Sponsored

HP GT500 vs. Z51 C8 at VIR: MotorTrend/Randy Pobst

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Apologies if this has been posted already. Great short little track battle with a base GT500.

Edit: Appears to be a CFTP in the opening clips while passing clips show a HP car if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I'm just blind today. My bad for the confusion. At 1:17 you can clearly see the "swing" on the Shelby.

Sponsored

Last edited:

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Apologies if this has been posted already. Great short little track battle with a base GT500.

Edit: Appears to be a CFTP in the opening clips while passing clips show a HP car if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I'm just blind today. My bad for the confusion. At 1:17 you can clearly see the "swing" on the Shelby.

The CFTP car was 4 or 5 seconds faster if I recall.

OP
OP
Skwibbs

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The CFTP car was 4 or 5 seconds faster if I recall.
That's what I remember reading about too. And the ZLE was like 1.5-2 seconds faster than that base GT500, around there. Still cool to see it in video, not a lot of people are MT subscribers and this one is public. The Shelby just absolutely eats those straight aways and carries the momentum surprisingly well into the corners. I'm sure that's where the CFTP gains so much time.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Speaking of the Snack Pack, did y'all see that they used one in their promo video shots? Makes you wonder why they didn't compare it, too. Then again, perhaps they bought the footage from FOMOCO.

upload_2020-8-8_19-12-37.png

OP
OP
Skwibbs

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of the Snack Pack, did y'all see that they used one in their promo video shots? Makes you wonder why they didn't compare it, too. Then again, perhaps they bought the footage from FOMOCO.

upload_2020-8-8_19-12-37.png

It is rather rare to see any marketing material whatsoever of a non-CFTP car, they looove to push that car as if it's the only one that exists. Beautiful shot though...

Seems like the full video is probably featuring both cars and they just cut it up to post on YT using the same intro shots.

Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
That's what I remember reading about too. And the ZLE was like 1.5-2 seconds faster than that base GT500, around there. Still cool to see it in video, not a lot of people are MT subscribers and this one is public. The Shelby just absolutely eats those straight aways and carries the momentum surprisingly well into the corners. I'm sure that's where the CFTP gains so much time.
Very cool to see the side by side overlay on the track. I bet a ZLE vs GT500 CFTP would look VERY similar to the C8 vs GT500. CFTP car just a tad slower through the turns, but reels it back in for the win in the straights.

Wish someone would take the CFTP car to the ring. Would likely be a sub 7:10 minute lap.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Z: I knew next to nothing about the Ring so I let Mr. G. tell me about it. It's quite something but I noticed in the records section under "Sports Cars,"

Lap time Vehicle Driver Date
6:44.749 Porsche GT2 RS MR Lars Kern 25.10.2018

I wonder what one of the new girls would do? :-)

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Z: I knew next to nothing about the Ring so I let Mr. G. tell me about it. It's quite something but I noticed in the records section under "Sports Cars,"

Lap time Vehicle Driver Date
6:44.749 Porsche GT2 RS MR Lars Kern 25.10.2018

I wonder what one of the new girls would do? :-)
The Ring is the ultimate test of a sports car in my opinion.

After I said sub 7:10, I realized the viper acr did a 7:01. With the straight line speed of the GT500, it MIGHT be capable of sub 7 minutes. It just blows my mind we're talking about a damn mustang! Similar to how I felt when I first heard of a camaro doing a 7:16.

If you're interested, just watch the ZLE video to imagine how it might go (true violence):

I can imagine similar speeds through the turns with 10 to 30 mph higher in the long straights for the CFTP car.

OP
OP
Skwibbs

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ring is the ultimate test of a sports car in my opinion.

After I said sub 7:10, I realized the viper acr did a 7:01. With the straight line speed of the GT500, it MIGHT be capable of sub 7 minutes. It just blows my mind we're talking about a damn mustang! Similar to how I felt when I first heard of a camaro doing a 7:16.

If you're interested, just watch the ZLE video to imagine how it might go (true violence):

I can imagine similar speeds through the turns with 10 to 30 mph higher in the long straights for the CFTP car.
Saw that video when it came out, very impressive. I wonder what the Germans thought of that. As far as I know from personal experience, most of them looove American sports cars.

Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116

Goodness gracious. That was just a YT video and my arms hurt from gripping the rests on my computer chair. It's a good time to be a car enthusiast.

OP
OP
Skwibbs

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the TRACK PACK would destroy the zl1,1le on the track
I tend to agree unless the track is super tight and technical, and even then I'd probably bet on the CFTP. Wonder if they'll release that video for comparison reasons.

And yeah, just waiting for someone to do a fair ZLE auto vs CFTP track test. Not on melted tires cough cough Throttle House, as much as I love those guys.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I tend to agree unless the track is super tight and technical, and even then I'd probably bet on the CFTP. Wonder if they'll release that video for comparison reasons.

And yeah, just waiting for someone to do a fair ZLE auto vs CFTP track test. Not on melted tires cough cough Throttle House, as much as I love those guys.
Me too! I get that they always compare the C8 to the 500 because they are both brand new, but Ford built the GT500 to beat the ZL1. Would like to see MANY more comparisons between those two. The C8 was built to beat the 911S, plain and simple.

Hate being stuck with speculation about 500s and ZL1s!!

For me, I'm still deciding if I'll move from a ZLE to a CFTP car before going to a C8 Z06 after they've worked out the kinks by 2023 or so. If it's close, I'll just stick with the ZLE and admire the GT500. If the CFTP car "destroys" a ZLE, then I'm in!

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10

Something else I'll add: I'm new to heavy sports cars with the ZLE (tracked a lotus elise and then a C6 Z06 before the camaro) and I'm learning the tires do not last long. I've done two days of time trials driving hard with the ZLE track alignment and the front tires are corded!

If there's going to be a fair comparison, both cars really do need new sets of tires.

Besides the magazine and YouTube road course comparisons, I'm primarily looking forward to running with other GT500s in these events and getting to see first hand the differences between the cars as well as talking to the owners in person.
Sponsored