Sponsored

Reactions: ssb

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Cadogan

Cadogan is an over the top bogan. But the 2 star rating is a kick in the guts for the Pony. What annoys me more than the 2 star rating on my pony, is not having a digital speedo, a useless left rear vision mirror, terrible low beam illumination and no front parking sensors on a car that 's hard to see the front on. Also, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, collision/pedestrian mitigation should be optional if not standard on a car at this level in 2017.

Reactions: PKs

Azairious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 SSZ Ute (current), 2017 Race Red GT (Current)
Cadogan is an over the top bogan. But the 2 star rating is a kick in the guts for the Pony. What annoys me more than the 2 star rating on my pony, is not having a digital speedo, a useless left rear vision mirror, terrible low beam illumination and no front parking sensors on a car that 's hard to see the front on. Also, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, collision/pedestrian mitigation should be optional if not standard on a car at this level in 2017.
i dont have a problem with any of the mirrors on mine, digital speedo would be nice, havn't had a problem with the lights either, if you need parking sensors you shouldn't be driving (well that's my belief anyway, same with rear camera) i havn't even used the normal cruise on mine, its just fun to give it a boot full and hear that nice rumble. and it does have pedestrian mitigation with impact sensors and active bonnet. but hey i'll let people who want those things spend the extra 70 odd grand on an M3 or whatever they like. i'm happy with my pony.

not to mention the 2 star is on the new 8.3 testing protocol. the mustang scored comparable with the WRX in all impact tests and the WRX is a 5 star car in the 8.2. it's just because of the lack of nanny driving features. we really are becoming a society of the survival of the un-fittest.

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
Welcome to the forum Mick :thumbsup:

For me the lack of a digitsl speedo is no bigie, the LH mirror is fine, no probs with the low beam illumination, and we had parking sensors installed by our dealer at PD.

I love our PPONY :D

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
i love my pony. But it's not a daily driver. So i can put up with most of those issues. Except for the poor low beam on unlit country roads. You must be very tall and have your seat far back to see out of the left mirror. Because if your seat is not right back, the mirror doesn't adjust in far enough. This has been mentioned by others to. Just because i like the convenience of front sensors, doesn't mean anything. Hey, everybody's different.

Sponsored

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
i love my pony. But it's not a daily driver. So i can put up with most of those issues. Except for the poor low beam on unlit country roads. You must be very tall and have your seat far back to see out of the left mirror. Because if your seat is not right back, the mirror doesn't adjust in far enough. This has been mentioned by others to. Just because i like the convenience of front sensors, doesn't mean anything. Hey, everybody's different.
Good points Mick,

yes I'm 6'4 and I have my seat pretty well all the way back :thumbsup:

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
i am 5'11" and a bit and the mirror is just ok. My better half is 5'3" and she has no hope of getting a descent view from it, with the seat further forward. My car is early build. So maybe later cars are different? But she does get a buzz driving it.:) As far as the low beam goes, even at its highest level adjustment, it still lacks distance and has an abrupt cut of. Even the brightness could be better. In fact, U.S ponys get 6000k lights v our 4000k units. High beam is as good as most i have come across though. A nice big clear digital speedo is nearly a must in over policed Victoria. Gee, sorry for moving away from the original 2 star subject.:ninja:

whtbt1.88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 fastback
The only thing that I would want as an option would be the 5.2 Voodoo motor.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
I'm hearin ya. 5.2 is an awesome engine. But needs revs and lots of them to produce power. I would love to see a 6-7litre donk with one cam that can easily be modded to 400+kw with great low down torque, without needing S/C or super high revs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Azairious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hearin ya. 5.2 is an awesome engine. But needs revs and lots of them to produce power. I would love to see a 6-7litre donk with one cam that can easily be modded to 400+kw with great low down torque, without needing S/C or super high revs.
so... an LS block then??? lol, i have one of them in my SSZ ute, oh god i still have nightmares about that cam change after a lifter spun, heck to do it properly it's a full head-off operation. the voodoo block is actually really amazing in the torque curve, sure it needs to stay above 3.2k but if you're not at the redline, you're not driving :D. and god that flat-plane crank sound is the stuff of dreams. for a weekend blast car the 5.2 would be great, in a daily i dont know. but hey, this is why i have cars from both teams.

ozhood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 (Ordered), FG XR6, Ford Territory
Spotted this post on Facebook. I think JB would have a bit more of an idea than Cadogan!

John Bowe
1 hr
There's a bit of misinformation getting around in social media land regarding the Mustang Euro NCAP testing, plus a few of you have asked my opinion here on Facebook.
I'm not a spokesperson for Ford, but I do understand the business well enough to answer/respond to the question.
So here goes.
Firstly, testing is not mandatory. In fact, the researchers among you might like to compile a list of cars that have NOT been tested. You'll be surprised! Expensive Euro sports cars would dominate the list. But does that mean they're not safe?? No, not in the slightest. Generally, the more expensive the vehicle, the less likely they are to be tested.
Getting back to the Mustang test, with the new testing regulations introduced only recently, there are 4 categories that are somewhat skewed towards family passenger/SUV cars.
One of the categories is Driver Safety Assist. This is where the Mustang scored a 2 rating.
In the other 3 categories Mustang scored up to 5 (out of 5). So you see, it's dangerous to look at part of the result in isolation (or believe the news headlines only). You need to know the whole story.
The Mustang does not have Lane Departure Warning, nor Auto Emergency Braking, two of the components on the checklist in the 'Safety Assist' category. Hence the rating of 2 stars for Active Safety Assist.
The 2 star result in this category determined the overall rating. The Ford Mustang is the first car of its type (that is, it’s the first sports car) to be tested to the new regulations. There are plenty of expensive sports cars coming out of Europe that also don’t have features like Auto Emergency Braking and Lane Departure Warning.
I've read balanced reports and also read some very unbalanced/biased reports, plus I've driven quite a lot of Mustangs since their release, and was even at Sandown just last Saturday with over 30 Mustang owners.
After all of that there is no question in my mind whether the Mustang drives, stops and handles really well.
Would I buy one based on what we all know? I most certainly would!
If you were planning to buy one, go for it. The feedback from owners I've met is that the Mustang is well beyond their expectations.
I hope that clears it up!
Cheers JB​

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White EB Black Roof and Stripes
Like they said, haters gonna hate. They won't listen to reasons. All they see is 2 star and stops there. I don't think any of us who has one would have even thought about ANCAP ratings when we purchased the car. It still does not change the fact that it's a fantastic car. Lane Departure is a stupidly annoying feature that is only good if you're a shit driver that don't pay enough attention to the road.

Azairious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well to be fair, the mustang is a drivers car, not an appliance to get from point A to Point B. drivers who buy a car for an appliance probably have no interest in cars, therefore no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, you sure as hell wont be good at it now will you?
i'd like to believe that those of us who have one, or any decent performance car, has some sense, i used to have an old mitsubishi magna and i drove that thing like an idiot, but since i've had V8's i've not had that urge to drive like a moron with something to prove. i dont know, maybe i'm just getting old.
Sponsored

Reactions: Zee