Sponsored

How would you rate the Borla S-type Catback on the loud scale?

NobleSteed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Mustang GT
Been thinking about getting a Borla S-type but I want to get an idea of how loud it is 1st. I had an MBRP on my old 2015 Gt that I had and I thought that was pretty good, but maybe could have been another step louder.. Basically looking for 7-8 loudness factor on a scale of 1-10 excluding headers. Anybody had experience with the S-type?
Sponsored

rcboxer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium
I have the s-type cat back on my 17. I love the sound and volume. It's not crazy loud, but it's still definitely loud and mean when you get the revs up.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I would say 7 or 8 out of 10 is right up the S Type alley. I personally think it’s the best sounding aftermarket exhaust for these cars, especially the 18+.

OP
OP

NobleSteed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Mustang GT
I have the s-type cat back on my 17. I love the sound and volume. It's not crazy loud, but it's still definitely loud and mean when you get the revs up.
Sounds good man! It definitely*seems* to be around the loudness I would want...! Yeah not looking for crazy loud like the Atak!

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I have the S Type and love it. Definitely has some growl to it without any excessive drone. Very mellow at cruise speed as well. I would rate a solid 7 on the loud scale (I have active exhaust so in track mode), maybe more when on full boogie.

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Sounds good man! It definitely*seems* to be around the loudness I would want...! Yeah not looking for crazy loud like the Atak!
S type is definitely more on the mild side with no long tubes so if you want a step up from stock but not overly loud its a solid choice.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Man, I must be the only person that thinks the S-type is loud! Or I got a defective one. My car is a 19 though so the S-type is 3" all the way though. I added two fiberglass mufflers in line to quiet it down and I still cant leave the high rise I'm working in right now without everyone in my building and the building next door knowing that I'm taking off.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Man, I must be the only person that thinks the S-type is loud! Or I got a defective one. My car is a 19 though so the S-type is 3" all the way though. I added two fiberglass mufflers in line to quiet it down and I still cant leave the high rise I'm working in right now without everyone in my building and the building next door knowing that I'm taking off.
It’s loud for sure but I don’t think it’s over the top. That would be reserved for the ATAK which is too loud IMO.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I have S-type and an FRPP X-pipe. It is loud when cold, no doubt about it, but it not too loud once hot unless you get on it. The video above is a good representation of the sound.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
It’s loud for sure but I don’t think it’s over the top. That would be reserved for the ATAK which is too loud IMO.
That's why I wonder if I got a defective set up. I'm running stock manifolds, turbos, xpipe, glass pack bullets then the standard S-type rear section. I meet a guy with gen 2 car running fbo with headers and the atak catback and his car wasn't really any louder than mine. Granted, I didn't here him cold start it and his was more raspy but not really louder. Who knows. Just throwing that out there.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That's why I wonder if I got a defective set up. I'm running stock manifolds, turbos, xpipe, glass pack bullets then the standard S-type rear section. I meet a guy with gen 2 car running fbo with headers and the atak catback and his car wasn't really any louder than mine. Granted, I didn't here him cold start it and his was more raspy but not really louder. Who knows. Just throwing that out there.
I think the 18+ setups are louder than the 15-17’s. Might be the design of the mufflers for the quad tips and the fact that the 18+ are 3” systems vs 2.5” on the 15-17 (I believe a 3” is also available for the 15-17’s but I haven’t heard it in person). I have nothing but ear test to come up with that theory though, but to me the 18+ just sound louder than the 15-17

mustangman02232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1990 Ford F-350, 1997 kenworth
how does the s type rate against the touring? I’ve had the touring with an x pipe on my cobra and a 99GT and I liked it, although for the price they are bringing now I better be sure it’s what I want before ordering it

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
how does the s type rate against the touring? I’ve had the touring with an x pipe on my cobra and a 99GT and I liked it, although for the price they are bringing now I better be sure it’s what I want before ordering it
The touring is a little louder than stock if I remember correctly. It has a resonator instead of an X pipe, but it is a smaller and better flowing resonator than the stock suitcase.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The Atak with headers is super loud. If you're as loud as that with stock manifolds, I think something might be off with your setup. :)
Sponsored