Sponsored

How to stop tires slipping on rims?

• Thread starter Deleted member 33561
  • Start date
  • Watchers 9

Deleted member 33561

I had 2 Mickey Thompson tires installed 2 weeks ago. After two runs down the drag strip my car was shaking at high speed on the second run. The tires had slipped on the rims and were out of balance. I returned the tires to the installer and they re-balanced the wheels. Well back to the drag strip and sure enough the tires slipped again but not far enough to give me the shake I experienced before. So I'm looking for a cure to the tire slippage. Any one?
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Bead locks. Sell your wheels. And get some welds.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

That may be a solution but I don't believe it should be necessary. My previous car had over 530 wheel horsepower and the Mickey Thompsons did not slip enough to cause the wheel balance to make the car shake. I don't believe everyone who goes to the drag strip on weekends have to get their wheels balanced on Monday. I think the slip is caused by to much "lubricant" when installing the tires. It seems to me there should be a way to clean the lubricant or neutralize it. A guy at the tire shop told me there was a soap or something that will make the lubricant dry up when installing the tires. Anyone ever heard of that?

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

The first weekend I ran 21 psi. Yesterday I ran 19 psi. I seem to remember that someone from Mickey Thompson told me to run 16 to 18 psi.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
exactly which tires did you buy, slicks, street tires, etc.??
From their web site
"For proper tire inflation on Mickey Thompson Tires, please contact M/T Tech Department at 800-222-9092 (Option 5) with original tire size and stock tire pressure. (The front and rear stock tire pressure can be found on the driver door placard/sticker)"

I would start with maybe 4 pounds less than stock and drop by 2 pound increments till you no longer see any gain by dropping the pressure. Those numbers you stated sound very low.

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
What about roughing up where the bead sits to prevent slippage? Not sure if you could take a wire wheel to it or what, but that is one way to minimize slip.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
That may be a solution but I don't believe it should be necessary. My previous car had over 530 wheel horsepower and the Mickey Thompsons did not slip enough to cause the wheel balance to make the car shake. I don't believe everyone who goes to the drag strip on weekends have to get their wheels balanced on Monday. I think the slip is caused by to much "lubricant" when installing the tires. It seems to me there should be a way to clean the lubricant or neutralize it. A guy at the tire shop told me there was a soap or something that will make the lubricant dry up when installing the tires. Anyone ever heard of that?
Years ago I used Ruglyde, a lubricant and tire dressing. I liked it because it left the tires looking clean and black, but not shiny. I don't know if the transformation from shiny moist lubricant to dull and dry indicates a loss of lubricity.

Also back in the day, it was common to put a few short screws through the wheel flange and into the tire bead, explicitly to eliminate the tire creep you describe.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

exactly which tires did you buy, slicks, street tires, etc.??
From their web site
"For proper tire inflation on Mickey Thompson Tires, please contact M/T Tech Department at 800-222-9092 (Option 5) with original tire size and stock tire pressure. (The front and rear stock tire pressure can be found on the driver door placard/sticker)"

I would start with maybe 4 pounds less than stock and drop by 2 pound increments till you no longer see any gain by dropping the pressure. Those numbers you stated sound very low.
They are the Street SS tires (Drag Radials). I contacted them about 3 years ago when I put them on my Scatpack (SuperCharged). The numbers I got were around 18 psi. I had no problems although I usually run around 20 psi. Also I usually start out at around 25 psi and see how the strip is hooking but at my drag strip lately they are applying no sticky stuff and it's hard to hook. That's why I used the lower psi. Also the 2 Mt's 285/35/R19 tires are mounted on 10 inch wheels. One appears to have slipped forward and one slipped in backwards. I marked the tires with paint after the first slippage. I'm guessing one slipped on acceleration and the other slipped on hard braking. (Unless one slipped almost a full 360 degrees).

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
On a fresh set of tires I always put them on the car with the rotation going backwards. Make two passes so they rotate backwards, then swap the tires to the correct rotation, they should rotate back where they were and stay there.

Sponsored

RBINCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 10r80 GT, 07 GT500 Vert
If you don't want to go the bead lock wheels route use some type of "tire glue". Do not use screws! I use Permatex High Gasket Adhesive on the bead when mounting (use this instead of soap or other type of lub). Have used on 18", 20" and now 17" wheels with no slippage. Have the tires referenced to the rim so I can easily observe any rotation. At the track run 18-19.5 PSI.

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Dont know if this would help or not but if you trust your tire guy to not make a mess we used to do this all the time. Wipe up the lube before you seat the bead. Dont go crazy but some isopropyl mixed with water and sprayed on a rag and wipe bead again removes remaining oils and lubricants. Then carefully put bead sealer around the bead but if you goop it then when you seat the bead it will go everywhere. This process has worked to stop slippage for me in the past.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
You could have the bead area knurled. Weld offers their wheels with that option and you may be able to have that process done on your rear wheels.

upload_2019-3-7_11-54-32.jpeg

Comparison of Bead Locks, rim screws, and knurling:

Brushtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Do you have the correct width rim for the tire you are running? I question this as it can be over looked and when airing down it increase the tires ability to slip. Tires can be mounted without using lube, I used water as the lube many times when I was younger mounting tires on my rock crawlers, I do not see why this would not work on slicks etc. We also used the rim screws as a cheap bead lock.