BB125

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2017 GT with stock exhaust. I would like a little more rumble and volume but can't tell much about real-world tone and volume from videos. Recently I drove a rental 2019 GT and liked what I heard. I think that is "about right" in my estimation; I'm not looking for melt-your-face-off sound and also hoping to not spend more money than I need to.

Would the swap-out of the briefcase for an H-pipe be about what I'm looking-for?

Alternatively, is there an axleback that would get a 2017 somewhat like a 2019?

Yet another idea: with tons of people swapping-out their factory exhaust for after-market, I might be able to find a every-so-slightly-used 2019 OEM cat-back for a fair price. Could that work?

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
You can get 2019 stock exhausts for dirt cheap. When I get my catback im planning scrapping the thing. It's not worth sitting on.
I think an H pipe can get you where trying to be. It might be a tad deeper and louder than stock.

OP
OP
BB125

BB125

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can get 2019 stock exhausts for dirt cheap. When I get my catback im planning scrapping the thing. It's not worth sitting on.
I think an H pipe can get you where trying to be. It might be a tad deeper and louder than stock.
I wonder: does a 2018-2020 exhaust fit a 2015-2017 (other than needing a wider rear diffuser?)

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Am I the only one who think Coyotes usually sound like crap? My previous 9 Mustangs sounded beautiful. I’ve only heard 2-3 Coyotes that sounded “decent”. Is it the firing order or what?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one who think Coyotes usually sound like crap? My previous 9 Mustangs sounded beautiful. I’ve only heard 2-3 Coyotes that sounded “decent”. Is it the firing order or what?
You're allowed to be wrong.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2017 GT with stock exhaust. I would like a little more rumble and volume but can't tell much about real-world tone and volume from videos. Recently I drove a rental 2019 GT and liked what I heard. I think that is "about right" in my estimation; I'm not looking for melt-your-face-off sound and also hoping to not spend more money than I need to.

Would the swap-out of the briefcase for an H-pipe be about what I'm looking-for?

Alternatively, is there an axleback that would get a 2017 somewhat like a 2019?

Yet another idea: with tons of people swapping-out their factory exhaust for after-market, I might be able to find a every-so-slightly-used 2019 OEM cat-back for a fair price. Could that work?

Let me know what you think.
I'd recommend the FP by Borla touring axleback.

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I wonder: does a 2018-2020 exhaust fit a 2015-2017 (other than needing a wider rear diffuser?)
I think you would need a diffuser, from what ive seen the under body of these cars are identical. Personally with a diffuser+stock exhaust. Just do an h pipe or better for that cost you can basically overhaul the entire catback

OP
OP
BB125

BB125

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd recommend the FP by Borla touring axleback.

Wow, I do like how that sounds (at least on video.) I wish I could hear each in-person.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I’m waiting for the RTR street spec to get back in stock...

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
While it’s hard to beat the deep “feel it rumble you internally” sound of the 4.6L New Edge Mustangs when properly equipped with a 2.5” catback aftermarket exhaust... My 2019 GT with active exhaust, when in track mode, has one of the best sounding exhausts I’ve ever heard, beaten only by the GT350.

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
I replaced the resonater on my 2017 with an X-pipe. Its a bit louder than stock, but is easy to live with and is relatively inexpensive.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced the resonater on my 2017 with an X-pipe. Its a bit louder than stock, but is easy to live with and is relatively inexpensive.
But sounds like this :puke:. Such tinny rasp with any significant throttle. It's all because of the oem mufflers.

OP
OP
BB125

BB125

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But sounds like this :puke:. Such tinny rasp with any significant throttle. It's all because of the oem mufflers.
The rasp in that video is pretty bad. Would an H-Pipe resonator delete be better?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The rasp in that video is pretty bad. Would an H-Pipe resonator delete be better?
Minimally. There's not much to do with the stock mufflers that improves it. They're chambered and the specific design makes them sound very tinny. After doing this myself (that's my video) and many other combinations, I'd strongly recommend doing the axleback. Tone quality will be much better. If you want more volume you can always do a resonator delete.
Sponsored