Sponsored

I am not going to get the Ford Protect (ESP). Am I crazy?

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Given the AC issues that plague the s550 evaporator, I would in a heartbeat. That goes and the warranty already paid for itself
Yup
Just happened to my friend on their 18 gt350. Repairs for the AC were more then the ESP.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
More than 6 grand?
No, over 3 grand. Took two different repair attempts. First was high pressure line under hood, 2nd was removing dash.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The cost for the warranty I was looking at with Ford depending on where to buy was between $5100 and $6600 for 8 years 100,000
Mine will never hit 36k miles, so the 10 year/36k mile for a couple grand is a no brainer to me.
Yes, this is why I didn' t buy the extended warranty when I owned a GT350. I was putting about 10,000 miles per year on the car and the cost for a higher miles extended warranty seemed too high to be worth it for me.

I think if you don't drive the car very many miles then the cost of adding the warranty doesn't seem bad.

But I put over 30,000 miles on my car in the 3 1/2 years I owned it. I had one of the magneride shocks start leaking fluid was probably the most potentially expensive failure on my 2016 while I owned it. Ford definitely charges a lot for parts and the dealer shop labor time is very expensive.

I miss the car, but my decision was to choose to drive a car with less expensive consumables so I can afford to use it a lot and fix it on my own dime. Best of both worlds is if you can just drive your GT350 a lot and get that enjoyment but also have enough money and/or time and talent to fix whatever fails.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Especially are considered insurance in Florida and insurance is regulated so everyone has to pay the same price which is MSRP.

Lombard Ford is registered to sell in FL and will at least save you the sales tax.
Sounds like a scam, still ;) "Let's call it insurance so it will cost more and we don't have to discount it". I know the "Let's charge what the rest of the country charges to warranty the same physical product so we can save the consumer money and be fair" law was never going to get passed.

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Do you/Are you okay with dropping 20-30k on a motor? If you have the cash in bank account and your wife would be okay with you doing so - carry on.

If not, yes I think you are crazy. This is my 3rd Ford and the warranties have always paid for themselves. I love my GT350, but driving it without the safety net of a warranty would give me anxiety. I prefer having peace and mind.

OP
OP
-RAC-

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I think in most cases I could get the motor rebuilt rather then buy new or am I wrong?

How did the warranty work out for you?

Nice color.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think in most cases I could get the motor rebuilt rather then buy new or am I wrong?

Nice color.
Yes, it would be unusual to require a completely new engine. Especially if the car is mostly used as a daily driver and it isn't hammered a ton on track.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6

Nice color.
.... I'm not sure I'd trust after market spray in liners for the 2018+ cars. What would be the option if there was cylinder wall damage? Over bore for sleeves?

Sponsored

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
In my (friend's) experience back in 2018, very much not the case. The bill they saw was around 24K then, I could easily see that being closer to 30K now. He went through two. Ford gave the local service department strict instructions to not teardown prior to sending out. One was swapped under oil consumption, one was completely locked up. Ford just sent replacements on both.

Maybe they do things different now, but I doubt it.

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
In my (friend's) experience back in 2018, very much not the case. The bill they saw was around 24K then, I could easily see that being closer to 30K now. He went through two. Ford gave the local service department strict instructions to not teardown prior to sending out. One was swapped under oil consumption, one was completely locked up. Ford just sent replacements on both.

Maybe they do things different now, but I doubt it.
You are correct. Had a Gen 2 installed last month. Total bill was 31k, but only paid 200 deductible through ESP. ESP mandated the dealer tear down the motor to point of failure. They would not send out the new motor until pictures were sent of the broken oil pump gear etc. According to the dealer - my new motor has 3/36 and we will NOT have to go through ESP if something is to happen to the new motor - which will quicken the process drastically in the future.

Regarding rebuild I am not sure, but I was never given that option. And to be honest - I wouldn't want it. OPG broke, Service advisor said oil pump housing was worn, #8 rod bearing was worn and #4 cam cap worn. After low oil pressure sensor went on I stopped shortly thereafter but the damage was done I am thinking.

Last edited:

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I never buy an extended warranty. Factory 3/36 b-b and 5/60K powertrain warranty are enough. I put roughly the amount that a extended warranty would cost in the bank for a rainy day and am way ahead.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
You are correct. Had a Gen 2 installed last month. Total bill was 31k, but only paid 200 deductible through ESP. ESP mandated the dealer tear down the motor to point of failure. They would not send out the new motor until pictures were sent of the broken oil pump gear etc. According to the dealer - my new motor has 3/36 and we will NOT have to go through ESP if something is to happen to the new motor - which will quicken the process drastically in the future.

Regarding rebuild I am not sure, but I was never given that option. And to be honest - I wouldn't want it. OPG broke, Service advisor said oil pump housing was worn, #8 rod bearing was worn and #4 cam cap worn. After low oil pressure sensor went on I stopped shortly thereafter but the damage was done I am thinking.
NICE! So glad you got a new Gen 2 covered on the ESP. And you have your OEM warranty for 3/36. Sitting pretty.

cortez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I debated getting an ESP, but did it anyway to protect the electronics and potential A/C issues. Good thing I did because I'm using it for my A/C repairs (2 compressor replacements, hi/low pressure lines, expansion valve, and now (drum roll) replacing the evaporator/condenser); total estimated cost @ dealership is $5-$7K ($100 deductable). in my case the ESP investment has more than paid for itself. needless to say, i'm very worried about the outcome after looking at a picture of the "in-progress repairs".

IMG_20230918_110148.jpg
Sponsored