Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Your post is excellent information, but I'm not sure if it solves the problem of filters coming off. If a filter is defective and tries to come off, then it helps. But, people who know what they're doing will torque the filter correctly and it won't come off. People who don't know what they're doing will install 8 quarts of 0w20, spin on the filter and take it 3/4 turn past finger tight, toss the hose clamp in the trash and give the car back to the owner.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If a filter is defective and tries to come off
If a filter is defective and tries to come off?

I can't think of any reason a filter would come off unless as you mentioned past my quote that the installer didn't torque the filter correctly.

I highly recommend to any owner to change the oil themselves or to go back over the whole job after you get it back. At that point, you might as well change the oil yourself.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If a filter is defective and tries to come off?

I can't think of any reason a filter would come off unless as you mentioned past my quote that the installer didn't torque the filter correctly.

I highly recommend to any owner to change the oil themselves or to go back over the whole job after you get it back. At that point, you might as well change the oil yourself.
"Defective" in this context would mean that it's made without the thread locker that FL2069ST's come with from the factory. A 2069 without it is mis-manufactured and therefore defective.

It's the red stuff in the threads in this picture:

FL2069ThreadsSmall.jpg

There was a thread - I think it was this forum - a few weeks back where someone had figured out that the Ecoboost filter was dimensionally equivalent to the 2069. It'll fit, it'll work and it might stay on, or it might not. Cheap filter and a hose clamp is always a fall back, I suppose.

Not everyone is equipped to change the oil themselves, and they're reliant on whoever does it to get it right.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Until I lose the use of both of my arms, no one else other than myself will change the oil on my car.

buggy whip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford pinto, '16 GT350/OxFo/ Trac/Stripe delete
Been using the hose clamp since '17. Never a issue with the filter backing off.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
"Defective" in this context would mean that it's made without the thread locker that FL2069ST's come with from the factory. A 2069 without it is mis-manufactured and therefore defective.

It's the red stuff in the threads in this picture:

FL2069ThreadsSmall.jpg

There was a thread - I think it was this forum - a few weeks back where someone had figured out that the Ecoboost filter was dimensionally equivalent to the 2069. It'll fit, it'll work and it might stay on, or it might not. Cheap filter and a hose clamp is always a fall back, I suppose.

Not everyone is equipped to change the oil themselves, and they're reliant on whoever does it to get it right.
That's a valid point. I dont ever recall seeing an instance of the threadlocker being a concern. If you have links, please provide them.

Ford sent out to the owners of 15 and 16 (and early 17 models) a specialized oil filter wrench that was a tighter fit to the motorcraft filter. It enabled the tech doing the work to achieve the proper torque spec. It was serialized to match the car and in my humble opinion was a nice touch. The kit also came with a complimentary oil filter.

I dont think the folks at Ford thought thread locker was a problem when it was determined that people were not torquing their filters correctly. The canister design was brought about to eliminate the filter coming loose because the tech didn't tighten the filter correctly.

As for not everyone being able to change their own oil? I dont know what to say about that.

Like I said before, if the filter comes loose, its probably because the guy who did the oil change didnt torque the filter correctly.
Sponsored