Sponsored

How to Retain Handling Without Front Sway Bar

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
You can safely drive these without front and back bars at 1k and WOT. The car tracks straight, and I usually leave on some of the nannies on the street. I wouldn't corner hard with, but not sure you'd ever go WOT in a corner with 1k.
dont tell that to the old aix guys.. lol anyways.. All you have to do is bring this to a fab shop and they will make a swaybar, or make something fit..

If it was me, i'd try and see if I could make a schroeder type bar work. They are straight bars, splined ends and you can put a variety of arms on the end...
Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Agree any fab shop should be able to do this. I could make one with my mig and hand grinder, be ugly and not sure the design/engineering would be on par with factory but shouldn't be hard. I don't notice mine gone except at the scales. Even the rear bar, many drag racers insist on, I leave straight, Kelly said to drop it and I did.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I did a quick google and found several fab and welding shops around Tulsa. Call a few one might be willing to do it.
It's worth a try. I can't believe company's haven't already made one which will fit when a crank support is used. Good Luck

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think that a local shop doesnā€™t want to take on the responsibility that if letā€™s say a crash occurs and thereā€™s bodily injury or a death, and itā€™s found that the sway bar was the culprit of said accident, that the immediate responsibility lies on the operator then befalls on the fab shop.

Plenty of shops that fab up T-buckets and all sorts of hot rods.

Not buying what your selling.

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Plenty of shops that fab up T-buckets and all sorts of hot rods.

Not buying what your selling.
And they are certified shops I am sure. You donā€™t have to buy it. I as a previous business owner if there was any way that any type of liability came my way I wouldnā€™t touch it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
OK dude. I'm sure the fab shops have insurance and are certified.

Whatever that means. I mean how are you certified in fabrication?

Steeda and BMR make sway bars. Do they have "special" insurance for this part because it is so critical to the car being able to be driven? (sarcasm)

What about tow links? Camber arms? Control arms? bump steer kits? I wonder about the liability of these. After all if one of these breaks your probability of crashing are pretty good.

If a sway bar breaks you get a bit more body roll.:crazy:

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
OP, numerous race cars run without sway bars. They are an easy solution to a problem and do their job well but sway bars are by no means necessary.

You will however need some quite expensive coilovers. I would contact MCS, Penske, Cortex, Kohr, Multimatic, etc to see what they think and if they offer custom packages. You'll likely need some very stiff springs with excellent shock valving but I believe it can absolutely be done.
Problem as I see it is if he go the road of very hard springs (I'm not sure what that mean though). He is no longer having a drag car as he need soft springs to be able to load the rear of the car so he can actually put the 1000 hp to the ground. That been said he need to chose where this car is going for a daily driver and going for groceries he don't need front swaybar but he don't need 1000 hp ether. I'm sure with hard springs the roll would be reduced enough so he don't need a swaybar and a lot of race cars run without swaybars when the track is wet as the extra softness is needed for the driver to be able to not slide the car in the rain. And this is the only situation where a track Mustang might think of disconnecting swaybars. But real track Mustangs are way stiffer than an off the shelf S550.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
McLaren has a system. I mean if "price isn't an issue"...šŸ‘
I think McLaren's "system" is: You don't need swaybars if you get enough roll stiffness from the coil springs.

OP, since you're going to coilovers anyway, the coilovers I've looked at use front springs at least twice as stiff as a stock GT-PP. Three or four times stiffer than stock is no big deal in the world of coilovers. If you're used to a stock-ish GT suspension and multiply the spring stiffness like that, you might not notice the loss of a stock GT swaybar.

The tricky part is the question of "Didn't you need to be able to transfer weight to the front tires?" I'm under the impression that super-stiff springs (that make a swaybar unnecessary) tend to go with big, sticky tires and large front brakes.

OP, numerous race cars run without sway bars. They are an easy solution to a problem and do their job well but sway bars are by no means necessary.

You will, however, need some quite expensive coilovers. I would contact MCS, Penske, Cortex, Kohr, Multimatic, etc to see what they think and if they offer custom packages. You'll likely need some very stiff springs with excellent shock valving but I believe it can absolutely be done.
So, yeah, this. šŸ‘ I agree with Ewheels that you should talk to some reputable suspension builders. I also imagine someone like Steeda probably has experience with drag racing suspension and might have suggestions.

Last edited:

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Iā€™ve seen whipples break crank snouts off too. Some of us are out here making big boy horsepower numbers.
Whelp, when you total the car because of the "big boy horsepower and loose it. because the car handles like a stage coach. at least you can put the gear on the next car.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Whelp, when you total the car because of the "big boy horsepower and loose it. because the car handles like a stage coach. at least you can put the gear on the next car.
They don't handle like stage coaches, even with the bars off and all drag stuff. My 66 with half the horsepower was a handful. It had to be absolutely straight or was headed for the ditch. I have spun my 2020 once, my fault stayed in it way way to long. Hammer down and tracking straight it will continue that way with almost no input; if it breaks loose get out or peddle it; the 66 required input until I let off the gas.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
They don't handle like stage coaches, even with the bars off and all drag stuff. My 66 with half the horsepower was a handful. It had to be absolutely straight or was headed for the ditch. I have spun my 2020 once, my fault stayed in it way way to long. Hammer down and tracking straight it will continue that way with almost no input; if it breaks loose get out or peddle it; the 66 required input until I let off the gas.
A vehicle that was designed, and set up to have the parts it came with on it and functional. will handle like crap. and be a danger to not only the owner, but everyone else on the road around him. It isn't the days of the Analog car. that didn't have computers that sense actions the car is making and try to correct for it, when it was programmed for a car with all the gear/underpinning connected.
But hay, not my car. My car would get a proper crank for the app. that is less likely to have the snout broken off. I sure as hell would not take the sway bar off. I'd at least fab one up that work around the issue. they make spline bars, with different ends, just for things like this.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
A vehicle that was designed, and set up to have the parts it came with on it and functional. will handle like crap. and be a danger to not only the owner, but everyone else on the road around him. It isn't the days of the Analog car. that didn't have computers that sense actions the car is making and try to correct for it, when it was programmed for a car with all the gear/underpinning connected.
But hay, not my car. My car would get a proper crank for the app. that is less likely to have the snout broken off. I sure as hell would not take the sway bar off. I'd at least fab one up that work around the issue. they make spline bars, with different ends, just for things like this.
Sorry I thought we were talking about modified cars, I got suckered in again. You are right taking parts that came with the car off will make it dangerous; I guess mine is just magic. Good luck OP.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Sorry I thought we were talking about modified cars, I got suckered in again. You are right taking parts that came with the car off will make it dangerous; I guess mine is just magic. Good luck OP.
Whelp, If he only drives straight. And never takes a corner at more than 15mph. he'll be fine. Ah the days of a pro-street car. having to crawl around a corner/turn because "reasons"
And that is what he'll have with no front bar, it go great straight line. Time to turn forgettabout it. There IS a reason they haven't sold a vehicle without a front bar in 40+ odd years. But I'm sure some know better than those that designed the chassis.
My drag car, no front bar, but it only has to turn after the shut down area. and at low speed. unlike a public roadway that you might have to move fast, to miss a yoyo that enters your lane. See what happens then.

OP
OP
QBailey

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you donā€™t have anything of value to add to the discussion probably best to keep quiet.

Obviously if I canā€™t find a suitable solution itā€™ll be a straight line only car, which is probably what itā€™s going to be anyway if weā€™re being honest with ourselves.
Sponsored