Sponsored

How well will Mach 1's hold their value?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
there is an orange and black boss near my office, can't wait till I get my mach and go wave at 'im. someone else they work with drives a bronco sport, and they try to wave at me when I am driving my 86 bronco :(
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Like anything it "depends"
IF the new s650 Mustang turns out to be not as good as the outgoing generation with less performance, then it be a solid maybe.
If the new generation runs circles around the s550 then no, It'll be just a parts bin special .
the 69/70 boss cars, were the last of the high strung performance cars for decades.
Today every passing model year the cars get better and faster, So unless the new generation looks like an edsel , a face only a mother could love. There be no reason for it to have more demand than supply.
The wild card is what happens to gas powered cars in the next decade or two.
If owning and driving a fuel powered car is a big of a pain as a race gas needing car is now, The buyer pool will be very small.
I don't see new cars with all this technology aging well.
That infotainment unit can make new vehicles nothing more than a paperweight if it craps out, or no one supports anymore, or the resto companies don't offer the modules in these spaceships to keep them road going.
I would agree with most of what you said, except that the 71 cars were faster in nearly every aspect. handled better as well. but they did not have as appealing of an appearance at the time.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Also one thing to keep in mind is that right now the prices are highly inflated. So looking on what the market is like now and trying to predict what it will be in 2-6 is difficult.

Heck I was in May offered 5000 SEK more than what I bought my MX5 for new(car was 16 months old in May). However the car would be sold with the XPEL and some other stuff, but anyway...

However in Europe or markets were only few M1s will be delivered they will most likely keep their value quite well

Last edited:

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Also one thing to keep in mind is that right now the prices are highly inflated. So looking on what the market is like now and trying to predict what it will be in 2-6 is difficult.

Heck I was in May offered 5000 SEK more than what I bought my MX5 for new(car was 16 months old in May). However the car would be sold with the XPEL and some other stuff, but anyway...

However in Europe or markets where only few M1s will be delivered they will most likely keep their value quite well
Four months ago I was offered $1k over what I paid for my new 2016 ND….my last offer a week ago is only ~$3k under what I paid. Shit is crazy. I just wish Ford would make my Mach already so I can sell.

As to value retention, who the hell knows. Clearly current values will have no relation to values in 5 years. But to be fair, I don’t think values from a year ago will, either. Moral of the story is don’t buy a depreciating asset if you are financially dependent on that asset. If my M1 value tanks and the final MT V8 S650 is only meh I’ll hold on to the M1 forever and who cares.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
This topic has come up a little in a few other threads but probably deserves its own.

Mach 1 owners / orderers generally seem to feel like it will hold its value well.

GT350 owners (and to a lesser extent, other S550 owners) seem to think it will depreciate much faster than GT350s, and won't be worth much more than any other Mustang.

Personally I think there's an excellent chance that Mach 1's will hold their value better than GTs, and will hold it similarly to Shelbys. All you need for evidence is to look on Autotrader for a 2012-13 Boss 302 and compare what they are going for against 2012-13 GT's. Or go a few years further and compare 2003-04 Mach 1 values against 2003-04 GT's. That evidence is indisputable.

The other factor to consider is the unique circumstances under which this Mach 1 was introduced. Yes, Ford will make as many as they can sell - except they can't make any right now. The total number of 2021 Mach 1's that will eventually be produced will be a lower number than anyone expected because of the plant shutdowns, and it's hard to imagine that 2022's will be able to make up the difference. So, if it really is offered for only 2021 and 22, there won't be a lot of them out there. On the flip side, there are GT350s listed for sale all over Autotrader right now, they're not at all hard to find. 4 years of GT350 production vs 2 years of Mach 1's. You can argue all you want about which car is better but the fact remains there will be people who want a used Mach 1, and there will be a lot less Mach 1's to choose from than other cars.

I say all this as someone with a Mach 1 on order but also considering buying a used GT350.
Sadly, I will probably never know and neither will most people buying them.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Sadly, I will probably never know and neither will most people buying them.
I’m going to leave my Mach 1 to my son. I may not love long enough to see it worth some crazy amount but I know this……if down the road he ever sells it for some futuristic battery powered driverless POS made in China I will come back from the grave and haunt him forever!

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
I’m going to leave my Mach 1 to my son. I may not love long enough to see it worth some crazy amount but I know this……if down the road he ever sells it for some futuristic battery powered driverless POS made in China I will come back from the grave and haunt him forever!
My kid is going to be the luckiest SOB (imo). he is 5 right now. so at 16, I imagine as long as he seems responsible, he'll have decent access to my stable, which already includes 2 FSBs, one with a stroked big block and will be on 54s soon, the other will have a stroked 351W and more reasonable tires, 35s-37s, the 71 mach 1, the 21 mach 1, the motorcycles, and Ill probably pick up a bullnose or OBS pickup in a few years, thinking 1-2 new broncos over the next 10 years, and also plan on getting him a car in 6-7 years for us to rebuild for his 16th (hoping either a classic mustang or early bronco....)

and if he ever trades one in after I die for some econobox, I'll be haunting him until he burns it down.

to the topic, I don't really care what the price does on the Mach 1, only because I have no intention of selling. Maybe if I decide I want to become a track rat, I hope they go down so I can get a white or red 600a rear seat delete HP car, a true track build one, to use for that purpose.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My kid is going to be the luckiest SOB (imo). he is 5 right now. so at 16, I imagine as long as he seems responsible, he'll have decent access to my stable, which already includes 2 FSBs, one with a stroked big block and will be on 54s soon, the other will have a stroked 351W and more reasonable tires, 35s-37s, the 71 mach 1, the 21 mach 1, the motorcycles, and Ill probably pick up a bullnose or OBS pickup in a few years, thinking 1-2 new broncos over the next 10 years, and also plan on getting him a car in 6-7 years for us to rebuild for his 16th (hoping either a classic mustang or early bronco....)

and if he ever trades one in after I die for some econobox, I'll be haunting him until he burns it down.

to the topic, I don't really care what the price does on the Mach 1, only because I have no intention of selling. Maybe if I decide I want to become a track rat, I hope they go down so I can get a white or red 600a rear seat delete HP car, a true track build one, to use for that purpose.
Wonder how many American PP vs. HP Mach1’s.
I’d bet the HP is more popular.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
My son is 19 and wants to learn how to drive stick so he can get an azure blue 2003 Mach 1 to go with my new one LOL... I always loved that color and respected the M1 guys when I had my 2003 Cobra.

1633122734459.png

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My son is 19 and wants to learn how to drive stick so he can get an azure blue 2003 Mach 1 to go with my new one LOL... I always loved that color and respected the M1 guys when I had my 2003 Cobra.

1633122734459.png
I LOVED my 2004 40th Ann. GT convertible. I still miss that car.

Sponsored

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)

1633122734459.png
My son is 14...Already started having him and my 11yr old daughter shift from the passenger seat to get a feel for the transmission. I've been looking at 03 Mach 1's too...I think a red 03 would look good with a black 21 in the garage (just don't tell the wife)

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
My son is 14...Already started having him and my 11yr old daughter shift from the passenger seat to get a feel for the transmission.
That's what got me hooked on Mustangs as a boy... mom had a gold 1974 Mustang 4-speed and would let me shift from the passenger seat.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Four months ago I was offered $1k over what I paid for my new 2016 ND….my last offer a week ago is only ~$3k under what I paid. Shit is crazy. I just wish Ford would make my Mach already so I can sell.
you have multiple cars, so sell while the selling is good and lock in the profits.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'

1633122734459.png
That was such a great color on that car. I recently saw a 5k mile Mach 1 but it wasn’t that color so I couldn’t get all that interested in it. I think my next one will be a 69 so it’s best I don’t look at these too hard before I check that box off

Thesauerchise

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kia Optima, 2021 Mach 1

1633122734459.png
I’ve definitely looked at these, it would be a nice addition to complement the 21 and my fathers 71.
Sponsored