Sponsored

HR912 '16 track pack to '17 R (yet another story)

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well, HR912 finally arrived, it has been quite the journey, one I'll try to convey as best I can.

The backstory: I set out to find a non-R track package car or hopefully an unbuilt allocation. After being jerked around by the local dealers, lied to, placed in bidding wars, and thinking I had a msrp deal on a '17 in the spring of '16, to being hung out to dry, my 350 journey proved to be off to a difficult start. A last ditch effort landed me a last minute allocation and I ordered and purchased a '16 track pack from an out of state dealer in April of 2016. I was extremely happy to have found the allocation that I could order to my spec and more importantly for my single income.. at msrp, the only downside was by this time I had already fell in love with lightning blue on the '17 but white was also a color I really liked on the 350, so white it was, with the track package and the order was placed. I picked up the car having had ppf installed and ready for my 3hr trip home. I fell in love immediately with the car, it was exactly as I had hoped it would be and I found myself consumed with gaining more knowledge here on the forums and in fb groups. In the back of my mind I had a strong desire for an R, it was essentially most of the way to where I wanted my track package car to end up. I asked my dealer who had sold an early R for 5k over and he stated that was likely a 1 time deal, so I pretty much pushed that dream to a far off back burner and focused on the 350.

Fast forward to last fall, I was chatting with an R owner who had received and msrp deal and ironically came to find out that our cars were built 3 cars apart by vin and that I had pictures of the car from flatrock that were coincidentally posted on 6g, this confirmed that it was indeed my track pack and their car in the pictures. We continued to network and they checked with their dealer on a '17. The dealer stated that they currently didn't have an allocation and if they did a customer that had their 350 come in damaged would be getting the car. I continued to search off and on for the entire winter and into the spring. Surfing fb late one evening I saw a post of gentleman saying his dealer could get an R for msrp. Figuring it would be like most of my other futile attempts I picked up the phone, dialing the salesperson at 10pm only to find out it was the dealer my friend had bought their R from that I had tried to get an R from previously. I explained to them that if they could get an R at msrp I was in, but from my understanding it was spoken for. They called back the next morning and said that they did not have an allocation but if they had a firm deal they felt confident they could get one. A firm deal was a 10k dollar deposit on what was essentially a "potential" allocation but it was at msrp, we worked a deal on my 350 and I trailered it down to the dealer on Memorial Day, where I traded-in my beloved track package and used equity to place the down payment. It was agreed that I would get my money back if the allocation was not awarded to them, I would walk with cash and no 350.. Needless to say the month of June was very stressful and I was working on a backup plan and calling dealers just to try and get some type of lead on another R. Communication with the owner and sales manager was a constant and it was really a 50/50 shot up until the final week of June, that's when I was told 50/50 chance then "it's looking better" (maybe 70/30? lol). Meanwhile everyone on the forums and fb groups (and other dealers) had been speculating that all the allocations were out to dealers and I started feeling like I was screwed. July 3rd at 11am I received a voicemail and text stating that I got the allocation and my order was going to be built. I can't lie I ran up and down the hall like a little kid, it was finally gonna happen.. I got my R.

The car was built on 9/13 and landed at the dealer on the 22nd and I picked her up on the 23rd. It was and still is hard for me to fully grasp that I actually have the car. I'm just an average guy on single income that was able to work his ass off the opportunity to purchase his dream car and got very lucky to have everything work out. Lot's of luck, right place, right time, right price.
Here are a few shots I have of the car, [MENTION=17459]altjxx[/MENTION] happened to be in town the night I brought it home and snapped a couple of freehanded shots using the lights from a local building.. I think he did a great job. I will get some daytime pics soon and post them here. Thanks for taking the time to read my story, I absolutely love this car and it's exactly what I had hoped it would be. Both are great cars and I'm lucky I've been able to own both and hope those who really want an R are able to find the car for them.

Good luck,

Andrew
37300821591_b2ba572099_c.jpg
455A2586 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

37300830561_57645c531e_c.jpg
455A2572 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

37045091490_52dc254b83_c.jpg
455A2590 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

36591153474_f81f010a72_c.jpg
455A2736 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

37045048530_29f8baffd9_c.jpg
455A2647 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

37044990000_665afb9915_c.jpg
455A2723 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

37300711031_b501b15426_c.jpg
455A2746 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

37253473716_ca843bb5e1_c.jpg
455A2685 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

36591188144_1ab7e2db03_c.jpg
455A2627 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

37045068700_50cd916084_c.jpg
455A2613 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr

37253431386_c5268c9cb6_c.jpg
455A2739 by Vonahi Media,
on Flickr
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yee fricin haw!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Beautiful car.

That 2nd to last photo....where was that shot?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If I could have one more color, but alas...... only so many stables in the garage.

Man, a beautiful car!

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Beautiful car.

That 2nd to last photo....where was that shot?
[MENTION=21464]Donkey[/MENTION] mission accomplished! Lol.

[MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION] I did some photoshop work on that one just to explore something a little different, but it was one of the side shots I took at the same location and same time (at night).

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Looks solid - grats!

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Congrats, brother, on finally becoming a member in club R. I would not have had the balls to trade my track pack in on a potential allocation that wasn't a 100% sure thing. This has to be one of my favorite R acquisition kill stories. Beautiful color combo.

Sponsored

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Love love love the color!

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
It's beautiful, congratulations!

OP
OP
Donkey

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Of note:
I only have about 2xx miles on the car, as last weekend was my only chance to drive it. I have read and watched most reviews of the R and 350, I've exhausted youtube and bought every magazine the 350 or the R have been in. I'll break my initial thoughts down here. Some of it has already been said, some of it maybe not..

1)panel gaps were excellent (had a friend watch over it in flatrock and they did their part) Ford also now puts plastic on the hood in shipping to keep the wiper arm from smacking the hood. I took delivery of it dirty and spoke with the detail guys who were all stoked that a young, working class guy was able to get an R, they hand washed with a new microfiber mit and didn't remove any interior plastic nor did they touch the stripes. Fit and finish on this one is a Ford 10/10 my last one was an 7/10 due to a scratch on the door, gouge on the wheel and odd bumper molding issue (not just the gap)

2)Steering: The car doesn't tramline as much as I anticipated and the biggest thing I noticed was the return to center steering, if you turn left and turn right you can feel the extra tire/softer tire. When it hits bumps it sometimes likes to change direction but this isn't what I consider tramlining.

3)Ride: noticeably firmer than the track pack, now my ass leaves the seat on a few bumps on the local expressway, whereas the track pack only lightened the load on the seat over the bumps. It would definitely be easier to live with the non-R for daily commuting or longer trips.. neither of which this car will be used for.

4)noise: It's louder without the resonators (duh) but the raspiness (is that a word?) isn't as bad inside as I figured it might be. I still plan to go arh catback then longtubes after I'm sure the bullet in this car is healthy. I am still in break-in so I may add more to this later after I start to let her eat.

5)overall summation: I had planned to upgrade my track pack with 19x11 forgelines, rear seat delete, exhaust, more aero (wasn't sure on how aggressive that was going to be) but didn't want to "clone" an R. I always felt that each car needed to keep it's identity and that when I pulled up next to an R I didn't want them thinking I was trying to have something I didn't. Instead I wanted us both to think "damn that looks good" and have our own unique vehicles. Something the mustang world in general has always struggled with as affordable aftermarket wheels are usually Ford clones, which sucks imho. This isn't meant to offend the guy with his carbon wing, R splitter and 6gr's and seat delete. These are just my opinions and they are like a$$holes.
I had just received my quote from forgeline and was about to pull the trigger when this whole deal started.. That was going to be my official "give up on the R dream" turning point.

My unprofessional advice is if you want an R and can afford it, absolutely do it. If you cannot and you can afford to modify your non-R to suit you needs.. absolutely do it. This will leave you some open windows as to how you want to cater the car anyway, if you want more grip, throw on more tire and better wheels, if you want more power then long tubes and tune or beyond with FI. I DO NOT think the R is a totally different car, as I believe was stated in a motor trend video. It is different, yes, it has certain feel leads me to believe there has to be differences in bushings, and calibrations (which we know is true) to change the way the car behaves. But I am not drinking the R is it's own car Kool-Aid, as I feel a non-R with forgelines a good tire, and either the fp springs or R springs and bars would be hard to discern the difference in by your average Joe on tracks where aerodynamics aren't big factors. My friend has a non-R he plans to modify so hopefully I can prove that out to myself in the future. In the end I'm grateful to have this car and wont ever forget what it took to get it, with help from friends, stress, and lots of luck.

Congrats, brother, on finally becoming a member in club R. I would not have had the balls to trade my track pack in on a potential allocation that wasn't a 100% sure thing. This has to be one of my favorite R acquisition kill stories. Beautiful color combo.
Thanks man, I had some faith restored in my trust in dealerships with this purchase. The owner said "I know it's hard to trust dealerships, but I promise I'm doing everything I can to get you this vehicle, you have my word." I cant say that I've ever seen let much less spoken to the owner of any other dealership I've dealt with. They have a no adm policy and that speaks volumes to me. As I told you via pm there is a local dealer to me that sold a race red R just about a month ago for $116k.. which to me is absurd.
Sponsored