Hyundai Elantra N Owner has car deregistered for driving in "N" Mode

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Dbag cop. And they wonder why so many have a negative opinion of law enforcement. Could have simply said, hey do me a favor, keep it down a bit. And to be fair, you can’t fix stupid.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Criticizing the driver for making his car loud...when stock? This is a fucking Mustang forum, making them louder is a thing talked about all the time.

My question/issue is how and why was a highway cop able to "de-register" a car on his/her call?
That's my question - if you are cited, you get to have your day in court. You are entitled to Due Process. LE can't simply impose sentencing - that is for the court to do. I also wonder what dept. cited him: CHP, Riverside City Cops, Riverside County Sheriff?

Either way - this is ridiculous and the cop is obviously a dick.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Interesting article pertaining to factory exhaust sound level in "N" track mode (similar to Ford's Active Exhaust capability).

Owner in CA was pulled over for the vehicle being too loud. Owner explains to Officer that it's factory exhaust and was in Hyundai's "N" mode (their "track mode"). Officer tells owner he now has to sue the state of CA and deregisters the vehicle (can't be driven on public roads). Owner is paying on a brand new vehicle he can't legally drive. Hyundai is now actually involved in the case. They have the car and are running tests but have confirmed the car is 100% factory stock as built. The Owner has retained legal representation.

---
Could this now set a precedence for any vehicle equipped with a factory exhaust system where the exhaust mode can be changed and the volume of the exhaust is "legal" per the manufacturer's specs?

Complete story as posted by CarBuzz:
Hyundai Also Wants Answers After Elantra N Owner Banned From Road For Stock Exhaust https://carbuzz.com/news/hyundai-al...ra-n-owner-banned-from-road-for-stock-exhaust

---
Discuss
When I owned a GT350 with active exhaust, I was always careful not to blast loud exhaust noises when a cop was around. I think that "it's stock" is a bad excuse. Loud exhaust is a nuisance. Yes I like the sound of exhaust, but I'm not deaf and I don't want to annoy my neighbors.

And since it's called "race mode", my assumption is that it's intended for off road use.

Am I the only one who finds the idea of a loud Hyundai utterly laughable? Hyundais are the automotive equivalent of woolen knickers. What's the point making them loud? They aren't fooling anyone anyway.
AFAIK you are living in the past and Hyundai makes some quick/decent cars. I wouldn't say they are high quality, but the elantra N is supposed to be very good. It certainly gets great reviews. Ford doesn't make a competing product, which makes me a little sad.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
AFAIK you are living in the past and Hyundai makes some quick/decent cars. I wouldn't say they are high quality, but the elantra N is supposed to be very good. It certainly gets great reviews. Ford doesn't make a competing product, which makes me a little sad.
I'm not saying they can't be quick. They may very well be. But quickness isn't everything. Even a piano pushed down the stairs is quick.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes. But have you seen the specs on the new Ioniq 5? Yes, electric, but super quick. Will spank a stock stang.🙀
Maybe. But it's hideous. I'd rather be slow than look like that. :blush:
Plus, as if being hideous weren't enough, it also gets points deducted for being a Hyundai. 😁

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Owner drove it in track mode. on public roads. AND admitted it. So he is stuck with the ticket. Issue is Cali, had banned sale of any part even if listed as offroad only. All that will come of this is the adjustable mode oem exhausts will be banned in that state, and sadly what cali does many other states follow suit soon after, so even if you don't live in cali. you better care.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Owner drove it in track mode. on public roads. AND admitted it. So he is stuck with the ticket. Issue is Cali, had banned sale of any part even if listed as offroad only. All that will come of this is the adjustable mode oem exhausts will be banned in that state, and sadly what cali does many other states follow suit soon after, so even if you don't live in cali. you better care.
I’ve seen the above comment a few times in this thread.

IF any vehicle has a built in “Track Mode” or “Exhaust Mode” that is legally built into the vehicle, that can be used at ANY TIME the owner has that vehicle on ANY public road - tell me where the Owner is in the wrong?

That’s like buying a stereo system and saying you can’t use the volume knob…. Or buying a toilet and saying you can’t pee standing up…

IMO, if a vehicle is legally built by ANY vehicle manufacturer with XYZ functions, then by all means the Owner can use those features anywhere.

If States don’t agree with what features and how vehicles are currently being built, I’ve seen absolutely NOTHING in the news with States dictating what owners can and can’t do with these vehicles and their as built functions, be it Track Mode or Exhaust Mode.

I mean obviously if someone is using Track Mode, driving like an nutcase and illegally street racing, sure, THAT is of concern and breaking laws. But if the individual is using Track Mode which adjusts engine parameters OR exhaust note, but is just “daily driving it” in that mode by obeying ALL public and State DMV Laws, that Owner isn’t doing anything wrong.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

IF any vehicle has a built in “Track Mode” or “Exhaust Mode” that is legally built into the vehicle, that can be used at ANY TIME the owner has that vehicle on ANY public road - tell me where the Owner is in the wrong?

That’s like buying a stereo system and saying you can’t use the volume knob…. Or buying a toilet and saying you can’t pee standing up…

IMO, if a vehicle is legally built by ANY vehicle manufacturer with XYZ functions, then by all means the Owner can use those features anywhere.

If States don’t agree with what features and how vehicles are currently being built, I’ve seen absolutely NOTHING in the news with States dictating what owners can and can’t do with these vehicles and their as built functions, be it Track Mode or Exhaust Mode.

I mean obviously if someone is using Track Mode, driving like an nutcase and illegally street racing, sure, THAT is of concern and breaking laws. But if the individual is using Track Mode which adjusts engine parameters OR exhaust note, but is just “daily driving it” in that mode by obeying ALL public and State DMV Laws, that Owner isn’t doing anything wrong.
On my 2020 GT with active exhaust, I get a window that pops up center of the dash every time the exhaust goes into track mode. (Either changing the exhaust itself, changing the drive mode to one that uses track exhaust, etc.) Something about referring to the manual for track use, and the manual has a paragraph about it being for track use only. (Don't recall exactly, I ignore the message and haven't looked at that section of the manual since I bought the car.) Track mode probably doesn't meet many states sound laws, so to get away with it, Ford has a disclaimer, don't use it unless you are at a track.

Doug

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete

Sure. But sometimes a bit of common sense prevails. Have you ever turned your amp up to ten ? Yes, the manufacturer made sure it’s there but chances are you won’t leave it there for long. I don’t know how loud the subject car is in track mode but let’s assume the car is legal in all modes. And let’s say the owner is your neighbour who leaves for work at 4:30 am in track mode. Every, single, morning. Nothing illegal with the exhaust but I bet you wouldn’t be stood at your window applauding. So, yes, it’s hard to disagree with your statement regarding the legal aspect. I’m also sure that it won’t be long before additional legislation appears to correct that and all because a few can’t contain themselves. We’ve already got trials running in the UK of drive by noise cameras. Common sense, it’s all it takes but it’s always the few that ***** it up for the rest of us.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Yes. But have you seen the specs on the new Ioniq 5? Yes, electric, but super quick. Will spank a stock stang.🙀
But it's electric... lol

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
But it's electric... lol
Hello; The quick torque from a dead stop is due to the nature of an electric motor. An ICE needs some RPMs to build up torque. I get why the ads and reviews tout that feature. It is about all they have to brag about.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hello; The quick torque from a dead stop is due to the nature of an electric motor. An ICE needs some RPMs to build up torque. I get why the ads and reviews tout that feature. It is about all they have to brag about.
I realize that everyone says what you said about EVs, but it isn't the entire story.

That's what devices like torque converters and clutches do for an ICE. Add lots of torque from a standstill.

The Challenger Hellcat (original version) isn't particularly quick 0-30 on the street. It has too much torque and it overpowers the rear tires unless the driver is really good at launching it.

EVs' advantages are: the weight is low in the car. The weight isn't all in the front. Electric motors can be programmed to react to wheel slippage extremely quickly, so that rather than spinning, the tires stay hooked up.

Too much torque produces slow launches just as surely as not enough torque will.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't care how quick a car is off the line. What actually matters in real traffic is how quick it is from 40 to 60, and from 60 to 80 to 100. Most electrics fall miserably short in that area.

The case in question is a matter of pure, unadulterated stupidity. You must be extremely dumb to tell the cop about the track mode, and that you were using it. But then, what else could we expect from someone who buys and drives a loud Hyundai?

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP

TRACK MODE even JUST the exhaust. Even in the mustang, gives you a warning to read the manual. why, because the louder exhaust maybe louder than your ares, db limits. or a tracks db limits.
When you put it in track mode, and click ok on the screen you are acknowledging that you understand this, AND read the owners manual about this.
Get a ticket in track mode, it is on you.
The fact that cali. has laws on the books about cutout or modd'd exhaust on emission controlled vehicles, is all they will need to say, to force the oem's to lock that option out of any vehicles sold or used in the state of cali. AND SADLY. many other states follow cali. lead and soon will do the same.
THERE IS A REASON they labeled that setting "TRACK" mode and not cruise in/show mode.
The driver putting in it exhaust track mode does so at his/her OWN risk of getting a ticket.
Problem is. Cali . don't care, and will ban active exhaust.
OR REQUIRE all modes to meet legal sound level limits.
That will take track mode off the table/menu.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Am I the only one who finds the idea of a loud Hyundai utterly laughable? Hyundais are the automotive equivalent of woolen knickers. What's the point making them loud? They aren't fooling anyone anyway.
I hate to be that guy, but the Elantra N is pretty cool. It's one of the more enjoyable 2L turbos out there. Albert Biermann was the head of that N program for a few years now and that was one of his last projects before he retired. It's ugly as sin, and I'd rather have my Mustang, but it's pretty damn entertaining for a Hyundai lol
Sponsored