How to sell a new GT350

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No reason this should be happening on any vehicle, but a GT350?! Ford...what is going on?!
Defective parts from a supplier. It can happen to an Ecoboost, it can happen to a GT500. Unless there is a recall we will never know how many cars are affected. Could be 10, 50, 100. Doesn't matter, Ford is fixing them with long blocks so that's that.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I remember my buddy's new 2014 Porsche GT3. He was driving home from picking up his car in Tucson, and was told not to drive it anymore because the engine could catch fire. Porsche bought it back. A year later he finally got an identical 2015, and the engine grenaded at the track with only 1,500 miles. He was done with Porsche after that. Ha ha. And that's Porsche's most popular GT car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree with the buy back idea. IMO it will be difficult to get anything over $50k on the used market. You can get a brand new GT350 for under $60k and people aren't going to pay more for used.

I am sorry to hear about the problem you had. If it were me I would much prefer hanging onto it for a few years versus taking such a heavy loss, though. If you can't get the buy back, my opinion is you should hang onto it and drive the wee out of it. Have fun while you still have a warranty. Sell before the warranty is up if you are still worried about reliability in a few years.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
If you’re hell bent on getting as much as possible back for the vehicle, then I agree with Cobra. Do the Ford Buyback (I just did mine and it took about two months). If it’s approved, I would go with the refund option and you’ll get all your money back (except for the mods). Then you can just sell the mods if you’d like elsewhere. You’ll be down a few thousand I’m sure, but it’s better than losing several thousands of dollars. Best of luck. Sorry this happened. No reason this should be happening on any vehicle, but a GT350?! Ford...what is going on?!
how did your buy back work? What vehicle and why?

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I agree with the buy back idea. IMO it will be difficult to get anything over $50k on the used market. You can get a brand new GT350 for under $60k and people aren't going to pay more for used.

I am sorry to hear about the problem you had. If it were me I would much prefer hanging onto it for a few years versus taking such a heavy loss, though. If you can't get the buy back, my opinion is you should hang onto it and drive the wee out of it. Have fun while you still have a warranty. Sell before the warranty is up if you are still worried about reliability in a few years.
Not a bad idea. I wonder if you sell this car to a car max or a car Vana type of place I doubt they’d be looking to see about a hand stamped plate or if numbers match.... they’ll buy the car @ wholesale I’m sure and it’ll be on the buyer to research it....

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I think you're finding out the hard way that money spent on a car is rarely if ever an "investment".
A-fucking-men. Boy I sure learned that lesson - God strike me dead if I ever succumb to another money-pit.

To the OP - get the motor fixed, then sell it. Or take a huge hit.

A buy back would be best, but I don't see why Ford would agree to that vs. a new motor (warranty repair) and I don't think its "lemonable" yet.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Try to take the emotion out of it. Hard to do when you have a car you have poured a lot of money into, but sometimes just focusing on what you can control is a good place to start.

First. Get the car fixed no matter what. You can pursue a buyback but you will want to put the OEM parts back on.

I would advocate getting it fixed and then driving the car for a few weeks before you dump it. As others have said, if you do sell it you need to put the OEM parts back on and try to minimize your loss.

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
I agree with the consensus on this. Get the car fixed and either pursue buy-back or keep the car. When I was looking at used GT350s in a moment of weakness the cheapest ones were either 16 tech packs or had engine replacement/lemon/buy back on the CarFax. And there were plenty. While I wouldn't be thrilled about a Ford dealer putting a new engine in my GT350 I'd be even less thrilled taking a 20k loss.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I agree with the consensus on this. Get the car fixed and either pursue buy-back or keep the car. When I was looking at used GT350s in a moment of weakness the cheapest ones were either 16 tech packs or had engine replacement/lemon/buy back on the CarFax. And there were plenty. While I wouldn't be thrilled about a Ford dealer putting a new engine in my GT350 I'd be even less thrilled taking a 20k loss.
16 Tech Packs.?

Sponsored

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
how did your buy back work? What vehicle and why?
Most of the information for my Buy Back was documented on Cobra’s Lemon Law Thread. You can look it up in my profile. Long story short: 2018 Mustang GT made knocking noises at low RPM’s starting at like 8000 miles or so (vehicle was purchased New in August 2019). Ford told me it was the timing chain. It was in the shop for 45 days or so. I read about the Buy Back process on Cobra’s thread and educated myself on what to do. Looked up my state’s lemon law which states 30 days or more in their shop could constitute a claim. Filed for a claim on Day 30 and a week later Ford RAV fortunately approved it. Got the car back after they fixed the timing chain, sprockets, intake manifold, and water pump. Drove it while the Buy Back process played out. They give you the choice of refund or replacement. I opted for replacement. Chose the new replacement vehicle with my dealer. They sent a surrender packet and I financed a new loan (my replacement was a bit of an upgrade so it was a higher amount. You need to probably finance a new loan regardless even if it’s the same amount). Surrendered the old vehicle. Drove off with my 2020 Mustang GT PP1 last week. Just got an email that they sent a check to my old finance company overnight. The balance on my old loan should be paid off in the next few days. The process took me about two months. It can be frustrating and exhausting as they honestly don’t explain crap, but very much worth it if you want a replacement or refund.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Most of the information for my Buy Back was documented on Cobra’s Lemon Law Thread. You can look it up in my profile. Long story short: 2018 Mustang GT made knocking noises at low RPM’s starting at like 8000 miles or so (vehicle was purchased New in August 2019). Ford told me it was the timing chain. It was in the shop for 45 days or so. I read about the Buy Back process on Cobra’s thread and educated myself on what to do. Looked up my state’s lemon law which states 30 days or more in their shop could constitute a claim. Filed for a claim on Day 30 and a week later Ford RAV fortunately approved it. Got the car back after they fixed the timing chain, sprockets, intake manifold, and water pump. Drove it while the Buy Back process played out. They give you the choice of refund or replacement. I opted for replacement. Chose the new replacement vehicle with my dealer. They sent a surrender packet and I financed a new loan (my replacement was a bit of an upgrade so it was a higher amount. You need to probably finance a new loan regardless even if it’s the same amount). Surrendered the old vehicle. Drove off with my 2020 Mustang GT PP1 last week. Just got an email that they sent a check to my old finance company overnight. The balance on my old loan should be paid off in the next few days. The process took me about two months. It can be frustrating and exhausting as they honestly don’t explain crap, but very much worth it if you want a replacement or refund.
Thanks. Yea I guess the main part is how long the car sits in the repair shop.

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
So Huck, any update or are you one and done?
I think ol Huck is done with Mustangs. If you are reading these well ordered replies, note the general consensus is that you need to sell a running and driving car, better for all parties. But I personally think you need to replace the engine and enjoy your ride for at least a year, what can it hurt?

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
I think ol Huck is done with Mustangs. If you are reading these well ordered replies, note the general consensus is that you need to sell a running and driving car, better for all parties. But I personally think you need to replace the engine and enjoy your ride for at least a year, what can it hurt?
Yep, think he is "one 'n done"...sorry to see. I sent him PM several days ago; NO reply.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
16 Tech Packs.?
He means 2016 GT350's with the Technology Package, which is one of the most idiotic ideas in Ford's history. They created the GT350 for the track then inexplicably built units in 2016 that didn't come with the track pack but with a tech pack instead. LOL It wasn't until 2017 that the "base" car came with the coolers and other track pack goodies. Odds are that if you find a 350 for under $45K it is a 2016 tech pack car which is the equivalent of a donkey with three legs (ok, its not that bad but it makes no sense that Ford built quite a few of these cars).
Sponsored