Sponsored

How tough is Virginia International Raceway?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I'd use the roadcourse section but perhaps not everyone has used their 6th gen out there; maybe you've been out there on a different car.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how tough is this track? I heard from a Ford Tech that a track in AZ is actually ranked master class but I am not sure who does the categorizing and how reputable are the sources? Maybe I should have asked... It made me think that I should go to easier tracks on my track days so I can get better.

Tangent: I know not everyone thinks racing sims are considered real racing but I suck as Virgnia Race way with the blind corners and stuff so I'd like to get an opinion from other racers on their interpretation. My wife got me a G923 wheel so we'll see how that goes!
Sponsored

Last edited:

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
It’s not so much a Tough track to get round (safely). But it’s a tough track to put all the elements or car craft and driver skill together.

Hard braking, Sweeping off camber turn 1, tight balanced turns 3,4,5.. V fast climbing esses, blind south bend, slow Oak tree, back straight blind hill, rollercoaster drop off and track out, Hogpen hollow compression, balanced tracking out for front straight speed..

The track is easier in person over a SIM, as there is so much feel required during a lap of VIR.

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
VIR is a rewarding very technical track to drive. Any road course is "difficult" to get everything out of it. The key corners to get right for any chance of passing are Oak tree and hog pen. Both of these lead out to the straights. Also of note, the "Lightning" lap extends the lap longer than what is a usual SCCA or IMSA race lap (eliminating the esses, and adding in a few more corners). For a novice driver, I can see how VIR would be more difficult to learn than a simpler track like Summit Point (thinking of another track in that general area). Summit however has its tricks too.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not so much a Tough track to get round (safely). But it’s a tough track to put all the elements or car craft and driver skill together.

Hard braking, Sweeping off camber turn 1, tight balanced turns 3,4,5.. V fast climbing esses, blind south bend, slow Oak tree, back straight blind hill, rollercoaster drop off and track out, Hogpen hollow compression, balanced tracking out for front straight speed..

The track is easier in person over a SIM, as there is so much feel required during a lap of VIR.
I agree that driving in real life is easier than a SIM. SIMs need to try very hard to be realistic.

The issue I have is finding a good braking point in the second longest straight with a few of the S bends. I find that either I brake too early meaning trail braking isn't used so I am on throttle maintenance or I brake too late which forces me off the racing line and sometimes off the track.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VIR is a rewarding very technical track to drive. Any road course is "difficult" to get everything out of it. The key corners to get right for any chance of passing are Oak tree and hog pen. Both of these lead out to the straights. Also of note, the "Lightning" lap extends the lap longer than what is a usual SCCA or IMSA race lap (eliminating the esses, and adding in a few more corners). For a novice driver, I can see how VIR would be more difficult to learn than a simpler track like Summit Point (thinking of another track in that general area). Summit however has its tricks too.
This is why when I set up my wheel, I will be using Brands Hatch and Leguna Seca. Leguna Seca is on the list only because I have been on that track across many SIMs for 6 years so I am extremely familiar with the track.

I also got Assetto Corsa. A shame VIR isn't on it but it feels more accurate to realism over Forza and I thought Forza 7 was really good. The 2015 Mustang GT just feels too stiff and unwilling to turn in while Assetto Corsa really nailed it from what I have gathered on my real track days.

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Sorry, I am ZERO help when it comes to Sim's. I have tried 3 axis machines, being at iRacing's corp office, VR machines, I just can't do it. I can only drive quick in real life.

This is why when I set up my wheel, I will be using Brands Hatch and Leguna Seca. Leguna Seca is on the list only because I have been on that track across many SIMs for 6 years so I am extremely familiar with the track.

I also got Assetto Corsa. A shame VIR isn't on it but it feels more accurate to realism over Forza and I thought Forza 7 was really good. The 2015 Mustang GT just feels too stiff and unwilling to turn in while Assetto Corsa really nailed it from what I have gathered on my real track days.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I am ZERO help when it comes to Sim's. I have tried 3 axis machines, being at iRacing's corp office, VR machines, I just can't do it. I can only drive quick in real life.
It's hard to make the adjustment if you didn't grow up with it. Sim racing is getting progressively bigger.

I heard iRacing is really good and I like the sound of it but having a monthly subscription is annoying.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The key corners to get right for any chance of passing are Oak tree and hog pen.
maybe my motorcycle is showing but I would put more emphasis on T345 and the top of the hill before hogpen and the kink half way down it. But maybe cars are just too damn wide for that to pay dividends.

Sponsored

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
My experience stems from spec equal speed cars, where basically you are flat coming out of 5 up through the esses. Its possible to to make a run into 10, but its a really low probability, as its a really fast corner. I have actually always said, VIR is a good driving track, but I dont think a great racing track, because of the difficulties to pass. Another example, coming out of oak tree, if you get a run, you pass to drivers right (as the overtaking car is going to be to the left at track out), which is the wrong side going into 14 roller coaster. Going into 1 is really the best spot, which means you need a run out of hog pen.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe my motorcycle is showing but I would put more emphasis on T345 and the top of the hill before hogpen and the kink half way down it. But maybe cars are just too damn wide for that to pay dividends.
Unless we make this into a contact sport? LOL

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The way some people argie bargey it's not?
Well we're not on motorcycles so we definitely can't press each other's brake levers./s

I'm not a MotoGP fan but I've heard of a racer who did that. Such a dumb idea.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Sims have their place BUT, can't take into account your vehicles, tire compound, your vehicles braking performance and drop off (fade) , course prep,(clean or dusty) is it rubbered up or did it rain hard and now "green".
Sims also have the problem of the user knowing if they go past the limits, they can hit the reset/restart button.
Where, it gets very costly when you do this on track.
You have to attack the use of a sim, the same way that if you push too hard, go over the limits or pull a bonehead move,part failure your day is done. Shut it off and you are grounded for a week(what have you) from it.
Cuz. if you know you over cook turn 1 and wreck you can hit the easy button won't really help you get better when at the real thing.
Sponsored