How to Retain Handling Without Front Sway Bar

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I have sent them several emails but haven’t ever received a response back. I think there’s definitely a market for this bar especially since I’ve seen so many broken crank snouts lately. Not just on procharger setups either.

Unfortunately we are not “back in the day” and most places won’t touch stuff like this anymore for insurance reasons.
For me, unless I was only going to drag the car, not an issue. But driving on the street with that increase in power, no way Jose’
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I did a quick google and found several fab and welding shops around Tulsa. Call a few one might be willing to do it.

OP
OP
QBailey

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I did a quick google and found several fab and welding shops around Tulsa. Call a few one might be willing to do it.
I have absolutely called and asked for similar things like this to be done, and for insurance reasons been told no.

I am more than capable of cutting up the factory bar and making it work, I just don’t have a way to heat treat it. I don’t think I’d ever trust it fully. It would be my luck I would pitch the car into a turn and load up the suspension, snap the bar and into the ditch I’d go.

Maybe if I hacked up the factory bar to fit and sent it to Steeda they would be more inclined to make one since the hard part is already done. Lol

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I don't see the fuss. After it is fabbed up all one needs to do is take some roll stock and bend it to shape. I don't know if they are heat treated but doing that after the bends should be easy. Steeda welds the end caps so welding shouldn't be an automatic no no.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Maybe if I hacked up the factory bar to fit and sent it to Steeda
I think I'd order some tubing with several bends the diameter I wanted the bar. Then make it fit keeping in mind you want a cnc machine or a hand bender to replicate it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
QBailey

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I don't see the fuss. After it is fabbed up all one needs to do is take some roll stock and bend it to shape. I don't know if they are heat treated but doing that after the bends should be easy. Steeda welds the end caps so welding shouldn't be an automatic no no.
I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill. But the risk/vs. reward just isn’t there for me. Especially not on a 1000+rwhp car.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill. But the risk/vs. reward just isn’t there for me. Especially not on a 1000+rwhp car.
Corner forces will be the same as stock or close to it.

I wonder if one made it out of two pieces? Anchor the inner end to the frame and the outer to the strut as normal. One on each side, kinda like torsion bars.

There has to be a fabricator who has the knowledge and tools to do this. It's not rocket science.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen the crank support mounted in a car in person so I might be missing something that makes this impossible.

OP
OP
QBailey

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I haven't seen the crank support mounted in a car in person so I might be missing something that makes this impossible.
I’ll try to get some better pictures of one when I’m in the shop next time. It’s not an impossible task it’s just finding some to do it, preferably some who knows more about what they’re doing than I do. Lol

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
OP, numerous race cars run without sway bars. They are an easy solution to a problem and do their job well but sway bars are by no means necessary.

You will however need some quite expensive coilovers. I would contact MCS, Penske, Cortex, Kohr, Multimatic, etc to see what they think and if they offer custom packages. You'll likely need some very stiff springs with excellent shock valving but I believe it can absolutely be done.

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I think that a local shop doesn’t want to take on the responsibility that if let’s say a crash occurs and there’s bodily injury or a death, and it’s found that the sway bar was the culprit of said accident, that the immediate responsibility lies on the operator then befalls on the fab shop.

Experts will get involved and if the shop is found at fault because they didn’t go through the right channels to certify said sway bar fab for street use that shop will more then likely be sued and the owner will lose everything.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I have heard from multiple people that they don't even notice the swaybar missing on the s550. I stayed with 6 rib on my Whipple so I could run a support and sway bar, but perhaps you should try it without before putting too much effort into a solution. It may be a non-issue on the street (I'm assuming you don't plan to track the car).

OP
OP
QBailey

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP, numerous race cars run without sway bars. They are an easy solution to a problem and do their job well but sway bars are by no means necessary.

You will however need some quite expensive coilovers. I would contact MCS, Penske, Cortex, Kohr, Multimatic, etc to see what they think and if they offer custom packages. You'll likely need some very stiff springs with excellent shock valving but I believe it can absolutely be done.
I know, was hoping someone had already went that route and would be willing to share.

OP
OP
QBailey

QBailey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Quinton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have heard from multiple people that they don't even notice the swaybar missing on the s550. I stayed with 6 rib on my Whipple so I could run a support and sway bar, but perhaps you should try it without before putting too much effort into a solution. It may be a non-issue on the street (I'm assuming you don't plan to track the car).
You can definitely tell it’s missing. I’ve done this on a GT350 before and the front definitely has noticeable amount of “roll” in the nose. Definitely not a deal breaker, but also noticeably not factory.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
You can safely drive these without front and back bars at 1k and WOT. The car tracks straight, and I usually leave on some of the nannies on the street. I wouldn't corner hard with, but not sure you'd ever go WOT in a corner with 1k.
Sponsored