside them and last much longer then a conventional shock. Most aftermarket shocks state to rebuild between 20k miles to 59k miles and OEM are really done around 100k. “Mag” shocks are known to still be running strong 250-300k miles. Of course when they do go bad it’s more expensive. When I worked at GM I replaced one mag shock the time I was there.. I have no idea how many conventional shocks I replaced.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
As for magnaride vs coilovers I'm firmly in the coilovers camp.

Magnaride is great technology, but I personally want my suspension stupid, and stupid simple. So when theres an issue in 50k miles I can diagnose it and repair it with stupid tools on a driveway...

KW makes some of the best coils on the market and they come with a lifetime warranty... Id take those over magnaride in a heartbeat...

Keep your stock coils, so you can swap them back in while the KWs are being rebuilt. With any shock absorber you are going to blow out seals and need a rebuild thats just a natural part of their lifecycle...

With most adjustable system your lifespan between rebuilds will be signoficantly lower than a non adjustable system... The best you can hope for is about 20k-50k miles... Remember these systems are designed for racing applications not potholes... Once you understand that going in your prepared for what you're getting into.

Magnaride is also an adjustable system... I would suspect you may get longer life out of them than coilovers... BUT if you read your warranty packet shocks and struts are "wear and tear" items so only covered for a short period like 15,000 miles or something... To clear "manufacturer defects"

The fact that you don't have any replacement options but OEM makes that a huge deal breaker... The dealers are going to destroy you on replacement costs...

Just laying out things to consider ultimately its your choice how to spend your money

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I don’t know anything about Lexus shocks, I know the Fords are the same as GM made by Delphi and very robust. No moving parts inside them and last much longer then a conventional shock. Most aftermarket shocks state to rebuild between 20k miles to 59k miles and OEM are really done around 100k. “Mag” shocks are known to still be running strong 250-300k miles. Of course when they do go bad it’s more expensive. When I worked at GM I replaced one mag shock the time I was there.. I have no idea how many conventional shocks I replaced.
All magnetic shocks are GM. My experience is they don't hold up on bad roads or adverse conditions. With warm weather and nice roads they last forever.
Sponsored