Sponsored

How would you rate the Borla S-type Catback on the loud scale?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The Atak with headers is super loud. If you're as loud as that with stock manifolds, I think something might be off with your setup. :)
I've thought that too or the 2.5" piping compared to the 3" on the 18ups is why mine sounds so much louder. Not sure. I even got back under the car after I fired it up the first time to make sure I got the right mufflers! I would have loved to compare it to another 18up but is so modified now it wouldn't be an accurate comparison.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
The touring is a little louder than stock if I remember correctly. It has a resonator instead of an X pipe, but it is a smaller and better flowing resonator than the stock suitcase.
Surprisingly I did back to back same day dyno runs before and after swapping the OEM resonator for an FRPP X-pipe and there was zero gain. Apparently the OEM unit flows just fine.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Surprisingly I did back to back same day dyno runs before and after swapping the OEM resonator for an FRPP X-pipe and there was zero gain. Apparently the OEM unit flows just fine.
There really should be no measurable difference besides sound it is not meant for performance really. Other than standard deviation between pulls. Maybe a delta of 2whp if that.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I've thought that too or the 2.5" piping compared to the 3" on the 18ups is why mine sounds so much louder. Not sure. I even got back under the car after I fired it up the first time to make sure I got the right mufflers! I would have loved to compare it to another 18up but is so modified now it wouldn't be an accurate comparison.
I agree the 18+ are louder but I've never heard an S550 with stock manifolds that's as loud as one with headers and a loud cat back like Corsa Extreme, Borla Atak, Roush, etc. Even if the one with headers is a 15-17. An example is a couple who show up to our meets (hers is a 15-17 with headers and Extremes, his is a '21 or '22 with Atak and stock manifolds). Hers is clearly louder.

TW Merema

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have the Borla Type S, it was loud enough with the X-pipe that I bought the Borla resonator (I guess it has an internal crossover?) and now it sounds perfect. Aggressive deep tone at idle up to when you get on it, "barks" at high RPM, but not obnoxious which is what I would call some of the louder S550 setups that sound too raspy and harsh.

.....Or maybe I'm getting old. Now get off my lawn.

Sponsored

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1985 Mustang
I have the Borla Type S, it was loud enough with the X-pipe that I bought the Borla resonator (I guess it has an internal crossover?) and now it sounds perfect. Aggressive deep tone at idle up to when you get on it, "barks" at high RPM, but not obnoxious which is what I would call some of the louder S550 setups that sound too raspy and harsh.

.....Or maybe I'm getting old. Now get off my lawn.
I too felt the Borla S was too loud... obnoxious cold starts.... problem solved today with the install of Borla 60661 resonator... exhaust is perfect now...

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
I have it on my 2020. Love it! Yes cold starts can be pretty damn loud. If you're in an apartment garage the starts will annoy people.

On the road it's pretty quiet until you get on the gas peddle.

There is no drone at all; like factory.

Throw your foot on the peddle and it wakes up! Loud in the best way.

I have 3 close friends with GTs. One has the FP Borla mufflers, another with active, and one with some unknown setup.

Mine is the loudest and best sounding of them all. No regrets.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think the 18+ setups are louder than the 15-17’s. Might be the design of the mufflers for the quad tips and the fact that the 18+ are 3” systems vs 2.5” on the 15-17 (I believe a 3” is also available for the 15-17’s but I haven’t heard it in person). I have nothing but ear test to come up with that theory though, but to me the 18+ just sound louder than the 15-17
I think it's mostly just the higher comp ratio, more bang = more boom out the back.

Borla S type is probably one of my fav exhausts on these cars. It's definitely a lot louder than stock, and will only seem tame compared to some of the more extreme setups or cars with longtubes. It's pretty similar in volume to my MBRP Street, which also has retarded loud cold starts compared to factory, lol. I think the Street sounds better under 4k RPM, and the S Type sounds better above 4K, with a much smoother tone through the top of the rev range.
Sponsored