Sponsored

Humming noise on rear left wheel (accident)

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi all,

A 92 year old man with suspended license since the year 1971 ran into me on the driver side rear quarter panel. To make a long story short, I picked up my car from the dealer all repaired from the accident but I started noticing a humming from the left (accident side) rear wheel when the car reaches 50 MPH. The car is now back to the dealer but I am fighting them because they are saying and I quote "this humming noise is coming from your tire being abused by burning out and racing the car" yeah I don't believe them, I haven't abused the car and my car only has 4000 miles on it, in addition the noise was not there before the accident (unless I never noticed it until I was paranoid after the accident, which I highly doubt) ... so my questions to you guys... most likely the wheel bearing went bad because of the impact to the wheel/rim correct? The wheel was sent out to a professional for "repairs" that is what the dear is saying. I know it is hard to bent the pp1 wheels and the car runs smooth, no vibration, however the humming is there. I am thinking it has to be a wheel bearing but wanted to ask you guys. I read that the wheel bearings on the mustangs are weak. What do you guys think?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Deleted member

Most likely the rear hub/ wheel bearing. Nothing else on the side is really gonna make a humming noise. Brake or tire rub you would definitely feel vibrations.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
At worst, if the rear axle on the accident side was impacted hard enough, it could have damaged something internally within the rear differential. This of course would fall under the “sight unseen” when they looked over the car to draw up the damage repair estimates for visible external damages.

Did they do any work with the rear diff?

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Contact your insurance and take it up with the insurance adjuster. That is your best route. I am assuming it was on you since he was suspended and likely uninsured.

OP
OP
csolas

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
At worst, if the rear axle on the accident side was impacted hard enough, it could have damaged something internally within the rear differential. This of course would fall under the “sight unseen” when they looked over the car to draw up the damage repair estimates for visible external damages.

Did they do any work with the rear diff?
No work on the rear diff, but the humming I hear is from the left side wheel.

OP
OP
csolas

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Contact your insurance and take it up with the insurance adjuster. That is your best route. I am assuming it was on you since he was suspended and likely uninsured.
I cant wait for this ordeal to be over :( I was lucky that somehow the guy was covered by the wife's insurance (GEICO) however the insurance adjuster is being very stingy

Deleted member 35786

Rotate your wheels and test drive it. Or install your spare tire if you have one. That will eliminate the wheel/tire possibility.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I cant wait for this ordeal to be over :( I was lucky that somehow the guy was covered by the wife's insurance (GEICO) however the insurance adjuster is being very stingy
Then you notify your insurer of what is going on and let them go to work for you. They don't want to end up going out of pocket to make this right.

I had a stingy situation with Allstate after my wife was t-boned years ago. When it came to settling she and I figured up what was a VERY fair estimate of $1500 as we were asked to do by the insurance adjuster. The Allstate adjuster countered with $750. I kindly told her that we had been more than fair in our assessment for pain and suffering and lost time from work over the ordeal (their insured ran a red light and totaled my wifes car). I explained that if Allstate wished to pursue this course of action, I would contact the hungriest, greediest, injury law firm in the state and let them go after Allstate. I then told her that I would sign an agreement with the law firm that EVERYTHING they won over the $1500 dollars they could keep or donate to charity. All we wanted was $1500. The next day I received a phone call that a check for $1500 was in the mail.

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
The adjuster is supposed to allow for damages found after the initial estimate. It is a supplement to the original estimate. I have dealt with Geico and had things added that the shop found later on. I did have a good adjuster though. Wasn't stingy at all with the repairs.

OP
OP
csolas

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thank you guys!

OP
OP
csolas

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Update: wheel bearing replaced, noise is gone!!
Sponsored