Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know what is the problem here, I fly internationally all the time with a decent amount of cash all the time. A little below 10K so I don't have to deal with extra paperwork. No TSA ever said anything, never.
Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Personally, I think it's somewhat touching OP trusts the Mustang6g crew with such an important topic as how to pay "cash" for his new ride, and I'm looking forward to his next post on how to buy his new summer home in the Hamptons :wink: 🤣

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I just wrote a personal check when I flew to buy this stang. They didn't even cash it for a few days later...

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Reading this trying to figure out if the OP just wants to brag or seriously, not smart enough to know what to do.

Mr. Got Rocks in a bar drunk flashing the cash trying to attract the girls. Gets robbed in the parking lot. Can't figure out why .... LMAO

One hint if he's this naive, is to never let others know what you're carrying $$$ or weapons
Naive. I’ve never done this before. I normally buy used locally or when I do buy new it’s a $20k commuter car. No flying means I can hand carry a cashier’s check if they don’t want to take a normal check and wait for it to clear.
I’m confident plenty of people here have worked through this. I got useful alternatives and reassurance people have flown with cashier’s checks.
Yes, I have trust issues with civil asset forfeiture. I don’t believe the government would act fairly.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If one has an account bring the checkbook and write a check - same as cash, no fees and no money order fees. The Seller or Dealership can call the bank it's drawn on to verify funds if the concern is "wait to clear" timing. Once the Seller or Dealer has verified funds, they can immediately deposit said check.
This. I've written checks for vehicles many times with no issue. Easy to verify.

Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Yes, I have trust issues with civil asset forfeiture. I don’t believe the government would act fairly.
This is not naive, there are truck loads of case files from seizures abuse. Having a healthy mistrust of any government agency is just being prudent.

Having said that, the majority of TSA workers are just there doing their jobs. As with most groups, it's 10% or less of them that cause 90% of the problems. Be polite, show them the respect that their authority demands (i.e. no stupid jokes or belligerent comments at their expense), but keep a watchful eye in case you encounter one of the 10% that cause 90% of the problems.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Naive. I’ve never done this before. I normally buy used locally or when I do buy new it’s a $20k commuter car. No flying means I can hand carry a cashier’s check if they don’t want to take a normal check and wait for it to clear.
I’m confident plenty of people here have worked through this. I got useful alternatives and reassurance people have flown with cashier’s checks.
:computerrage: :computerrage:

This is not naive, there are truck loads of case files from seizures abuse. Having a healthy mistrust of any government agency is just being prudent.

Having said that, the majority of TSA workers are just there doing their jobs. As with most groups, it's 10% or less of them that cause 90% of the problems. Be polite, show them the respect that their authority demands (i.e. no stupid jokes or belligerent comments at their expense), but keep a watchful eye in case you encounter one of the 10% that cause 90% of the problems.
:computerrage:

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
My bank has partnerships with other banks so that I can take a cash advance on my checking/savings account using my debit card. (essentially using a bank teller like an ATM for large withdrawls)
This partnership is so that I can go almost anywhere in the nation and have access to my money even though there is no branch of my bank near me.
You might want to see if your bank offers something like this with other banks in the area in which you're travelling.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Anybody got tips on how to pay "cash" when you're flying to your dealer? Right now it looks like my options are:

1) Order Teller Check (Cashier's Check) and fly with it. I hear horror stories of TSA finding these and confiscating them. Seems a great way to lose some serious change with no recourse.
2) Order a Teller Check and mail it to dealer. Seems like it could be a problem with USPS. Not sure I'd be covered if it went "missing". Even if I was, it would take too long to get replaced and I'd have to fly back home or drive to Wichita for a new one.
3) Negotiate a wire transfer. I'm trying not to bug Granger, I don't know if they accept these. It seems the most secure route though.

I've never flown to pick up a car, they've always been within driving distance. I'm sure plenty of people here have done it. What I'm NOT willing to do is finance it and then pay off the loan. The whole point of me switching to cash deals is to keep everything off my credit. I'm trying to get back to 800+ here. We're looking to buy a house soon.
FEDEX NEXT DAY signature required works for me.

Sponsored

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The answer is don't pay cash. Take the dealer financing and the rebate offers and/or lower negotiated price that comes with it. Leave with your new car. Call the bank and pay it off.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
Wow, I never knew this. But then again, I never fly anywhere.
doesnt just happen with flying...youtube "life savings confiscated". Pretty crazy stuff.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I've done this several times, and a cashier's check works for everyone. No issues flying with it either, as it's not really "cash".

Aside from the excellent suggestions of doing a wire transfer, the other idea to just finance and pay it off is even easier. If you get a loan and pay it off, that is not going to ding your credit report and may actually help your rating. It's credit cards that ding you when you cancel them, not loans.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Or just use your bank card. If you have a spending limit, just call your bank a few days beforehand and explain the situation, they would gladly give you a temporary increase on your daily spending limit, especially if you give them an approximate amount and where you will be spending it.

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Or just use your bank card. If you have a spending limit, just call your bank a few days beforehand and explain the situation, they would gladly give you a temporary increase on your daily spending limit, especially if you give them an approximate amount and where you will be spending it.
I’m pretty confident a dealer won’t want to pay that fee.
Sponsored