OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I've done this several times, and a cashier's check works for everyone. No issues flying with it either, as it's not really "cash".

Aside from the excellent suggestions of doing a wire transfer, the other idea to just finance and pay it off is even easier. If you get a loan and pay it off, that is not going to ding your credit report and may actually help your rating. It's credit cards that ding you when you cancel them, not loans.
The inquiry stays on, even if paid off. That’s what hurts my particular score right now. We move a lot, so there can be lots of inquiries on our credit that drag us down.
Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
The inquiry stays on, even if paid off. That’s what hurts my particular score right now. We move a lot, so there can be lots of inquiries on our credit that drag us down.
Sure, I get that, but you also get positive points for paying off the loan. So at worst, it's a wash.

Probably. I could be wrong. LOL

Good luck with the new car and the future house!

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
More importantly, why would you ever want to carry that much actual physical cash? That's a very high risk of losing it all if stolen/lost... There are zero occasions where I'd carry that much cash. Even if somebody wanted "cash" for something big, we'd have to meet up at the bank and get a cashier's check. Not cash.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I've written regular old personal checks for two cars. But they were local dealers, so that may affect the outcome/willingness of them to allow that. Check w/ the dealer if they'll allow it. One of my checks was for $44k. The other was less (mid 20s if I recall).

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
out of state checks is no good, credit bank cards no good usually, JUST WIRE MONEY. if you don t trust dealer then fly to car, check it all out and wire the money and stay in hotel till next day. I wired money night i left. Dealer said if you refuse car we ll wire money back . what s the problem?

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
BTW, I think if you take loan and pay it off next week that your credit will jump up. Verify me on that before you jump. good luck.

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
I bought my car from an out of state dealer all via email.

Once I had a firm, no-shit bottom line number, I confirmed they'd take a cashiers check and asked them who to make it out to. I went to my bank and got a cashiers check. I kept in in an envelope and kept it close to me, got on the plane (from Virginia to Detroit). No one at the airport seemed to know or care.

At the dealership, I took a quick test drive, filled out the paperwork and handed them the check. One advantage of this approach was it basically cut off any attempts to up sell me on stuff I didn't want. Undercoating? Extended waranty? etc. etc... If it wasn't already covered by the amount on the check, I didn't want it. The person got the message quickly. I guess she was obliged to continue her pitch, but quickly accepted my negative responses w/o hassles.

Nice drive home.

I'd be reluctant to wire. Harder to get back if you change your mind about getting the car.

Last edited:

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I bought my car from an out of state dealer all via email.

Once I had a firm, no-shit bottom line number, I confirmed they'd take a cashiers check and asked them who to make it out to. I went to my bank and got a cashiers check. I kept in in an envelope and kept it close to me, got on the plane (from Virginia to Detroit). No one at the airport seemed to know or care.

At the dealership, I took a quick test drive, filled out the paperwork and handed them the check. One advantage of this approach was it basically cut off any attempts to up sell me on stuff I didn't want. Undercoating? Extended waranty? etc. etc... If it wasn't already covered by the amount on the check, I didn't want it. The person got the message quickly. I guess she was obliged to continue her pitch, but quickly accepted my negative responses w/o hassles.

Nice drive home.

I'd be reluctant to wire. Harder to get back if you change your mind about getting the car.
Well what did you get and how was the drive?!!?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I carried 35-55K cash weekly when I was working as a teen for Korean guy in small ski town with no banks, who cashes all cheques at gas station.
I'll take "things that never happened" for $1000, Alex

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Is there an actual limit for how much cash you can fly with?
I honestly don't know as I don't fly much.
The problem is the TSA is incentivized to notify DEA of passengers with cash. The DEA has a habit of claiming the cash is from illegal activities despite no evidence at all. It's called forfeiture. The money is charged with a crime and you can't get it back without suing and proving the money could not possibly come from illegal activity.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The problem is the TSA is incentivized to notify DEA of passengers with cash. The DEA has a habit of claiming the cash is from illegal activities despite no evidence at all. It's called forfeiture. The money is charged with a crime and you can't get it back without suing and proving the money could not possibly come from illegal activity.
It's legal theft and they do it all the time. Cars, cash, guns. You think they're just donating that stuff to charity? Please. And the drugs themselves? Y'all know they are socking away some to set themselves up for retirement, too.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Their logic must be something like "no law-abiding, self-respecting citizen would walk around with large sums of cash so it MUST be from illegal activity and therefore it can be confiscated". Guilty until proven innocent 🤔

That's crazy, but it sure is an effective deterrent to being a law-abiding citizen travelling with large sums of money.

TentacleKitty

Tentacle Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 Toyota Tacoma
This thread interested me, given the idea to purchase a car further away (having to fly to it), and how to pay for it. I found a video on YouTube, where a guy shares his story involving two different dealerships, where he purchased from one dealership, and had the car delivered to another. It is in the video between 6:16 and 8:02. As he explains, it requires agreement from everyone involved, but it is an interesting idea.

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
This thread interested me, given the idea to purchase a car further away (having to fly to it), and how to pay for it. I found a video on YouTube, where a guy shares his story involving two different dealerships, where he purchased from one dealership, and had the car delivered to another. It is in the video between 6:16 and 8:02. As he explains, it requires agreement from everyone involved, but it is an interesting idea.

It is very rare that courtesy delivery happens nowadays. Certainly neither Granger nor Chapman do that. Chapman used to but stopped because of the hassle and complains about the extra fees. Nowadays most members who buy from either dealership either drive the cars back home or have them shipped
Sponsored