Sponsored

HVAC and stereo controls have no power

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
After installing my turbo kit, my stereo and HVAC has no power. The stereo screen powers on and I can control volume with steering wheel only. The volume and tune buttons do not work. None of the heated/cooled seat buttons work, AC and Heat does not work, toggles for drive mode and steering do not work, and also the backup camera does not appear. Only the start button and hazard toggle has power. None of the buttons even light up. I do have a CEL for HVAC control module cannot communicate. But I don't believe the module is bad. Also, I read that when the HVAC module loses connection, the car defaults to low heat and that is what is happening. The fan is blowing heat on low so it's getting hot now that it's summer.

Obviously, I thought it was a fuse. But I checked all fuses and they are all good. Does anyone have any idea where else I should start looking? Does anyone know where the HVAC control module is or how to test it? I'm going to test all the wires for power to the face plate and see if any have power.

This is the last issue I have to fix, then my car will be perfect. Twin turbos on e85 are wicked. I have full suspension and drive train upgrades. Exedy stage 3 clutch so I'm ready to drop the hammer and try to run 9's. But I need AC now that summer is here.

Thanks in advance for all the great help.
Sponsored

OP
OP

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Come on guys, somebody has to know something about how HVAC and stereo works. lol. I know you are out there.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Have you tried the go-to-solution for nearly anything electronic... hard re-boot by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds?

OP
OP

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried the go-to-solution for nearly anything electronic... hard re-boot by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds?
Yep, I've had the battery disconnected for a couple days. I even replaced the battery.

Something has to control power to the HVAC and stereo face plate, just not sure where it is.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Perhaps someone with access to the shop manuals can provide a system schematic for the HVAC module and you can verify it is getting power. Did you check fuses under the hood as well as at the smart junction box?

Sponsored

OP
OP

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps someone with access to the shop manuals can provide a system schematic for the HVAC module and you can verify it is getting power. Did you check fuses under the hood as well as at the smart junction box?
Yeah man, if I can get a wiring diagram of the HVAC control module running to the infotainment face plate would be extremely helpful.

Scrapay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost premium
Just happen to me. So I took it to the shop and they pulled a loss wire and then reconnected it and it started all working again. so check all the wires. Didn’t specify what wire. Got to pull off head frame with the controls and all the wires behind that. That’s all I really know. Hope this helps anyone else that comes along this.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Possibly one of the Molex connectors for the HVAC that plugs into the radio faceplate came loose. Easy fix.

Oh, and sometimes a fuse can look not blown but it is. This has happened to me several times. When in doubt, replace the $.25 fuse.

MegaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT A10 Base
Possibly one of the Molex connectors for the HVAC that plugs into the radio faceplate came loose. Easy fix.

Oh, and sometimes a fuse can look not blown but it is. This has happened to me several times. When in doubt, replace the $.25 fuse.
Likely what Mike said, also on the Molex, the connector can be tight but have one or more loose pins that aren't seating. Tug on every wire to make sure all the pins are seated.

This is the manual control one from 2018 manual, let me know if you have the premium with auto controls, couldnt tell from your Vehicle(s) info

1603343408011.png

Last edited:

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
When you say "TurboKit", does that mean a Metra-Kit?
With this it might be possible to plug in the plugs into the wrong location. Happened to me once and had the same symptoms.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
When you say "TurboKit", does that mean a Metra-Kit?
With this it might be possible to plug in the plugs into the wrong location. Happened to me once and had the same symptoms.
He said his twin turbos on E85 are whicked!

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
yeah... now i've read it. Was misguided as Metra calls their kits for the Mustang TurboTouch i think.

gtv6capri

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0, 1972 Ford Capri GT V6
H everyone, Hey Don did you fix this problem? Im having the same trouble with my radio/ac/steering etc panels under the screen

balonzo99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
H everyone, Hey Don did you fix this problem? Im having the same trouble with my radio/ac/steering etc panels under the screen
Did you ever figure out this problem? This just happened to my 2017 gt. 4” radio

Coyotekevv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kev
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Did you find the issue? Currently dealing with this now after I had to jump start my car
Sponsored